Did You Hear... Walmart No Longer Makes Wedding Cakes!

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 1:36am by abra526

Babypickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babypickles Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #31 of 38

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My Mom has been decorating cakes for many many years and was coming to Florida from South Dakota for my wedding and was going to make my cakes while she was here. Unfortunately my Daddy had a heart attack two weeks before my wedding and was not cleared to travel so at the last minute I had to order my cake from Walmart. I was very lucky because I showed them a picture of what I want and they made it and it was fantastic. I would have totally rather of had my Mom's cake but I can not complain because it was simply the most incredible day of my entire life. However, that being said I am brand new to cake decorating and will probably have my ah-ha moment sooner or later. icon_surprised.gif)

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #32 of 38

I never knew that Wal Mart made wedding cakes. I learn something new everyday.

RanaPeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanaPeach Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

OMG! icon_surprised.gif That is tragic! Where are all those cheap people going to go now? Oh, Lordy. What has this world come to. My, my, my, my. tsk tsk...... icon_cry.gificon_evil.gif
Sandy

I just have to say that cheap may not be the right word. I did not have a lot of money for my wedding and had to have a wal-mart cake. It wasn't because I was cheap.

As far as I know my wal-mart still makes them b/c there aren't very many other places to get wedding cakes here surprisingly. I'm looking to change that soon though!!!

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #34 of 38

Aahhh.. so that is why Wal-mart is expanding their cake items in my area... They want you to buy your own pans and stuff and do it yourself. They still plan on making money on wedding cakes, just in another way. icon_rolleyes.gif

RanaPeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RanaPeach Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #35 of 38

They have actually cut back on their cake supplies here

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #36 of 38

I wonder if this applies to the Sam's Clubs too?

...And Tinygoose, I'm impressed that you know all of the words! ...And yes, it's stuck in my head now too! icon_smile.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:11am
post #37 of 38

At a Super walmart I was at a week ago they are carrying some of the Duff supplies now. Like cake wraps and kits. Maybe they just figure that people will make their own cakes.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #38 of 38

We have a HyVee here in Topeka, and I was walking past their bakery one day, noticing how nice their cakes actually looked. They offer many different styles, including fondant covered cakes. So, out of curiosity, I priced checked. They charge 4.00/serving for BC and 5.00/serving and up for fondant. Their dummies looked really nice, so for those prices, I would hope they can recreate them! I was really suprised to see such caliber of work from a grocery store bakery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%