Any Idea How These Peacock Feathers Were Made?

Decorating By mindywith3boys Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 1:14am by sarahthebear

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:58am
post #1 of 26

It may be piped, but it kind of looks like the piping is added to something else. Anybody got any suggestions?

TIA

~Mindy
LL

25 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:06am
post #2 of 26

it looks as if they are piped and then painted with luster dust. It was probably royal icing and then let harden to paint on the dust. JMO

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:23am
post #3 of 26

They looked piped (royal probably) and then overpainted with gold. The blues and reds were probably coloured icing

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:25am
post #4 of 26

Totally gorgeous. I love peacock feathers!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:47am
post #5 of 26

They look piped to me too
Edna icon_wink.gif

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:09am
post #6 of 26

I think it's brush embroidery, I've seen this done somewhre and can't remember where!!

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 26

CakesbySam actually has a feather mold.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 26

I had to do a peacock feather on a purse. I wasnt sure how to go about it at first, but I ended up piping it with buttercream then I painted over it all by hand. Kind of did a little brush embroidery on the center. There is a photo in my pics. Its the teal colored purse.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 26

I don't think its royal though? It looks like a buttercream iced cake! Gorgeous too!!!!

Sometimes I wonder if there is a way to make a gold that bright that you pipe. Can it be done with piping gel?

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 26
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 26

This cake is so beautiful, it is my dream to make a cake with peacock feathers on it as realistic as these feathers. I still have a long way to go...
To me it looks like the main part of the feathers where hand cut from either gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Then impressed either by hand or with the bottom part of an appropriate size screw. then painted to desired color and placed on a beutifully buttercream covered cake, and the rest is free hand piping which where painted too, and also a few brush strokes directly on the cake with the paint. HTH

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:10pm
post #12 of 26

ABSOLUTELY NOT FAIR!!!
Posting these molds, we're going on holiday and I cannot do both

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 26

It is also my dream to do some peacock feathers. I imagine for me to reach this level of perfection it will take many, many, many failed trys...lol. I have great admiration for the caker who created that beautiful cake. Please show us your finished product and give us any tips on lessons learned during the process. I am with you in spirit as you go forward!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #14 of 26

ok...so I zoomed in pretty far on this cake. and it does look as if something is raising the piping up for the center of the feather...meaning that the ends of the feather look as if those were piped. the middle of the feather looks more like a texture which could make this cake quite simpler to do. icon_smile.gif

I really don't know how they did the shiney colors though. I know that If I had to pain luster dust over these textures that I would have it onto the cake itself :p whoever painted it has these skills I do not poses icon_sad.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 26

There's gotta be a way to make gold piping gel with highlighter dust....anyone ever tried it????

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 26

The cake is beautiful - do you know who made it? Often you can contact the decorator (even if they work for a bakery) and they will share their techniques with you.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

There's gotta be a way to make gold piping gel with highlighter dust....anyone ever tried it????

I've made gold royal that I piped directly onto cookies before......but I just dyed the royal using gold americolor gel colors until it was as dark as I wanted and then added the pearl airbrush coloring to it. I only made about 1/4 cup of the royal (just playing around) but it did look JUST like the gold on that cake. I didn't use any gold luster dust, just the royal with the addition of the pearl airbrush coloring (that gave it the shimmer), I used about a tsp. of the airbrush color. I wish I'd taking a pic.....I was just messing around though

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #18 of 26

Yeah cuz I don't think that lady could have painted all that..I mean she COULD have..but....it looks way too perfect...and some of the feather things look piped with gold.

KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 26

especially the little tiny scrolls around the top edges of the cakes, if you zoom way in it looks like it was piped already colored gold. Sometimes just coloring your icing and giving the whole thing a good spray with the pearl airbrush color can get you pretty close!

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 26

just this past weekend I had to travel from AZ to Cheyenne, WY to make my cousins wedding cake. She wanted peacock feathers too. I decided to paint on the cake with airbrush color and I used some luster dusts too.

These feathers are a bit more whimsical, but I just wanted to let you know another option for getting peacock feathers on a cake. I had also looked at that photo and thought it was beautiful, but my cousin just wanted them up the front of the cake- I would have liked to add more. =0)

Good Luck!
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I use it all the time. It works, but it wont dry hard and wont be as shiny as when painted, but it looks gorgeous.
Edna icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #23 of 26

Good detective work, 7yyrt! My jaw hit the table when I perused her gallery. Holy cow. Mad skills. And whoever uses her is mega rich. icon_lol.gif I can't even imagine what those gorgeous cakes cost when they start at $8 per serving!!

KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #24 of 26

brea your feathers look amazing!!!!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #25 of 26

A person at our cake show did a cake similar to this. She cut out the shapes out of gumpaste (or fondant) and then piped with a small tip (like 1 or 0) all the lines in royal icing to make the feather texture and I think luster dusted over the top.

sarahthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahthebear Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #26 of 26

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm making a wedding cake with peacock feathers for my friends this Labor Day, and I've been stumped about how to create the feathers. I love the cakes in both photos, especially brea's with the feathers airbrushed directly onto the cake.
The difference with mine is that it will be chocolate. Can I paint on chocolate ganache with airbrush color, or can you only do that with fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%