Ideas For Artistic Cake!!!

Decorating By 4realLaLa Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm by 4realLaLa

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 5

Hello fellow Cakers,

My only son will be turning 17 this September, and I want to make him a cake. He is usually very low key and doesn't like when I make a fuss over his birthdays. This year is different, we are throwing a party and I need to come up with some ideas for a cake. He is an artist and wants to attend art school upon graduating. So I'm thinking some kind of artsy cake.

Guys please help me come up with an idea that will knock his socks off. I'm open to any ideas right now.

4 replies
eXtremecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eXtremecakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 5

I would go through some of his favorite drawings and use them for inspiration. For example is he really in to drawing skulls or mythical creatures etc. I am doing a cake a cake very similar but this has to incorporate 7 different personalities and interesst since it is for 7 very different people, so I am going to do On top a skull with a body that is a corset, with a snake rapped around this and angel wings attached in the back, this will be perched on top of a robot chicken (lol its from a video game) which will be set on top of a suit case that has a sticker that says "cali bound" from which a film strip and various articles of clothing, text books and high heels will spill forth. Just consider who he is and then let your imagination go wild!!!! Go for a 3D cake ifyou really want to knowck his socks off. Incorporate tubes of paint, scetch pads, pencils, (tools of he trade) things like that. I have a few pictures that might help under eXtremecakes. Good luck, I will be posting pics of my cake on AUG 2.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 5

anytime I thin "guy" and "artsy" I think of those chocolate mosaic cakes
http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0003/0031459/large_image.jpg

or even something like this
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=16830

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 5

How about something that displays his medium..here's an example

www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/images/coolest-artist-birthday-cake-6-21124946.jpg

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 5

@extremecakes I think that is a great idea. I will look through some of his sketch books. He is really into Manga. He also loves Asian culture. Thanks.

@KHalstead and multilayered Thanks guys for your ideas. I am open to all ideas and I have until September to decide so if you come up with anything else. I'm all ears or should I say all eyes, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%