Quick Dowel Question

Decorating By luv2bak4myboys Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm by CindiM

luv2bak4myboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bak4myboys Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a 4 tier wedding cake for this weekend. Typically, I use the basic pencil size wooden dowels, but I've only done as high as 3 tiers before. Should I use the same size dowels or go to a larger gauge dowel? Thanks a bundle!

4 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

I always use bubble tea straws. They're stronger and more stable than dowels, which displace cake and can lean.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 5

I use bubble tea straws on the indivdual tiers but can you put one all the way trough all 4 teirs? I have never seen a tea straw that big

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I always use bubble tea straws. They're stronger and more stable than dowels, which displace cake and can lean.

I agree. They're much easier to cut and I never have any problems getting them the same length, plus I've never liked the idea of sticking wood into my cakes. thumbs_up.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, I also use the bubble tea straws in my bottom tier and regular straws in the upper tiers.

Some of my cakes are moved out to the beach or to a tent after being set up in the foyer of the resort.
When I put the cake together, I hammer one sharpened 6 to 7 inch wooden dowel down in each of the top tiers. That way the 6 is connected to the 8, and the 8 is connected to the 10 and the 10 is connected to the bottom tier. It is much easier to take apart that way. I put the dowels in "off center" so I don't run into the others.

This is just one way of doing it that works really well for me! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%