What Do You Think Of Satin Ice Rolled Fondont?

Lounge By mom2my3girlz Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm by leah_s

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 13

I was thinking of ordering it but wanted to know your take on it. Does it taste ok? Is is easy to work with? I have always made my own fondont but dont like the mess.

12 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 13

This is the only brand I use. It's easy to work with, sometimes the colored ones are bit sticky compared to white but nothing you can't work with or use a bit of PS. It has a llight vanilla taste and they just put out a buttercream flavor, but I have not tasted it yet. Also it is affordable compared to some of the other brands. Hope this helps!

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 13

I also like it very much but from what I've seen on here picking a fondant that is good for "you" is a matter of taste (and trial) get a small size of a few brands to see which suits you.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 13

It does taste good and is good to cover a cake with but I had a hard time making flowers out of it (I have only used red). They dried rather quickly and were quite crumbly, I may have done something wrong to it though.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 13

For colors, SI can't be beat.

However, there are starting to be quite a few complaints on the regular white. Search these Forums for details.

To make flowers you need to add tylose or CMC.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 13

For me, it's an okay brand. I'm not a huge fan of the consistency. I do like their Dark Chocolate though.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 13

I recently used the black SI, but I had a hard time working with it. It seemed too soft when I wanted to pinch the ends for my bow loops & kept falling apart. I'm new to it, so I'm sure I was doing something wrong, so I'll keep trying to work with it. I liked the idea of just getting black fondant instead of trying to create it with regular fondant.

Hope it works for you!

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 13

Tina, straight fondant isn't really all that good for making bows. You'll need to mix it with some gumpaste or add tylose/CMC to the fondant.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 13

I've read that about the gumpast and was a bit confused. I've seen that you are supposed to do 50/50, right? I didn't do that with the black SI because I thought the white gumpaste would turn the black SI grey. Will this happen?

Soooo many things still to learn! icon_cool.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 13

I've stopped using it. Too many problems with it now.

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 13

I like it but I haven't gotten any new in a while. Is there a new formula?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 13

The SI rep has posted on here saying they had a problem with some of their equipment that affected a small number of batches. But there have been a lot of threads lately about the large number of people having problems with it. That company line doesn't work for me.

I can't afford (literally) to have to problems with it. I'm switching over to either Fonderiffic or Fondx. I have 2 huge wedding cakes and a number of smaller orders coming up.

leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 13

I've been using PettinIce lately and like it. I used it years ago and switched over to Satin. I also use Fondx and like that too. Fondarific is sooo $$$ it's not even on the list.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%