Bakels Gumpaste Not Drying?

Decorating By wilsonar Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm by KoryAK

wilsonar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilsonar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! Has anyone had trouble with Bakels gumpaste not drying completely? I was using some for a cake on Saturday and left it out to dry overnight and it was still pliable the next day...

Anyone know why it wouldn't dry or had the same problem?

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 9

Could be humidty, could be rolled too thick and needs more time to dry. I usually allow a couple of days, if not more, to dry.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 9

It's beem a number of yrs since I used it and unless they have changed the formula it **WILL NEVER** dry! icon_sad.gif

wilsonar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 9

kakeladi, i'm glad to hear that someone else had the same problem and it's the gumpaste and not something i was doing wrong... i guess i won't be buying that gumpaste again.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 9

I use and don't have any problems with it drying.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 9

That's what I use and I've never had trouble with drying. If it's a thicker piece it may need a couple days, but thin flowers dry overnight or quicker in my experience.

wilsonar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 9

i cut out numbers that were between 1/8 and 1/4 an inch think and they still didn't dry after at least 48 hours. is this normal? does it really need longer than that to dry completely?

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 9

I had a huge problem the first time I used Bakels gumpaste. I made all my flowers/decorations for a cake and they dried very nicely. Then a week or so later we had very rainy weather. The gumpaste got really moist again and all the flowers looked wilted. I tried to get it dry again with no success. Since then I have used a different brand. So, maybe it was just that one batch-who knows.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 9

I bought Bakels before.... once. As a pp said, it WILL NEVER DRY. Who in their right mind formulates GUM PASTE that will never dry??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%