GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 103

I tryed Indydebi's buttercream icing, it turned out so good, I will use it from now on.. A friend of mine has a birthday coming up tomorrow,,and loves red velvet cake,, so cream cheese is a give'n, so i was thinking if dream whip is good in the buttercream why not in the cream cheese icing , so I put it in,, It turned out great I think it's the best cream cheese icing I have made in a long,, light creamy, just wanted to share,, thank's indydebi for great idea's.. thumbs_up.gif

102 replies
Btrfly578 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 103

I found her recipe last night and I can't wait to try it out. I keep hearing "GREAT" things about it.

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 103

Yep..I agree thumbs_up.gif I absolutely LOVE her recipe. It taste wonderful and it is so easy to work with and smooth. I've also made a cream cheese version and it smoothed beautifully as well.

sugarlicious Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 103

Her buttercream recipe is the only one I use and I get so many compliments on it, everyone loves it!

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrfly578

I found her recipe last night and I can't wait to try it out. I keep hearing "GREAT" things about it.




I bet you'll love it. Here are a couple of tips that make it even better.
BEAT your crisco at least 15 minutes BEFORE adding any other ingredients. It will look like sour cream once it's been "pulverized" icon_lol.gif SIFT your powdered sugar and warm your milk (I use half & half) before adding.

Once you've added all of the ingredients...walk away from your mixer and let it rip.....I usually let mine go for at least 20 minutes. It will make the most creamy..delicious icing you can imagine. thumbs_up.gif I always make a double batch when I make it because it keeps for two to three weeks at room temperature.

ALSO...don't refrigerate unless you have a perishable filling. This icing will crust in under 5 minutes but if you ice a frozen cake or a cold cake you're going to have "crusting" problems. Your cake should be at room temperature BEFORE you ice it.

Just wanted to try and help you avoid some of the problems you could get into w/o being aware of them. Let us know whatcha think after you've tried it.

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 103

If you like the cream cheese in it, you should try this one: Add some drops of orange oil to the cream cheese version. It makes the best "dreamsicle" icing you'll ever taste!

Had one mother who came to my tasting and had the dreamsicle icing. She then went to another bakery and specifically requested "orange" icing to sample. Came back to me to book because of the dreamsicle taste.

Try it. I guarantee you'll swoon.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 103

Mamawrobin, when you did your cream cheese icing did you do all butter, or half butter-half shorting. I did all butter this time, plan to try half an half next time.

honeyscakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 103

I tried her recipe as well! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!
first time it was grainy and crusted FAST!!! wayy too fast for me to smooth it...then Indydebi helped me with some questions I had and VIOLA!!!! Now I follow her and Mamawrobin's advice and we have a perfect icing!!!
THANKS TO THE TWO OF YOU EXPERT LADIES HERE!!! YOU ROCK! thumbs_up.gif
- h

Btrfly578 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 103

What could I do to the icing to not make it grainy and crust fast?

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziboutkakes

Mamawrobin, when you did your cream cheese icing did you do all butter, or half butter-half shorting. I did all butter this time, plan to try half an half next time.




Because of the humidity I used half and half...I am definitely going to add the orange extract like Indydebi suggested. I love the orange dreamsicle cake and that sounds just too good. thumbs_up.gif

kraziboutkakes..always love seeing your "location" because I actually DO live in "Small Town U.S.A." (Justin Moore's country video was shot here...he's my brother-in-laws nephew) If any of you have seen the video (the op knows this) the entire thing was filmed here in "Small Town U.S.A." where I live. thumbs_up.gif

cindy531 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 103

I've made this buttercream many times...its my fave. How do I turn it into cream cheese buttercream?

cas17 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 103

i only made indy's bc once and it turned out gritty. i will use the suggestions here and give it another try.

wow mamawrobin, i LOVE justin moore's music!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

i only made indy's bc once and it turned out gritty. i will use the suggestions here and give it another try.

wow mamawrobin, i LOVE justin moore's music!!!! icon_biggrin.gif




Me too. He and his band spent the weekend here a couple of weeks ago we had a big crawfish boil and swimming party at my sister's and brother in law's house. It's cool to know someone "famous" icon_lol.gif but since I've known him his entire life it's really NOT like knowing someone famous icon_lol.gif

cas17 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

i only made indy's bc once and it turned out gritty. i will use the suggestions here and give it another try.

wow mamawrobin, i LOVE justin moore's music!!!! icon_biggrin.gif



Me too. He and his band spent the weekend here a couple of weeks ago we had a big crawfish boil and swimming party at my sister's and brother in law's house. It's cool to know someone "famous" icon_lol.gif but since I've known him his entire life it's really NOT like knowing someone famous icon_lol.gif




that is too cool! i wish him all the best in his career thumbs_up.gif

kger Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 103

This may already be answered somewhere else, but do you use the paddle or the whisk attachment to mix?

zubia Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm
post #16 of 103

this is off topic ,but I can not resist.
honeyscakes ,I just read your signature ,how did you do that , come on you HAVE to share the weight loss secret thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kimbordeaux Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 103

Indydebi,
How do you store this? I see it has milk in it and I live in SC where its 100 all year. I use just a regular crisco/butter recipe buttercream at the moment w/out milk, I use water. Can I leave out in a container or does it need to be kept in fridge?

Thanks

lyndim Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:01pm
post #18 of 103

Im curious, how do you make it into "cream cheese" buttercream? Do you subsitute any of the ingredients? If you add cream cheese, how much? TIA!

