They Just Keep Getting Better And Better.

Business By QueenOfSweets Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm by flourgirlz

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 37

I got an email today from a bride inquiring about a wedding cake for April 2011. She indicated that she is planning to invite 300+ people to the wedding. She went on and on about all the things she's planning for the wedding, and in the last sentence she stated her budget for the cake was...

WAIT FOR IT...

WAIT FOR IT...

Between $50 and $100. icon_eek.gif You've got to be kidding me.

36 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 37

since I'm feeling nice, I'll just assume she is completely clueless on what a cake costs. Maybe she did some "wal-mart-sheet-cake-math" in her head. You know, one sheet cake feeds 15 people and costs $10 so I can get enough for 300 for $200-- ok, even that math doesn't work. she's gotta be just loopy.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 37

icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif You have got to be kidding. icon_rolleyes.gif Seriously????

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 37

wow...unbelievable! icon_eek.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 37

whaaaaaaat????? Maybe you should tell her she could buy the frozen Sarah Lee cakes and put them together but that wouldn't even be within her "budget". Or she could wait until Vons or her local grocery store has a full sheet cake for $20 special, oh....no that won't work either. What did you say when she said that price range?

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 37

Maybe she left off the zeros? $500 and $1000?

Maybe...Maybe??? No?

Aww okay....

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 37

HaHaHaHaHaHa! I needed a good laugh today! Thank you for sharing that~

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 37

What a wack job! Maybe she lives in an alternate universe where items are still the same price as in 1940. icon_lol.gif

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 37

what did you tell her?

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 37

Dear bride,

Thanks so much for your interest. While normally a wedding cake for 300 guests starts at around $1200 we do have a few non traditional options available in your price range.

We would normally suggest Twinkies but those actually cost .50 each and would put you significantly over budget so here are a few items that fit your budget:

1. 4 Jelly Bellies per guest. We are proud to offer over 50 flavors of Jelly Bellies and you can select up to 10 flavors for no additional charges! We will include small paper plates and a photocopied Jelly Belly Flavor menu for each table. M&M's and Skittles are also available

2. If you have 30 tables of 10 guests each, we could create 10 filled jumbo cupcakes (the 3 inch kind) and your guests could slice each cupcake into 10 bites. A regular size cupcake for you to cut is included at no charge.

3. A life size picture of a cake. While this wouldn't actually feed anyone we could have Kinkos print out a life size picture of a beautiful cake for $50 and for an extra $50 you could hire a hypnotist for 30 minutes to make everyone believe that they not only already ate cake but that it was delicious.

Please let me know if any of these options sound good to you!

Thanks again!

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 37

LOL, too funny, If that's the cake budget, I would hate to see what the rest of the wedding is like!!!

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 37

SURELY, it was a typo and she left off a zero. Or two???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 37

Oh PLEASE give her a kick in the southern hemisphere of reality and send her an estimate! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

This chic NEEDS to see what cakes cost.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 37

I am still laughing at PieceofCakeAZ's post. Just too darn funny. But heck bride will have several options.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #15 of 37

I am dying to know what you told her. She seriously needs to consider inviting fewer people.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #16 of 37

Haha you all are hilarious!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #17 of 37

Maybe she meant "per person". haha. You should write back and say "Oh that's wonderful! $50/person will get you a really gorgeous centerpiece for your wedding. What ideas are you thinking of?"

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #18 of 37

At the risk of sounding like an idiot... is there any chance they don't plan on feeding people the cake but just using a small one as a centerpiece a VERY small one mind you icon_wink.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #19 of 37

Cake muggles strike again. Seriously what did you tell her?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #20 of 37

Here's a few options... Oh wait, it will cost more than $50! icon_lol.gif
LL
LL
LL

MzPinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzPinkie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:41am
post #21 of 37

OMG PieceofCakeAZ..I am dying!!!! That is too damn funny!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #22 of 37

Seriously, we are always saying brides should research and find out what cakes cost. But this *IS* what she's doing.

If I rec'd this email, I would seriously send her this link from The Knot which addresses (ironically) the cost of a cake to serve 300. The article says she should expect pricing between $1.50 to $12.00 serving:
http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-cakes/qa/how-much-do-wedding-cakes-cost.aspx

I would even do the math for her (because as I've written NUMEROUS times, people just go math-dumb when planning weddings!). "So your estimate of 300 servings could run you anywhere from $450 to $3600, depending on bakery, location, flavor, and design."

