Kitchen Cakes...do You Decorate?

Business By FH_Cakes Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 5:48pm by FH_Cakes

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 30

This is a first for me. I have a customer who order a 3-D boat, but also needs 2 sheet cakes to serve to the guests. Do I decorate the sheet cakes or frost blank?

29 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 30

I frost it plain white with border and that's about it..No design really...

Sweetstuff3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetstuff3 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:07am
post #3 of 30

I'd ask the customer what they want. If they are want it decorated then it would be an additional cost.

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:09am
post #4 of 30

I usually only do them for weddings, but I offer them iced plain in the same color as the main cake so the guests can't tell them apart. If they want it decorated, I charge for a decorated cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 30

For kitchen cakes (I don't do sheet cakes) I flat ice the top and use a tip 21 on the sides in an up and down pattern. FAST.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:38am
post #6 of 30

I trim the bottoms of the kitchen cake to match the trim on the wedding cake. No other decorations. That way when it is plated, it looks like the wedding cake too.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:58am
post #7 of 30

So what's the difference between a kitchen cake and a sheet cake?

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

So what's the difference between a kitchen cake and a sheet cake?

Sheet cakes are one layer of cake with icing on the top & sides. See also: slab cakes. Cuz it's a slab of cake.

Kitchen cakes are torted/layered and filled the same as the wedding cake, sometimes with decorating to match the wedding cake. When cut they're indistinguishable from the tiered cake.

Basically using sheet cakes is a great way to irk one's wedding guests. thumbs_up.gif

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:46am
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Basically using sheet cakes is a great way to irk one's wedding guests. thumbs_up.gif

So true...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:50am
post #10 of 30

If they want some plain, secret cakes in the back room to serve to their "Non-A-List" guests, then they get "plain and ugly". The price was the same from me, so I dont' know that they thought they were saving.

I swear, I think people do the "get a big cake and a couple of sheet cakes on the side" out of habit, without really knowing WHY they are ordering it that way. I mean, in my shop the cost was the same, so they can't use the excuse of saving money ..... because they didnt'.

elvisb Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 30

FH_Cakes: I would ask the customer what they want and if they want the sheets decorated, extra charge for your extra time. Around here a "cake on the side to add servings" gets scored so kitchen help knows how to cut it, then a little detail on every other piece. So in your case, you could use round tips to make a little life preserver, blue dots to look like bubbles, little fish outline, age of the child, just something theme related.

Wow! You ladies really have a thing against sheet cakes! LOL Must be a regional thing. I've never heard of them--or the concept.

Around here, wedding guests assume they will be served sheet cakes and not the display. I have had so many people want a fake cake and sheet cakes because of the cutting diagrams for the tiers. So many have complained that when it comes time to serve the cake, the poor cake cutters have a demanding line of people and have no idea how to take apart the cake to cut (and no desire to look at the instructions) and end up just hacking away at it hoping they get the right amoung of pieces. Sheet cakes can come with fillings just like the display would have, but no one around here really asks for that.

So if I'm getting this right, you would torte and layer 2 sheet cakes so they are 4" tall just like the display cakes? And then just decorate the sides so it matches the display's tiers? Hmmm, that would be something unique to introduce to the area. (That my competition doesn't have. I like being unique.) icon_smile.gif And it would still be a way to stay away from having to cut the display, which would keep the customers happy.

So for FH_cakes, here's an idea icon_smile.gif stack the 2 sheet cakes like a kitchen cake, but ice blue to look like water with piped on waves, the put your boat on top. Would certainly give your customer the WOW factor. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 30

Yeah, but if you do all that work decorating the kitchen cake, you should be charging the SAME price as for the display cake. Same decorating/same work/same price.

leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 30

Whenever I have a bride with the great idea to use an ACTUAL sheet cake, not a kitchen cake, I always remind her, "You'll need to identify the guests for your caterer that are supposed to get the real wedding cake and the guests who are to get the sheet cake. Because there's a big difference in the ways it looks on the plate and ALL your guests are gonna know that some are more special than others."

That usually ends that part of the conversation.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 30

No decoration...just iced. if it's for a wedding, it gets split and filled the same as the main cake....just not decorated. I've never gotten a request for kitchen cakes with a novelty cake. hmmmm...LOL...couldn't ya take all the trimmin's and slap some icing on 'em???? or pile 'em on a tray for back up? LOL! I just imagined the facial expression of someone seeing a pile of scraps on a tray....

elvisb Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Whenever I have a bride with the great idea to use an ACTUAL sheet cake, not a kitchen cake, I always remind her, "You'll need to identify the guests for your caterer that are supposed to get the real wedding cake and the guests who are to get the sheet cake. Because there's a big difference in the ways it looks on the plate and ALL your guests are gonna know that some are more special than others."

