Dry Ice

Decorating By maendings Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm by Doug

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever used any dry ice to put under a cake plateu to keep a cake cold. I have a small cheesecake wedding cake to do Aug. 7th, outside wedding by the lake. I told her she would have to cut it right away, but I wondered about putting a packet of dry ice under it?

Thanks,
Colleen

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 7

unless plateau is metal and the dry ice is in direct contact with the metal underside, wouldn't get much, if any, cooling effect. Rather, would get more of a freezing effect on bottom of cake and maybe the cold would disperse throughout.

further -- outside?!?! the wind will blow all the cool air away anyway.

hmmm.. would almost have to rig some type of clear refrigerated cake display case.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

unless plateau is metal and the dry ice is in direct contact with the metal underside, wouldn't get much, if any, cooling effect. Rather, would get more of a freezing effect on bottom of cake and maybe the cold would disperse throughout.

further -- outside?!?! the wind will blow all the cool air away anyway.

hmmm.. would almost have to rig some type of clear refrigerated cake display case.

Well, if you had something like a clear plexiglass tube under the cake, which was entirely filled with dry ice to start, that might work, if the plateau is metal. Then when the CO2 sublimates out, the gas wouldn't seep out around the bottom. you could vent it only at the top, which might help some.

STill that isn't going to last overly long outisde, I dont' think.

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 7

oh well, just a thought mulling through what's left of my mind!!!!!

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 7

of course I could not just let go of this and have been mulling over what might work.

I came up with this. (oh so not to scale!)

Top to bottom:

A plexiglass case -- sides and top glued together with small gap at top to let air out. Base is NOT attached.

base of case is either masonite pegboard (the stuff that holes in it so can be hung on wall and then stuff hung on it) or plexiglass with holes in it following the pattern of masonite pegboard

base of top case is cover of middle section as well.

middle section is any waterproof (either inherent or by result of painting/sealing) material you want so long as base is like base of top case and it can be sealed air tight. Cross bracing as needed to make it capable of support cake.

bottom section is any waterproof material you want so long as can be sealed airtight. Cross braces added as need for extra support

2 cross braces shown creating 3 chambers and therefor the need for 3 fans -- adjust # of fans to match # of chambers based on needed cross braces)

all 3 sections must fit together airtight so air enters via fans in bottom section and then exits at top of clear plexi case.

bottom section is the plenum --- the air pressurization and even distribution part.

middle section is filled to the brim with crushed dry ice or pellets of dry ice.

top holds the cake.

middle section could have air tight access doors added so that more dry ice could be added as needed.

height of bottom chamber could be as little as 4 to 6"

middle chamber -- as tall as you want --- could make it and bottom chamber equal the height of a regular table

top chamber -- as tall as you need for the cake to fit

width and length -- as big as square as needed to fit cake and leave enough of the wholes open for air to circulate. If cake is on a raised open bottom pedestal, the could be as little as 3" clearance all the way around.

note re fans: -- don't have to be high speed ones -- could be kind used in computers for cooling (and even cannibalized from old computers). Could add a rheostat/dimmer switch to adjust fan speed as needed.

base of display/top of middle could be covered with a very sheer fabric -- but it would have to be fairly easy for air to get through it.

could even put lights inside -- LEDs only as low temp and power.

concept is:

air drawn in at base and pressurized and goes up through dry ice chunks/pellets and the up through bottom of display case, finally exiting at the top.

how much cooling you'd get would depend upon temp that day.

considerations:
>would definitely keep in the shade at all times
>will probably have condensation issues at dry ice chamber and outside of display box if humidity is high.
>if sitting out for long time will most likely have to replenish dry ice.
>have to have power to run the fans (battery or AC)

of course -- this would be an expensive setup -- first for the actual thing and then for all the dry ice!

could be adapted to work off of cannibalized refrigerator cooling system.

----

this has been an interesting design challenge done just for the fun of it!
LL

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7

Cold air doesn't rise...it falls. Anything cold would have to be placed on top. And dry ice disappears in no time. Besides the fact it seems to have gotten ridiculously expensive. Why people want outdoor weddings in the hottest month of the year is beyond me. Is the cake going to be exposed to the elements (flies, birds...dust?). She's going to keep her guests out in the heat for the reception? Is there going to be additional food there? If there is an indoor shelter at all at this place, then that may be where the cake needs to be. Ask her if she wants to serve a melted cake? Because by the time the bride and groom get around to cutting the cake it's usually been a couple of hours. Yuck.

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Cold air doesn't rise...it falls. Anything cold would have to be placed on top.

Fans.

fan forced.

just like A/C in the house.

so yes, it would be forced to rise

---

no argument on rate at which dry ice dissipates -- tho' a good 15 to 20lbs would last a least an hour or two

and definitely no argument on co$t of dry ice -- i did say it would be expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%