Too Hot!!!

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm by Sassy74

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 25

It has been around 27 degrees here (UK) this week and is going to top 30 tomorrow.
We are so not used to this heat. We have no air con, ceiling fans ahhhhhh thank goodness the last cake I did was on Thurs, fondant was very hard to work with and could not have coped with one this weekend.

Roll on the normal English summer of rain so I can happily make cakes lol

24 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 25

Yup, hot here too in California...I'm praying for a drop in temp this evening. We have our Cub Scout Bridging Ceremony tonight...OUTSIDE...so I'm hoping it will drop below 80 by then. Well, a girl can dream, right?

Fortunately I have A/C here in the house so the cake will be cold until then.

Cat

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 25

Yea, it's been staying near 100 here, thank goodness we have AC AND a pool!!!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 25

...90s and scorching sun here in beautiful Colorado!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 25

Here that is summer and we look forward to it after a long winter of -20 to -40 degree celcius weather. Most of us in Canada don't have AC either but I agree - baking when it is +30 out is more than I want to do. LOL

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 25

It's been about 85-90 here in Chi-town. I have a wedding cake due today at 5. I put the cake in the basement overnight and cranked the A/C up some. I had to sleep under a blanket, but it's fine as long as my cake didin't melt. I'm going to stick it in the fridge for about an hour before I leave, it should be ok with the A/C running in the car. I have about a 30 min drive.

JayyBugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayyBugg Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 25

i live in phoenix. 112s. lets just say my bf calls it satans butthole....

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 25

haha, love it Ambria...it is in the 90's here and I have a cake to deliver for a party outside and I am invited to so I know I will just keep watching the cake for the fondant accents to fall....should I put it in the fridge or no before I leave?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 25

It has been 103 here! Why is it so hot - so soon??? We usually don't get this heat until August!

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 25

I love Alaska summers! It's only about 53 right now, I think we might get up to 75 next week though icon_smile.gif We lived in Texas for a while and I hated it! Too hot for me!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 25

It's not even 75 in my house, and my air conditioner is on!!!! It just can't keep up with the heat!
'

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 25

It's in the mid 90's here and I have 2 buttercream cakes for an outside party. I stick them in refridge over night and pray they don't melt.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 25

I moved in january from Bakersfield Ca 110 degree summers to Stallion Springs Ca. way up in the mountains 90 degree summers, so far we havent had any days above 86 but in bakersfield they are already hitting 100. We had a super late winter, snow on May 24th so I was ready for some sunshine.

Although I hate baking and decorating in the heat.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 25

Global warming icon_cry.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

It's been about 85-90 here in Chi-town. I have a wedding cake due today at 5. I put the cake in the basement overnight and cranked the A/C up some. I had to sleep under a blanket, but it's fine as long as my cake didin't melt. I'm going to stick it in the fridge for about an hour before I leave, it should be ok with the A/C running in the car. I have about a 30 min drive.

Yeah, I do about 2 cakes a month for family and my husband laughs about how cold I keep the house when I'm working here. The kitchen I work out of lets me set the A/C to whatever I want as long as I reset it before I leave so the cold feels totally normal to me but it freezes him when I work at home! LOL!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:22am
post #16 of 25

Omgoodness, we had too very hot and humid days this week and of course I had a red velvet cake to dow/cream cheese icing. Unbelievable, my icing kept melting off of my cake ugggggrrrrrr. My ac is on the fritz and the fans did not help. Thank God, I made it through but it was too too hot!! Plus another good thing was the party was being held inside!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:33am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

Global warming icon_cry.gif

Also known as 'Summer'! icon_biggrin.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:27am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

It has been around 27 degrees here (UK) this week and is going to top 30 tomorrow.
We are so not used to this heat. We have no air con, ceiling fans ahhhhhh thank goodness the last cake I did was on Thurs, fondant was very hard to work with and could not have coped with one this weekend.

Roll on the normal English summer of rain so I can happily make cakes lol

lol ill swap you? normal spring is around 27 here... avg. temp last summer was around 40..., please can we swap?!?!?! hahahaha. i dont have air con either, only a very dodgy ceiling fan in one room, thats not the kitchen...

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:31am
post #19 of 25

Well I cranked up the A/c in the car and the cake was fine when I got to the hall. It was a little warm in the hall though. The staff pulled out a couple of large wind tunnel fans and that cooled the room off so the cake would not melt.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:31am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersusu

haha, love it Ambria...it is in the 90's here and I have a cake to deliver for a party outside and I am invited to so I know I will just keep watching the cake for the fondant accents to fall....should I put it in the fridge or no before I leave?

I wouldn't. A cake will do much better in that kind of heat if it starts out at room temperature. Taking it out of a cold refrigerator and placing it in the heat is a set up for disaster. Ask me how I know. icon_lol.gif

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:06pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

I love Alaska summers! It's only about 53 right now, I think we might get up to 75 next week though icon_smile.gif We lived in Texas for a while and I hated it! Too hot for me!

I will be there in 6 months!! OF course, then I will be saying, maaan!! it is so cold!! But I would much rather be cold than hot and sticky!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:28pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

I know right? My son moved to Alaska 10 years ago and I love visiting in the summer. The first time I went up there I went in the middle of July and I would be cold when I got up in the mornings icon_lol.gif I would love to be able to spend the entire summer up there because our summers are so extremely hot and humid.

Where in Alaska are you located? My son works for the University of Alaska in Fairbanks and lives on campus.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #23 of 25

it was 35 C (95 F) here on Tuesday, and I had 28 cakes to bake that day and no a/c!! I lucked out (sarcasm!) and it was only 31 C on Friday when I had to do a 3 tiered wedding cake w/ 2 kitchen cakes, a mini anniversary cake, 7 dozen pb cookies, and 2 sheet cakes!! lol

tara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara22 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 2:03pm
post #24 of 25

96 and HUMID!! Oh, and did I mention the oil that has all of my out of town beach brides freaking out!! Gonna be a long summer icon_cry.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #25 of 25

Upper 90's here in SE Louisiana, and about 200% humnidity lol . Yeah, it's making my fondant/gumpaste act foolish. Haven't had any issues with my BC yet. Knock on wood haha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%