Gumpaste Questions

Decorating By elvisb Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 5:24am by tonedna

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:07am
post #1 of 5

I'm a newbie with using gumpaste. I want to make a plaque from gumpaste and attach it to the side of my round layer cake. How do I attach it? And how long should I let the plaque dry before it's hard enough to hang? Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:39am
post #2 of 5

Let it dry on a curved surface like your cake pan, unless you want it standing flat away from your cake. You can attach it with a bit of gumpaste dissolved in water(gum glue) or attach with royal icing or use melted chocolate or candy melts as glue to attach. overnight or comparable time should be sufficient, especially if you're using Wilton's which seems to dry super fast.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:46am
post #3 of 5

I dont let my plaques dry if they go on a round cake. I just attached them while they are still soft enough and pliable.
I use a bit of gum glue or water to attach. Just don't put too much or it will slide down.
Edna icon_smile.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #4 of 5

So now I'm wondering if you can glue a gumpaste plaque to buttercream and fondant both? Or does it just work with fondant?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 5:24am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

So now I'm wondering if you can glue a gumpaste plaque to buttercream and fondant both? Or does it just work with fondant?

You can do it on top of both.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%