Bakels Gumpaste Not Drying?

Decorating By wilsonar Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm by KoryAK

wilsonar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! Has anyone had trouble with Bakels gumpaste not drying completely? I was using some for a cake on Saturday and left it out to dry overnight and it was still pliable the next day...

Anyone know why it wouldn't dry or had the same problem?

8 replies
tiggy2 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 9

Could be humidty, could be rolled too thick and needs more time to dry. I usually allow a couple of days, if not more, to dry.

kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 9

It's beem a number of yrs since I used it and unless they have changed the formula it **WILL NEVER** dry! icon_sad.gif

wilsonar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 9

kakeladi, i'm glad to hear that someone else had the same problem and it's the gumpaste and not something i was doing wrong... i guess i won't be buying that gumpaste again.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 9

I use and don't have any problems with it drying.

PiccoloChellie Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 9

That's what I use and I've never had trouble with drying. If it's a thicker piece it may need a couple days, but thin flowers dry overnight or quicker in my experience.

wilsonar Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 9

i cut out numbers that were between 1/8 and 1/4 an inch think and they still didn't dry after at least 48 hours. is this normal? does it really need longer than that to dry completely?

funcakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 9

I had a huge problem the first time I used Bakels gumpaste. I made all my flowers/decorations for a cake and they dried very nicely. Then a week or so later we had very rainy weather. The gumpaste got really moist again and all the flowers looked wilted. I tried to get it dry again with no success. Since then I have used a different brand. So, maybe it was just that one batch-who knows.

KoryAK Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 9

I bought Bakels before.... once. As a pp said, it WILL NEVER DRY. Who in their right mind formulates GUM PASTE that will never dry??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%