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:48pm
post #19 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

Indydebi,
How do you store this? I see it has milk in it and I live in SC where its 100 all year. I use just a regular crisco/butter recipe buttercream at the moment w/out milk, I use water. Can I leave out in a container or does it need to be kept in fridge?

Thanks



I'll answer, I'm sure Indydebi will when she sees the question. At room temperature. This icing "behaves" much better if it's left out of the refrigerator. The sugar in the icing prevents the milk from going bad. I have kept it for as long as two weeks at room temperature and it was perfectly fine. Your recipe will be fine as well. I'm surprised that you're able to use any butter in your icing since your temperatures are 100 degrees. I'm unable to use butter in my icing 9 months out of the year. This recipe taste so good ya don't miss the butter.

I live in Arkansas and it's HOT (100 degrees) LITERALLY...and HUMID (98%-115%) And one reason I use her recipe exclusively is because it will hold up (even at outdoor events) in this heat and humidity. Honestly. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #20 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubia

this is off topic ,but I can not resist.
honeyscakes ,I just read your signature ,how did you do that , come on you HAVE to share the weight loss secret thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif




I know isn't that amazing. You should check our honeycakes blog and see just what a "beauty" she is. thumbs_up.gif She also has a photo of the wedding cake that she made a couple of weeks ago on her blog and it is almost as beautiful as she is. icon_wink.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #21 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziboutkakes

Mamawrobin, when you did your cream cheese icing did you do all butter, or half butter-half shorting. I did all butter this time, plan to try half an half next time.



Because of the humidity I used half and half...I am definitely going to add the orange extract like Indydebi suggested. I love the orange dreamsicle cake and that sounds just too good. thumbs_up.gif

kraziboutkakes..always love seeing your "location" because I actually DO live in "Small Town U.S.A." (Justin Moore's country video was shot here...he's my brother-in-laws nephew) If any of you have seen the video (the op knows this) the entire thing was filmed here in "Small Town U.S.A." where I live. thumbs_up.gif


Mamawrobin, what dreamsicle recipe do you use,,I want to make Indydebi dreamsicle icing and I was thinking about doing a fresh orange cake, but a dreamsicle cake sounds good to,,I just need a cake fix lol... icon_biggrin.gif

kimbordeaux Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #22 of 103

mamawrobin,
Thanks! I don't do many buttercream only cakes. Most of my cakes are iced with buttercream and covered with fondant. I'll have to try this recipe when I get a break. Funny, when buying supplies at Wal-mart today I saw Dream Whip and started thinking of things I could do with it. Something told me to buy it. (I've learned not to listen to the voices I hear though, lol) Thanks!

dreamcakesmom Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:44am
post #23 of 103

Hello all- I keep seeing Dream whip and have never heard of it. I typically make an all butter SMBC but always looking to try new things. Can someone describe what this product is, how cost effective it is, etc?

mamawrobin Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:22am
post #24 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziboutkakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraziboutkakes

Mamawrobin, when you did your cream cheese icing did you do all butter, or half butter-half shorting. I did all butter this time, plan to try half an half next time.



Because of the humidity I used half and half...I am definitely going to add the orange extract like Indydebi suggested. I love the orange dreamsicle cake and that sounds just too good. thumbs_up.gif

kraziboutkakes..always love seeing your "location" because I actually DO live in "Small Town U.S.A." (Justin Moore's country video was shot here...he's my brother-in-laws nephew) If any of you have seen the video (the op knows this) the entire thing was filmed here in "Small Town U.S.A." where I live. thumbs_up.gif

Mamawrobin, what dreamsicle recipe do you use,,I want to make Indydebi dreamsicle icing and I was thinking about doing a fresh orange cake, but a dreamsicle cake sounds good to,,I just need a cake fix lol... icon_biggrin.gif




I use macsmoms WASC dreamsicle variation. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 7:30am
post #25 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onceuponadreamcakes

Hello all- I keep seeing Dream whip and have never heard of it. I typically make an all butter SMBC but always looking to try new things. Can someone describe what this product is, how cost effective it is, etc?




Dream Whip is a powdered whipped topping. It has been around for several years (at least 35) and I believe it's made by Kraft. You can find it on the aisle with pudding and jello.

cindy531 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:36am
post #26 of 103

Maybe i missed it...but how do you turn the recipe from buttercream icing to cream cheese icing. Thanks!

cakecraft Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:05am
post #27 of 103

I'd like to know how to use cream cheese in this recipe also. This is my exclusive icing now, gets RAVE reviews everywhere. It even has me eating icing, which I never did before, lol!!!

The last time I did a regular cream cheese icing it was horrible to work with in comparison. I never thought of adapting indydebi's recipe. Duh! Looking forward to replies.

mamawrobin Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 9:15pm
post #28 of 103

I'm at work right now...shhh... icon_lol.gif When I get home and have a little more time to be on here...I'll post my crusting cream cheese icing (adapted from Indydebi's buttercream) Check back...I'll post this evening. thumbs_up.gif

homeslice Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #29 of 103

Not to hijack this thread, but mamawrobin- when you say you use half and half, do you mean half butter, half Crisco, or do you mean actual half-and-half instead of milk? Dumb question, I know, but I'm a newbie!

deMuralist Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:47pm
post #30 of 103

I am pretty sure she uses half and half instead of milk, she doesn't use butter because of how hot it is where she lives.

I am looking forward to the cream cheese recipe.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%