Gumpaste Vs Fondant Discs To Put An Edible Image On?

Decorating By gourmetsharon Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 3:36am by Molly2

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make 1 1/4" mediallions either of gumpaste or fondant to put an edible image on to top cupcakes with. I want them to be able to stand up from the frosting and not lay flat on the cupcake.

I need whatever I use to dry by Thursday. I have read that maybe fondant won't be dry enough. I haven't had much experience with either.

My other thought is to make white chocolate or even royal icing rounds on parchment to peel off and attach the image.

As you can tell, I have the concept but lack knowledge.

Thanks for any suggestions!

5 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 6

Fondant will work just find if you add gumtex or tylose to it. I've made picture frames out of fondant and added an edible image to it, it worked out great. Make the disc a few days ahead and allow them to dry on both sides. I hope this helps.
Happy Baking!
Hammy

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 6

Fondant alone won't hold up well for what you need. I use gumpaste for something like this..but as mentioned before if using fondant make sure you use something such as Tylose with it.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:57am
post #4 of 6

Sorry, left out of my reply, I use Wilton fondant for making frames or anything like flowers that I need to try hard, once you mix that stuff with gumtex it works great, well, at least for me. I don't use gumpaste for anything. I use MMF for cakes, Wilton fondant for decorations.
Hammy

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 6

Thank you! I appreciate your replies!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 6

I make mediallions with images for cakes all the time I use a mixture of fondant and gum paste mixed with tylose it works great it harden pretty quick.

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%