Why Didnt Any Of You Warn Me About Mmf Cutouts !!??

Decorating By tesso Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 3:57am by calicopurr

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 20

SIX HOURS !!! I have been making fricken daisies and peace symbols for 6 hours. They wouldnt come out of the little cutters in ONE whole piece. I lost a petal off each one for the first hour.
Then I got smart and made them a little thicker. Then they wouldnt come out of the cutter. Finally I found that you can use a chop stick to slightly push them out and it makes the flower nice and curved and even adds the center piece.

I finally gave up making the peace signs out of fondant and ended up making flo icing signs instead.

Then I put all the little daisies from hell on the wires and lost half of them.. which i had prepared for...but still.. so many wasted and so much time envolved. icon_cry.gif

AGGGHHHH.. this is the first time I have ever made cut out fondant decos.. if I ever do these for a customer..(cake is for my niece) They better get out that check book and put out a second mortgage on the homestead too.. because it is going to cost them a bloody fortune.

thanks for letting me vent..

19 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #2 of 20

I believe I read it here on CC that some people use plastic wrap between the cutter and the fondant, and you'll never have a problem getting them out of the cutter... Brilliant!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:53am
post #3 of 20

Try these:
Add a little tylose to the fondant.
Let the fondant dry a bit before cutting out shapes.
Rub a bit of shortening on the cutter before using it.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #4 of 20

I let my fondant dry out for a while before cutting it. I dust it liberally with a 50/50 powdered sugar/cornstarch mix and I also dust my cutter liberally. Sometimes I still need a chopstick to poke the damn thing out.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 20

Did you try rubbing a little Crisco on the cutter? Or dusting the cutter with cornstarch? I've never used MMF.

Sorry to hear it was such a pain!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 20

I still prefer Wilton fondant for cutouts, especially for ones that won't be eaten like the ones on wires. Of course I've had bad luck with mmf all the way around.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:02am
post #7 of 20

speaks from personal experience that plastic wrap over the fondant works!

and gives a nice soft rounded edge too!

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #8 of 20

CWR41 & Doug thats awesome! I cannot wait to try the plastic wrapicon_smile.gif Thanks for sharing.

tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #9 of 20

I used wilton daisy cutters
tried crisco..grrr..we wont go there...
used a ton of powdered sugar....
did let it dry out for a few minutes..which helped some..

but will definately try the plastic wrap next time.. IF there is a next time.. icon_lol.gif

thanks for the input..and the vent.. now I get to paint them all !!!! YEAH !!! atleast that should be fun !!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #10 of 20

Tesso and others...next time send out an S.O.S. signal before you waste precious time.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #11 of 20

Plastic wrap icon_surprised.gif what a great idea. I'm trying that next time I use a cutout! Thanks for the tip!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:42am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

Plastic wrap icon_surprised.gif what a great idea. I'm trying that next time I use a cutout! Thanks for the tip!

ditto!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #13 of 20

Awwww...Tesso...((((HUGS)))) sounds like my first time using those daisy cutters (almost threw them down the garbage disposal! LOL! GRIND!)...the next time I wanted daisies I wanted some of them to stand up so I mixed in tylose and after rolling out the MMF/tylose mix I had to walk away to answer the phone and came back to find that the fondant had dried a bit and it was easier, not easy, to use the cutters. So I thought about what I did differently and have just kept on doing it each time!LOL! But I know how totally frustrating spending an afternoon like that can be. Time for wine?

Cat

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #14 of 20

I agree...time for wine!!!

tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

umm..lets skip the wine.. I have done enough "whining" today. icon_lol.gif but.. I have blender..tequila..margarita mix ..salt.. lime.. just need ice!! who's bringing it?

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #16 of 20

I have tons of ice...I'll be right over!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:13am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

umm..lets skip the wine.. I have done enough "whining" today. icon_lol.gif but.. I have blender..tequila..margarita mix ..salt.. lime.. just need ice!! who's bringing it?

live just 5 blocks from the ice factory.

how much do you need? icon_lol.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #18 of 20

Use gum paste for decor on wires. Much easier. It dries faster and stands up well to cutters. In fact, I can get gum paste really really thin and have no problem with dispensing from the cutters. Wilton's pre-made gum paste. If it's not going to be eaten this is the way to go.

tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Use gum paste for decor on wires. Much easier. It dries faster and stands up well to cutters. In fact, I can get gum paste really really thin and have no problem with dispensing from the cutters. Wilton's pre-made gum paste. If it's not going to be eaten this is the way to go.

smacking myself in the head. I didnt even think to use gumpaste. I had a bad experience once with it, and only use when fondant wont work.. ugghhhh.. THANK YOU. I will keep that in mind next time.

Doug.. about that ice. let's see.. it would depend on how big a cake/margarita party we want to throw...better just to steal the ice truck and start heading to KY.. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #20 of 20

This is a funny thread. Great laughs and learned about using plastic wrap. Thanks all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%