I Need Serious Help With Chocoalte Buttercream!!!!!

Baking By mememalasia Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 4:22am by Ruth0209

mememalasia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mememalasia Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 18

despite many different attempt at this icing i seem to repeatedly not like the results. i just made one that i am pretty happy with the tast and color but it is grainy for some reason. the only dry ingredient are powdered sugar, cocoa, both of which i sifted, and some meringue powder. any help at all would be super helpful i am officially at a loss.

17 replies
HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememalasia

the only dry ingredient are powdered sugar, cocoa, both of which i sifted, and some meringue powder. any help at all would be super helpful i am officially at a loss.

Hmmm.... Which type of sugar did you use?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 18

I never use meringue powder. Never found it to be a necessary ingredient. I struggled with my chocolate bc icing too...and I am still open to other recipes. I use the buttercream dreamrecipe here on cake central for my chocolate and white butter cream recipes which incudes shortening and butter.

For my chocolate, I add about a half cup of cocoa powder...that can be adjusted to your chocoalte taste. I found mixing my butter and shortening until smooth as sour cream was the key to successful results.

I'm sure you will get other opinions....all of which are probably going to be great! Good luck.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 18

I never use meringue powder, I'm betting that is where the grit is coming from. I use cooled strong coffee as the liquid in my chocolate buttercream, takes it to the next level!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 18

use indydebis with chocolate milk and cocoa to taste. Using real chocolate probably would be chocolatier but I can't be bothered with melting it lol!
I think some brands or ps are better than others - have a search through old posts to see which ones are recommended.
xx

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 18

I have a fantastic recipe. It is heavenly! I believe it is the Wilton recipe, but I am not sure anymore. Now, I usually use it between layers. Because of this I whip the tarnations out of it and it is very airy as a consequence. So, when making it I recommend that you beat it at a very low speed.

I get tons of compliments on it and could eat it with a spoon! icon_redface.gif

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup cocoa or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
3-4 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.

+ View Larger

instructions
Stiff Consistency: In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

Chocolate Mocha Icing: Substitute cold brewed strong coffee for milk in Chocolate Buttercream recipe.

Darker Chocolate Icing: Add an additional 1/4 cup cocoa (or one additional 1 oz. square unsweetened chocolate, melted) and 1 additional tablespoon milk to Chocolate Buttercream Icing.

For Thin (Spreading) Consistency Icing: Add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.

mememalasia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mememalasia Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 18

i wasn't sure what the point of the meringue powder was, but seeing as how i have had such bad luck with chocolate buttercream i thought that for once i would actually follow the reciepe. i think i will try it without and maybe a hair less cocoa as it calls for a whole cup.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 18

I was a little stuck on a chocolate BC myself today.. thank you for the recipe icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 18

I use Indydebi's recipe then add 6 ounces of Baker's UNsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled..but still pourable. You will also have to add a little extra milk when adding chocolate but I only add a teaspoon at a time to make sure that I don't add too much liquid.

This icing is never gritty or grainy. I prefer using melted chocolate rather than cocoa powder. This icing is also very dark in color which I love and it crust and smooths just as well as her original recipe. thumbs_up.gif

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use Indydebi's recipe then add 6 ounces of Baker's UNsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled..but still pourable. You will also have to add a little extra milk when adding chocolate but I only add a teaspoon at a time to make sure that I don't add too much liquid.

This icing is never gritty or grainy. I prefer using melted chocolate rather than cocoa powder. This icing is also very dark in color which I love and it crust and smooths just as well as her original recipe. thumbs_up.gif

I found this a week too late! I made a chocolate cake last weekend and boy did I have a time with it. I added hershey's coco I sifted it with my PS. I didn't like the color not dark enough, so I melted some Ghirdella Chocolate, hmm still not dark enough, I added brown Wilton FC, hmm, still not dark enough. OHH I had a thought, let's add some BLACK! Well, now it looks like wet CEMENT! so I added more PS and some white BC. Still wasn't happy with the color, the hubby said it looked like dog poo!!
I gave it to my neighbor if she thought it looked funky she didn't say. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KakesbyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyK Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 18

I use my normal buttercream recipe and add probably a half cup of cocoa, then a squeeze of chocolate syrup! If it gets too thick, I add a little milk. Meringue powder isnt one of my ingredients either, never have found the purpose!

mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakesbyK

I use my normal buttercream recipe and add probably a half cup of cocoa, then a squeeze of chocolate syrup! If it gets too thick, I add a little milk. Meringue powder isnt one of my ingredients either, never have found the purpose!

Agree with you on the 'meringue powder'. Never use it...it leaves a funky aftertaste.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 18

Okay, here is my question- I am using sams buttercream. can I flavor it chocolate by putting in melted chips or hershy's coco??

PLEASE?? ROFLMAO!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 18

I use the Wilton recipe, too, and I like it. I used powdered cocoa but I mix it with vegetable oil first (I think it's 1 TBS cocoa + 3 TBS vege oil = 1 square of unsweetened cocoa). It's just cheaper and easier for me to do that, and it mixes MUCH better than if you just add the powdered cocoa to the other ingredients.

I also add the cocoa after I've blended the shortening, butter and liquids, and before I add the powdered sugar. I find it takes more milk to get it to a nice spreadable consistency.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:38am
post #15 of 18

I use something similar to Ruth0209's recipe

I use the Wilton butter cream recipe, I make the butter cream, then I mix 3 tblsps cocoa powder with 1 tblsp of vegetable oilin a small coffee cup. After I've mixed my butter cream, I add the cocoa mixture. The flavor is very chocolaty. I've been using this for years. When you add chocolate to anything, it tends to dry it out. Simply add Kero Corn Syrup to the butter cream a little at a time to get the right spreading consistency.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #16 of 18

Has anyone added chocolate successfully to SugarShack's recipe? I need to make chocolate buttercream tomorrow.

Also, when you use chocolate bc, do you do your crumbcoat in chocolate bc, or do you use vanilla bc for the crumb coat?

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Has anyone added chocolate successfully to SugarShack's recipe? I need to make chocolate buttercream tomorrow.

Also, when you use chocolate bc, do you do your crumbcoat in chocolate bc, or do you use vanilla bc for the crumb coat?

If I crumbcoat I use the same icing that I am going to use to ice my cake.
I don't have to crumbcoat if I use an icing tip.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:22am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I use the Wilton recipe, too, and I like it. I used powdered cocoa but I mix it with vegetable oil first (I think it's 1 TBS cocoa + 3 TBS vege oil = 1 square of unsweetened cocoa). It's just cheaper and easier for me to do that, and it mixes MUCH better than if you just add the powdered cocoa to the other ingredients.

I also add the cocoa after I've blended the shortening, butter and liquids, and before I add the powdered sugar. I find it takes more milk to get it to a nice spreadable consistency.

Sorry! Just looked at the bag. It's 3 TBS cocoa and 1 TBS oil. I knew that didn't sound right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%