Where To Buy Foamcore?

Decorating By tanstaafl Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm by kger

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 10

I keep seeing people mention using foamcore instead of cardboard cake boards. Where do you purchase these? I tried looking at Michaels, but was unable to find it. Was I just looking in the wrong section?

9 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 10

I know you can get it at Hobby Lobby, so I would think that Michael's had it also. Look near the art department. If you can't find it, ask someone.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 10

Any frame shop or framing department in any craft store.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 10

our dollar store has them and Michaels has them in the aisle with project display boards, poster board etc...

tanstaafl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks! I'll look again this weekend.

jcasey51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcasey51 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 10

At my Michaels they are on the end of an aisle, between the art dept. and the kids crafts.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:48am
post #7 of 10

I'm assuming you're in the wrong section....they have it at the Michael's near me at the end of a measly little cake decorating supply aisle. Just ask one of the workers...I know the one near me isn't well know for knowledgeable or helpful staff so just start asking about "thick posterboard"! lol

tanstaafl Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 10

Found it! It wasn't in the aisle with the posterboard, it was in one of the stands in the middle of the main aisle, if that makes any sense.

But then there were two different thicknesses, 3/16th and 1/2 inch. Which do you use?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 10

I use two 3/16". That ends up giving you a 3/8" board, which is a common ribbon size for putting ribbon around the board.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 10

My Michael's has it in the framing section, but I get mine at Dollar Tree. Great big board for a buck. Can't beat it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%