Camera Reccomendations?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm by Rylan

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 9

I want to get a nicer digital camera in order to take better pictures of my cakes (oh & my kids too LOL)! I don't need a super huge professional one, but I want one that can take some basic professional looking pictures. Right now I have a small Kodak camera that was under $100 and it frustrates me to no end. The pictures come out clear only sometimes and I can't really zoom closely with it to get details clear.

I see some very beautiful photos on here and am wondering what type of cameras does everyone use? Do you use natural lighting or do you use flash?

TIA icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 9

I have a Nikon digital SLR which I love. I like the SLR's as you can always purchase extra lenses and you have more control over your pic. I do all of my kids pics as I am a cheapskate and can't see paying someone to do something that I can do.
I know Wal-Mart online had good deals on the Nikon SLR as I just helped my brother purchase one.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 9

Canon Powershot sx20

http://tinyurl.com/28hzlks

It's great because it has 20X zoom, 12 MP and a pivoting display screen.

If you look in my pics, everything above the flag cake was taken with this camera. Everything below was taken with an older model, 4MP Canon...still great pics. I'm a die hard Canon fan. Only drawback to this camera is that it is not small enough to carry in your pocket. But I haven't seen one that small that can take pictures this good.

Edited to add: I forgot, it also takes knock-your-socks-off DVD quality HD video.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 9

In the first issue of the Cake Central magazine. They tell you how to get
great shots even with a point & shoot digital camera. A lot has to do with
the lighting and angle of your pictures. And the use of a tripod!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 9

I use a Canon Cyber Shot and a Nikon D60. I like the SLR better because I can change up the lenses. I prefer natural lighting. I actually take pictures outside as well.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 9

I have a Fujifilm Finepix S8100, I've had it for 2 years & if I get a bad picture its usually my fault becasue of lighting.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 9

Rylan ~
You could use an old ''Polaroid'' or a ''Brownie'' and your cakes would still
look over the top AWESOME!!!! icon_smile.gif

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all for the recommendations. I will take some time to research them. I just didn't want to research every camera out there and wanted to know what was working for others in order to narrow down the field.

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

Rylan ~
You could use an old ''Polaroid'' or a ''Brownie'' and your cakes would still
look over the top AWESOME!!!! icon_smile.gif

Thanks! That is so kind of you to say, haha. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%