Baseball Cake Opinions On Price Please

Decorating By Prettyinpinkparties Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 1:17pm by KHalstead

Prettyinpinkparties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prettyinpinkparties Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 13

I made this baseball themed cake for a friend of mine. I've only made about 25 or so cakes in the past couple years and have been getting better at it. I made MMF for the first time with this cake, which took some time but I think it came out nice. It's a doulbe 10" on the bottom and a double 8" on the top with buttercream frosting. When I told my "friend" how much I think she was a little taken back. When she picked it up I told her I priced it around the same price my old baker use to (mine was cheaper) when she did cakes for my parties and I also check with the local grocery store just so I could compare it. She had to go on to tell me that a baker that is has done cakes in the past for her is really cheap and I should consider them for my parties in the future (I don't make cakes for my parties). This, I feel was her way of telling me she icon_smile.gif could have gotten it cheaper, oh well. So what would you charge for this size cake with all the fondant details I put on it? I charged her $40.

Also, want to give credit where credit is due. I got the inspiration for this cake from another member of cakecentral. I loved it so much I wanted to try it too!

Thanks
LL

12 replies
klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 13

very cute cake, very much underpriced, your friend got a really good deal if you only charged her $40. That's a steal, I'm sure everyone here will tell you that, no matter where you live. Check out where she usually gets her cakes from, I'm sure they would even charge more than $40.

You did a wonderful Job! don't under estimate your work!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 13

She would not have gotten a cake like that for $40. It looks great! I really wish people understood the time and work that it takes to make a cake.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 13

You did a great job! You way undercharged for it and I think your friend knew it but wanted to see if she could get it for less hense the story. Charge for what your worth.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 13

Your "friend" is full of crap icon_eek.gif Not even Walmart would give her that cake for $40.

I use the Wilton party servings chart and for me, that is a 48 serving cake. Many here use the smaller wedding servings and would price that cake at 62 servings.

My "price" would be $115---and that's CHEAP!

Don't undersell yourself. It allows others to take advantage of you. You'll have plenty of business, but it will be costing YOU money and they'll be laughing about it. icon_cool.gif

Rae

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 13

When my nephew turned 5 (over 30 years ago), his mother bought a fire engine cake for his party. It was adorable, but it was basically stacked rectangles covered in red buttercream with some buttercream and plastic details. She paid $35 for it, and we thought she was crazy for paying that much for a cake.
Your cake is adorable, but WAY under-priced.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 13

Your "friend" should have THANKED you for the great deal and the favor! She certainly should not have tried to make you feel like it was too much! People like that make me mad--I say don't make cakes for her anymore--she doesn't deserve it and obviously she doesn't appreciate it.

BTW you did a great job--it's a really cute cake! I think you could've gotten at LEAST $75-100

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 13

62 servings at my fondant price of $3 per serving... that's $186!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 13

I don't turn on my oven for 40$, that wouldn't cover my ingredients, let alone electrical bill or my time

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 13

Your friend needs to check sams/costco..for a plainly decorated one tier sheet cake where I live is about$35 so she definitely got a great deal on this cake! and i must agree with some of the other posts..she would not have gotten a cake like this from her local baker....

Prettyinpinkparties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prettyinpinkparties Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks Ladies! You have all made me feel much better icon_biggrin.gif !!

NaNaof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NaNaof5 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 13

So much for that friend. Great cake. Way underpriced.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 13

I would have charged $3.25/serving for the cake itself, the baseball on top would have been another $5.00 probably (made out of RKT).

I consider a 10" round to be 42 servings (that's how many I get when I cut it), and an 8" round to be 24 serv. soooooooooooooooo

I would have charged $214.50 for that cake!!!! I also agree that $40.00 probably JUST barely covered your expenses, you didn't make a dime on that cake!!

I charge $2.50/serv. for bc stacked cakes, plus $.50/serv. for fondant and $.25/serv. for fondant accents (your cake has both)
this is so you understand where my price is coming from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%