Wisdom Teeth

Lounge By Rachie204 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm by TheCakerator

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 20

So I had my wisdom teeth out this past Friday and I'm just wondering how long before i am back to normal.

I have this horrible taste in my mouth and can only open it wide enough to slide a piece of bread into it....(all of which I am told is normal)

The pain is starting to ease up a bit.

Anyone else had this done?....How long before you were back to normal?
Today is day 5 and I'm soooo ready!

19 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 20

Give it another 5 days or so. It's been 25 years since I had mine taken out but I remember it like it was last week icon_lol.gif You described exactly the way I felt after about 5 days of having them removed. I remember thinking I would never be able to eat normally again. icon_lol.gif

Just a few more days and you'll be much better. thumbs_up.gif Good to see you back on cc..I've been missing you.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 20

Had mine out about 20 years ago and agree with mamawrobin on the timing.....hope you feel better soon!

athenarose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenarose Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 20

Ouch! I'm about to have mine (all 3 of them) removed August 13th. I don't look forward to it. Not only that but I live in Kodiak, AK and I have to fly to Anchorage to have them removed. So I got a 3 day event with the whole family and just bought tickets home from Anchorage to Kodiak. I was just wondering what I could eat, if your still in pain something tells me I didn't buy enough soup for the recovery! icon_smile.gif I hope you feel better soon!

JulieMN Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenarose

was just wondering what I could eat, if your still in pain something tells me I didn't buy enough soup for the recovery! icon_smile.gif I hope you feel better soon!

I found that cold and soft things worked well....ice cream, sherbet, jello, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.........

Rachie204 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 20

thanks everyone...glad to know I'm about half way through. I hate this but it was a necessity...I have been needing them out for around 7 years and one was in a really dangerous state(decaying)...They took all four and had to cut them in half to get them out.

thanks mamawrobin...between my teeth, VBS, Getting my kitchen set up for licensing and potty training our daughter I am staying busy icon_smile.gif

Athenarose~ my first two days were not as painful but I could only eat soup or girts...days 3-5 I can eat but it's difficult. Not really pain in the tooth area, more the jaw/throat location which I wasn't expecting. Good luck...hopefully you will have a quick recovery. (it is a good excuse to eat junk food...icecream, pudding..I have been having fun with that)

JulieMN Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 20

[quote="Rachie204"]thanks mamawrobin...between my teeth, VBS, Getting my kitchen set up for licensing and potty training our daughter I am staying busy icon_smile.gif [quote]

That is one busy schedule....but things like this never wait until you have time! Glad that you got them all taken care of at once....I did the same thing, thinking that if I only did one or two....I may never get around to doing the others (especially if I had had a particularly bad experience, which I did not).

powerov5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
powerov5 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #8 of 20

Great topic! I am getting 3 wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow icon_cry.gif and don't know what to expect. Hmmm... darn, looks like I will be eating ice cream for awhile!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #9 of 20

well poo! I have to go have a consult to see if I need mine removed to (2 dentists have already recommended it, and I'm at the point where I have to go talk to the oral surgeon). I'm dreading it!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #10 of 20

I had all 4 out when I was 18...which is now about 23 years...It only lasts a few days and then you will feel better.You may look like a chipmunk for awhile but that's okay...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #11 of 20

I had mine out when I was 16. I don't remember a lot of it, but I know it started hurting kind of bad and tasting odd almost a week after it was done and I had to go back and have some food cleaned out of one of the incisions. It had worked its way inside the stitches and gotten stuck. I think it was an egg taco icon_biggrin.gif one of the things that was okay to eat according to the list the surgeon gave us, but still got stuck.

Rachie204 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #12 of 20

Well I will document my experience so that y'all can all know what to expect...lol icon_smile.gif

Day 1~ Expect to be very nervous, if I had to do it again I would ask for a Valum to take the morning of surgery. Once the IV was in and drugs were administered I was out and don't remember anything else until they woke me up to get in the car. I was given 600mg ibuprofen and 5mg hydrocodone, supposed to alternate every 3 hours. The hydrocodone made me nauseous. This day I felt very little to no pain....just annoying sensations like numbness all the way up to my ears and the dreaded task of keeping gauze in my mouth. Was told to sleep propped up.

Day 2~ By far the most comfortable day. Bleeding mostly stopped, only had to use gauze when sleeping...didn't really need pain meds, felt pretty good honestly.

Day 3~ this is where it got painful, not so much the tooth area, mostly the jaw and throat area. I took the pain pills but they just made me feel horrible.

Day 4~ the worst pain day, really needed pain pills and would have taken them if I had no responsibilities, however I do and couldn't function on them so chose to be in pain instead. This day I also lost some stitches....they told me they would "dissolve" however they seem to just break off and come out when you are eating.

Day 5~ Yes a whole day without pain pills, just had to take the Ibuprofen every 4 hours....(note: don't know if this is safe but it is working for me...LOL) I felt much better today vs. yesterday. The pain is slightly aggravating but nothing severe. Also lost more stitches today.

Hope this doesn't scare y'all...lol. Basically days 3 and 4 were really hard but only because I couldn't take the Hydracodone like I needed to be able to....I feel like if I had a pain pill that was easier for me to take or if I could lay in bed all day with the one I had I could have handled these days better. I should have called and asked for something different but I didn't.

I am hopeful for a good night and an even better day tomorrow...maybe I will be able to open my mouth a little wider. I will keep you "soon to be patients" posted.

Oh BTW~ I am still sleeping propped up and I haven't had ANY swelling (that you can see when you look at me anyways)....maybe that is why. I have seen some people get REALLY puffy.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:28am
post #13 of 20

I had all four of mine taken out last year. I only had to take the painkillers for half a day. Was eating normal foods again the next day. Guess it's different for everyone.