That usually ends that part of the conversation.

People actually get miffed because their piece of cake LOOKS different? icon_eek.gif Sorry, I just can't wrap my head around that. icon_redface.gif I hate when people say "It's just cake", but that's the only thing that comes to mind right now. I mean, sheet cakes can come in the same flavors as the wedding cake, same buttercream or fondant, same filling if it's to be torted. It's not like the bride told the caterer Tables 1-6 get cordon blue and wedding cake, and Table 7-9 get chicken nuggets and an Oreo. Now that would be degrading. If it's that big of a deal, why not just order a bigger wedding cake? Again, sorry, this is just a hard concept for me to grasp. Cake is important, but your piece of cake should not be a status marker. (Sorry if this offends anyone. I don't really want to get flamed for not understanding this, but I'm trying.)

carrywilsonhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrywilsonhome Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I swear, I think people do the "get a big cake and a couple of sheet cakes on the side" out of habit, without really knowing WHY they are ordering it that way.

I do too. Some magazine told them to. Or some stupid planner who doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.

leah_s Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 30

1. When a sheet cake gets torted and filled it's a kitchen cake. I'll do those.
2. Sheet cake is slab cake, one tallish layer, aka kids birthday cake. I don't do those.
3. Yes, guests get plenty pissed off about all sorts of things, and you can find lots of websites where they voice their opinion about weddings. Part of my job is to understand receptions from the guests' perspective too.
4. Why not just order a bigger wedding cake? That's my point.

carrywilsonhome Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #18 of 30

It's more work for me to make separate kitchen cakes than to up the size the tiers a couple of inches. I charge MORE to do kitchen cakes. But I never get taken up on the offer. Wonder why?

elvisb Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

1. When a sheet cake gets torted and filled it's a kitchen cake. I'll do those.
2. Sheet cake is slab cake, one tallish layer, aka kids birthday cake. I don't do those.
3. Yes, guests get plenty pissed off about all sorts of things, and you can find lots of websites where they voice their opinion about weddings. Part of my job is to understand receptions from the guests' perspective too.
4. Why not just order a bigger wedding cake? That's my point.

Thanks hun! Now I'm gettin' it! thumbs_up.gif [/i]

all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:35pm
post #20 of 30

for one thing, sometimes the design of the cake doesn't reasonably allow for additional cake (a six tiered cake, depending on the shapes used, and design chosen, a larger cake could mean way the heck too much cake or altering the design somewhat)...there's plenty of reasons kitchen cakes are ordered (just in case everyone shows up...if not, they can be given away whole.)

carrywilsonhome Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

for one thing, sometimes the design of the cake doesn't reasonably allow for additional cake (a six tiered cake, depending on the shapes used, and design chosen, a larger cake could mean way the heck too much cake or altering the design somewhat)...there's plenty of reasons kitchen cakes are ordered (just in case everyone shows up...if not, they can be given away whole.)

There's not much I can't do when I have every single size of round and square from 4 to 20 inches, odd and even. Hundreds of configurations with 5 to 10 servings difference between one and the next.

all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #22 of 30

Right...but if the design includes say hexs and rounds and the top round is a 4", the b-t-b would have to alter the desired design or opt for a honkin' tier on the bottom when actually an 8" kitchen cake would suffice.

or all hexs, petals, teardrops, paisley, oval...

indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:31pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:

there's plenty of reasons kitchen cakes are ordered (just in case everyone shows up...if not, they can be given away whole.)

Whole round 8" cakes and 10" round cakes can ALSO be given away whole.

And NO ONE has a 100% show up rate. Even Donald Trump didn't have a 100% show rate and he PAYS people to be his friend! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sheet cakes need scored so the cutter know how to cut them? I seriously question putting a knife in the hand of someone who doesn't know how to cut a square cake into little squares.

And if a bride selects Aunt Harriet to cut her cake, and Aunt HArriet has NO IDEA how to disassemble and cut a wedding cake ...... well, I just don't know how to address the STUPIDITY of this kind of decision! icon_eek.gif That would be like Mario Andretti asking me to be the pit crew member who changes his tire during the Indy 500. dunce.gif

But if cake cutters are trying to go by the ridiculous circle-method cutting of a cake, no wonder they are confused. Refer them to my cutting method (link in my signature).

