Need Help Please... Topsy Turvy

Decorating By gbeaver Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 6:16am by 4realLaLa

gbeaver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbeaver Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 13

Where can I find a page or site that will help me learn to make a topsy-turvy style with 3 or 4 tiers, this will be my first decorating of a cake and I am hoping to achieve this style, but not sure how to go about doing it! Thank you in advance for any help.

12 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 13

This is the tutorial I used for the one and only topsy-turvy cake I made, right here on our beloved Cake Central! HTH.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 13

This tutorial is excellent:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

BUT, I'm going to say what others who've viewed this thread must be thinking................

If this is really your FIRST cake, this is the WRONG type of cake to start with. Seasoned pros find this style of cakes to be disaster prone--they have a mind of their own.

It's hard enough to bake, prepare, ice, and decorate WELL a 9x13x2 sheet cake as a first effort, let alone a 3 or 4 tier monstrosity that has no intention of defying gravity.............

It's so much more gratifying to achieve success than to fight against failure and wind up with little or nothing to show for the effort.

Obviously, it's up to you and I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.
Rae

KakesbyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyK Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #4 of 13

I do agree with Blakescakes. I would never tell someone NOT to try something, but being your first cake and all, I think you might be in a little over your head. Start small, get bigger as you progress in technique!! Good Luck in whatever way you choose to go!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:52am
post #5 of 13

If you're still set on doing it, here's an excellent video tutorial:

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 13

Just a couple suggestions:
1. Make a practice run before the real deal. Even if it's only two tiers and all you do is smooth ice, or cover with fondant, and stack, it will give you a chance to learns the ropes without the stress of having a deadline.
2. Use a sturdy cake that can hold weight and doesn't shift or crumble; I use pound cake for the Topsy Turvy I did last month and the one currently in process.

HTH. Good Luck!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 13

My first thoughts were..this is your first cake and you want to do WHAT!?!? I don't want to discourage you...BUT you really need to practice, practice and PRACTICE before undertaking this style of cake. Current TV shows have a tendency to make this style look wayyyy easier to create than it is.

That being said... make it a priority to head over to www.sugarproductions.com She has a DVD on this very style of caking. I highly recommend it. If this is your first fondant cake or tiered cake, I highly recommend you purchase several of her videos. They will help you incredibly! How long before you plan or need this cake? Plan on plenty of practice....

May the Bakery Gods be with You!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 13
gbeaver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbeaver Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for your help, I am a "newbie" and this site has so much to see and do! I love this site! Thank you all for responding with all of your help so quickly. I really appreciate all of your help and advice. Everyone have a wonderful day and Happy Baking and Decorating!

Sincerely,
gbeaver

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #10 of 13

This is the best Topsy Turvy tutorial I have come across. IMHO

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/71115-demo-topsy-turvy-cake/

I think you will like it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:55am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Yep, that's the identical tutorial here on CC, originally posted by BKeith Ryder (for some reason, the beginning now looks like something from Tonedna, but it's the same one).

I saw him do it in person at an OH Day of Sharing several years ago. Boy, he makes it look so quick & easy! But the photos really help when your brain seizes up............

Rae

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Yep, that's the identical tutorial here on CC, originally posted by BKeith Ryder (for some reason, the beginning now looks like something from Tonedna, but it's the same one).

I saw him do it in person at an OH Day of Sharing several years ago. Boy, he makes it look so quick & easy! But the photos really help when your brain seizes up............

Rae

thumbs_up.gif And that happens to me a lot!!! thumbs_up.gif I need that visual aide!!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:16am
post #13 of 13

You're a bit ambitious. I'm wishing you the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%