While we are all enjoying the humor in this, take this opportunity to be helpful to her and educate her.

P.S. I would also address the part of the article that says "People always leave half hte cake uneaten on the plate anyway" by telling her "By the way, that never happens with MY cakes!" icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #23 of 37

Good point...I've had several customers tell me, sheepishly, "I've never ordered a cake like this before" and you really do have to walk them through the pricing, and the choices they have, etc.

Really, I guess, most people (well, ideally...) only order a wedding cake once....and even if not, its not a regular yearly thing like the bakery birthday cakes.

Even though its pretty crazy that someone would think they could feed 300 people on a $100 cake!!!!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I so tried to talk my OH into a version of the 2nd one for our wedding cake! Only I wanted to have a "real" cake underneath and the Twinkie products on the outside - y'know, to mess with the families and all. Plus, well, we're both really very odd people and it would just fit. icon_lol.gif
He nixed the idea, though. He wanted some fancy thing with scrollwork and fleur-de-lis and stuff until I told him he could buy said cake cuz I wasn't gonna make it AND get ready for a wedding at the same time.
For now we've compromised on a traditional tiered cake with an unusual design of some sort. He wants fondant bacon involved. I think I'm okay with this.

Now we just have to actually set a date and all that junk... icon_lol.gif

MzPinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzPinkie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:04am
post #25 of 37

I do agree that brides need to research. When I got married last year, I scoured every website of local cake places, bought every mag I could and I was up late at night looking over the knot, martha stewart weddings and real simple weddings. So, I had a good idea what to budget for and I made sure I was prepared when I went into my first consultation.
Even though I have been making cakes for a while, I was pretty dense when it came to pricing, because I never started selling until this year.
I learned my lesson REAL quick when I first started. Plus, I went to a couple bridal shows here in Columbus, and I was told first hand w/o asking what the prices were, so that was pretty nice.

I think this girl just needs to do a tad bit more studying on her end...

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #26 of 37

I'm surprised at all these posts. Everybody here has been working for years on this and knows how much they are, but most people have no idea. I have had a couple of them (one of them a guy who came to pick up a $ 1,200 cake and said "How much is this? $ 20?), and actually handed me a 20 dollar bill! The only thing to do is educate them. As Debbi said - The Knot's article is a good start, but a nice little description of what is involved and how much your cakes cost would be enough. Most people realize their mistake and start thinking in the right price range in no time!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #27 of 37

I LOVE that Hostess Wedding Cake, especially the Devil Dogs--with the gritty cream filling and plasticine chocolate!

And in the third picture--notice the pillars tilting under the weight of the cardboard circles loaded with Twinkies, etc.!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

Dear bride,

Thanks so much for your interest. While normally a wedding cake for 300 guests starts at around $1200 we do have a few non traditional options available in your price range.

We would normally suggest Twinkies but those actually cost .50 each and would put you significantly over budget so here are a few items that fit your budget:

1. 4 Jelly Bellies per guest. We are proud to offer over 50 flavors of Jelly Bellies and you can select up to 10 flavors for no additional charges! We will include small paper plates and a photocopied Jelly Belly Flavor menu for each table. M&M's and Skittles are also available

2. If you have 30 tables of 10 guests each, we could create 10 filled jumbo cupcakes (the 3 inch kind) and your guests could slice each cupcake into 10 bites. A regular size cupcake for you to cut is included at no charge.

3. A life size picture of a cake. While this wouldn't actually feed anyone we could have Kinkos print out a life size picture of a beautiful cake for $50 and for an extra $50 you could hire a hypnotist for 30 minutes to make everyone believe that they not only already ate cake but that it was delicious.

Please let me know if any of these options sound good to you!

Thanks again!

thumbs_up.gif LMAO! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #29 of 37

I'm surprised at all these posts. Everybody here has been working for years on this and knows how much they are, but most people have no idea. I have had a couple of them (one of them a guy who came to pick up a $ 1,200 cake and said "How much is this? $ 20?), and actually handed me a 20 dollar bill! The only thing to do is educate them. As Debbi said - The Knot's article is a good start, but a nice little description of what is involved and how much your cakes cost would be enough. Most people realize their mistake and start thinking in the right price range in no time!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Pink Snowballs too?! Who can take my order? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%