As wedding cake professionals, it is part of our JOB to educate the client on the information they need to help insure a beautiful and flawless reception.

If a wedding cake baker isn't doing that, then that baker is no better than the cake order-taking-clerk at the grocery store bakery.

all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:42pm
post #24 of 30

[quote="indydebi"]

Quote:

there's plenty of reasons kitchen cakes are ordered (just in case everyone shows up...if not, they can be given away whole.)

Whole round 8" cakes and 10" round cakes can ALSO be given away whole. quote]

huh?

LOL! Did I word that so that those who don't show up can be given away whole? LOL! Yeah, that too! I'ma tell ya now, you're gonna be mightily busy if you plan on correcting my writing skills....I think I may be one who gives ya the eeby jeebies with the use of ...

I get this all the time, "well, we sent out ___ invites. there's several people on some of those. some, i know won't be coming. so, maybe ____." they do their own figuring. I don't know their families and friends and refuse to use the percentages on any of 'em.

Oh, yeah...and sometimes. A week or less, a call comes in, "we just counted all the confirmed invites. we need more cake." not a problem...kitchen cake. done.

indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #25 of 30

[quote="all4cake"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Whole round 8" cakes and 10" round cakes can ALSO be given away whole. quote]

huh?

LOL! Did I word that so that those who don't show up can be given away whole? LOL!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif No, no, no! I read your post as whole leftover sheet cakes can be given away and I was just saying that whole leftover 8" and 10" round tiers can be given away! icon_lol.gif

Maybe we both need to recharge with more coffee! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:32pm
post #26 of 30

LOL! Ooooooooooooh. I see said the blind man. I've not yet made sheet cake for a kitchen cake. I reckon that's why what you said wasn't clickin'. It's all clickin' now though. Especially, the part about more coffee!

carrywilsonhome Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:

Right...but if the design includes say hexs and rounds and the top round is a 4", the b-t-b would have to alter the desired design or opt for a honkin' tier on the bottom when actually an 8" kitchen cake would suffice.

or all hexs, petals, teardrops, paisley, oval...

Oh you got me. If you insist on nit picking, then yep, I guess you'd have to get a frigging kitchen cake. icon_cool.gif

all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 9:00pm
post #28 of 30

Please, forgive me. I wasn't nitpicking. I was just stating that there were reasons that would justify a kitchen cake over adding the servings to the main cake.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:23am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

People actually get miffed because their piece of cake LOOKS different? icon_eek.gif Sorry, I just can't wrap my head around that. icon_redface.gif I hate when people say "It's just cake", but that's the only thing that comes to mind right now. I mean, sheet cakes can come in the same flavors as the wedding cake, same buttercream or fondant, same filling if it's to be torted. It's not like the bride told the caterer Tables 1-6 get cordon blue and wedding cake, and Table 7-9 get chicken nuggets and an Oreo. Now that would be degrading. If it's that big of a deal, why not just order a bigger wedding cake? Again, sorry, this is just a hard concept for me to grasp. Cake is important, but your piece of cake should not be a status marker. (Sorry if this offends anyone. I don't really want to get flamed for not understanding this, but I'm trying.)

Not a flame, but just a little story to help you understand.

A few years ago I attended a wedding in which my husband was the best man. He was seated at the head table and I was seated at a table not far from there. I had no problem with that. Of course, I checked out the wedding cake. A cute two tier with ivory buttercream and navy ribbon. I was able to see the inside of the cake during the cutting. White cake with lemon filling. My favorite! I was excited. Imagine my disappointment when the server sits down a cube of dry bland chocolate cake in front of me. There was a little blob of filling in the middle. Some sticky, gooey concoction that was supposed to be bavarian cream I think. So there I see my husband sitting at the head table with his beautiful slice of white cake with lemon filling. He's not eating it though because he's not into cake. I didn't want to offend the bride and groom by walking up to the head table for everyone to see and exchange cake slices with my husband.

That's why little tiered cakes with sheet cakes are a bad idea. I would have noticed the difference even if I wasn't a cake decorator.

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:48pm
post #30 of 30

Thank you everyone for replying. My situation is a first for me, so I appreciate the feedback. I do alot of 3-D cakes. In this case the Groom was very specific on the design of the boat he wanted, he also requested the sheet cakes. I tried to get him to do it all in one but this was ultimately his decision.

I explained to him the cakes would simply be iced, but after thinking about it further I was unsure if that was the right way to provide the kitchen cake. Thank you again to everyone who chimed in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%