A salt water gargle will help get rid of the bad taste, but don't do it too much as it dries out the wound and will make it heal slower, well that's what my dentist told me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

Hope this doesn't scare y'all...lol. Basically days 3 and 4 were really hard but only because I couldn't take the Hydracodone like I needed to be able to....I feel like if I had a pain pill that was easier for me to take or if I could lay in bed all day with the one I had I could have handled these days better. I should have called and asked for something different but I didn't.

You can break the pain pills in half to get some pain relief without getting loopy.

Aleve works the best of the OTC pain pills, better even than ibuprofen.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #15 of 20

My son had his out in February, and he definitely had a much better experience than many. He had them out on a Thursday, which happened to be the day family friends flew in from New York. He INSISTED on going to dinner with them, even though he couldn't eat anything except soup and mac and cheese (Soup Plantation). By Saturday, he was eating pretty much anything that wasn't crunchy or hard. He never took a single prescription pain pill, but he did take Motrin a couple of times. When he had the one week check, the oral surgeon told him to open his mouth and then was shocked that he could open all the way.

I had two out at different times. One was really easy, no pain at all. The other one (a couple of weeks later, not planned, due to broken tooth) was a lot worse. The dentist wouldn't let me leave the office without taking a pain pill, so he knew it was bad. Even with that one, though, I was pretty much fine painwise by the next day. Because I only had one removed each time, I had no trouble opening my mouth.

It's amazing how different people's experiences are.

flourgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgirlz Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 20

I had all 4 out several years ago. For me, it went much better than my friends who had them taken out! Not much swelling or discomfort after, I didn't even fill the prescription for the pain meds. The horrible part for me was the office staff!

I had gone to the dentist, because I knew one of them was infected, expecting to get an antibiotic like I had in the past. Nope. She said it was too infected and sent me to the oral surgeon right then. I met the doctor about 2 minutes before the procedure. Everything seemed to be going ok until I wake up from the sedation with the nurse shaking me and telling me to wake up! Then she expected me to immediately get up and walk to another room. I couldn't even feel my legs let alone try to move them! She is yelling at me to walk, and I attempt to tell her I'm trying when I realize I have a mouth full of gauze. I couldn't really talk because I couldn't feel my mouth either!

We go into another room where she sits me down on a folding chair, they haven't given me my contacts back yet, so I can't see anything! Then I start to vomit all over myself, and the 2 nurses sitting about 5 feet from me decide to finish their conversation before they come to see if I am ok. I really wish I had called the office back to complain, I have since learned to stand up for myself more!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #17 of 20

Last year I had mine out. I was out of work Thursday and Friday, back on Monday. I wish I could say I went to work and was fine, but I was told to take the pain meds (I tried to take myself off them early and the jaw pain was horrible). I had a meeting that Tuesday and I had to sit on my hands, because the meds had me flying high. I nearly jumped up, waved my hands around and yelled, "WHEEE!" but I was still in control of my mental faculties. icon_wink.gif

But by the end of the 7th day, I was feeling more normal, off the narcotics (OTC painkillers, though) and much better.

I also didn't have any swelling after the second day.

Good luck!!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #18 of 20

I was fortunate. I had two wisdom teeth removed about 6 years ago. Believe it or not, I did it voluntarily instead of being forced to (though my dentist did encourage me to do it). However, I had cut these teeth, so it was more like just have teeth pulled as opposed to having them cut out of the gums. I never even took one of the pain pills, though it did take several days before I could eat and chew.

mousehill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mousehill Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:29pm
post #19 of 20

i had all of mine taken out at the end of may. i didn't have any bad experience at the office, they were really nice. i took the meds like i was supposed and didn't have any pain. i had bad bruising though and my cheeks were super puffy. i was able to eat anything that was soft like pasta's and beans, even french fries. i started eating crunchy stuff just very carefully about a week after. i didn't have a horrible taste in my mouth, but i salt rinsed twice a day as told by the surgeon.

i took the friday off work to get them out and expected to be back at work monday. while getting ready for work on the monday i was so tired from getting ready, but i went to work anyways. i got sent home cause i looked and felt horrible. same with tuesday, so i stayed home wed. and felt better by the afternoon. i did not expect for my body to react the way it did. it seems everyone has a different experience though, and it's not as scary as everyone makes it out to be. i was so nervous going in, but after i was like, why did everyone worry me so much. now that i am all healed, i am so happy i got them out.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #20 of 20

well I have cut three of my four wisdom teeth and had one pulled out a few years back. I am such a big baby of needles that in the past, when I have had cavities filled, I don't get numbed. I just "take it like a man" icon_lol.gif but this time that would not be the case, and I was more nervous about getting the shot to numb me up then the actual procedure. They gave me Valium to take the night before and the morning of, which I did. My dh said I was as loopy as they come but he drove me to work anyways. Work turned around an hour later and called for my mom to come pick me up as I was a danger not only to myself but to others icon_lol.gif When I got home that day, I had a message on the phone from the dentist office, saying that my appt had been cancelled until the next day so I slept the day away and when my dh got home he told me no more Valium that night and only a half a pill the next morning icon_biggrin.gif

I went to the dentist office with my mom because I knew I would not be able to drive after the surgery. My tooth came out with no problem and I only felt pain the first day, when I got home and fell asleep and forgot to take my pain meds on time. Within a day or two I was completely fine eating what I wanted. I did have to go back a week later to have the stitches taken out, they were not the dissolvable kind. Looking back now, I wish I would have had them all taken out because it did go very easy for me but now I don't have dental insurance and we can't afford it out of pocket.

I will still say that the worst part was getting the needle to numb me up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%