59 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #2 of 60

No cake but I've started working on the flowers for our 4th of July cake

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 60

I get to work at home tonight because the only cake this weekend is one for our packs Cub Scout Bridging Ceremony tomorrow night and I'm doing the cake as a donation. I made the figures over a month ago so they are already painted. I need to make the fondant tonight...cake's already baked/wrapped and in the freezer for tomorrow. This week I began the tools I need for a toolbox cake in mid July and plumeria flowers for a wedding cake later that month as well. I'm a part timer so I keep it to one or two cakes a week.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Cat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 60

3 weddings Saturday, plus 1 on Sunday, plus two groom's cakes plus 1 party cake for me.

Two wedding cakes completed. Starting to deco one of the groom's cakes.

Were any of you around this afternoon when I was having the crusting bc trauma?

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 60

I started my daughters jessie from toy story cake topper. I am making Jessies hat. I also started the cow print for the cake made out of chocolate candy clay and I found a disney print that I am going to trace with royal icing. other then that I have nothing until the week after next.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 60

No cake this weekend.....I am trying to think of a name for a blog!

Cakes, cookies, quilting, knitting/crochet, machine embroidery... "still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up"

I'm drawing a blank- DH is no help!

Any catchy ideas welcome!

catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

3 weddings Saturday, plus 1 on Sunday, plus two groom's cakes plus 1 party cake for me.

Two wedding cakes completed. Starting to deco one of the groom's cakes.

Were any of you around this afternoon when I was having the crusting bc trauma?

Oh! I do hope it worked out. I always say that I hate buttercream and it obviously hates me back! LOL! My problem is that I'm too much of a perfectionist...I want my BC to look as smooth as my fondant and well, that ain't gonna happen! LOL!

Hope your drama didn't end up being a full blown trama!

Cat

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 60

This is my first Friday Night Cake Club!!!
I am doing my sisters 17th birthday cake...I still consider myself some what of a novice...I'm lucky to have alot of knowledge...I feel like I know what to do, but haven't had enough practice to execute it perfectly so I'm sooo excited. I'm taking all your guys great advice and making a two tier hawaiin themed cake. I colored the insides to look very tropical and it turned out so cool-isn't it cool how such an easy and simple trick can be so awesome?
Happy caking!!!

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #9 of 60

relaxing reviewing the CC site and getting so many good recipes I don't know where to start!!!! icon_cry.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #10 of 60

I am making fondant fireworks for the top of my 4th of July Uncle Sam hat. Trying to do curly-cue wire and not having much luck at it. Why does everyone else's look so smooth and mine look so...wonky? icon_cry.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #11 of 60

had to work on a funeral cake icon_sad.gif

Planned all month on this birthday cake, designed it, was going to be my first 3 tier. Made the fondant loops for the bow, did some stars with dust etc. It was a double birthday party with 60 people. My friend was one of the birthday people and she was hosting the party. The other bd person, well, he had cancer and thenhe died on Thursday night. icon_sad.gif He was only 60.

oh well, I didn't like how my bow turned out anyway. took my WASC ingredients and made a 1/2 sheet with raspberry cream cheese chambord filling. Put extra chambord in it for the mourners. It's in the fridge settling overnight. they don't start the memorial party til 430pm. Kind of depressing - reminds you how short life really is.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #12 of 60

I'm making a huge graduation cake! 18" x 24"

It weighs over 32 pounds! 9 lbs of that is frosting!

I thought it would be quick but I'm still up working in it as I take a break to eat..

leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #13 of 60

I'm in favor of wonky.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #14 of 60

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse 3 tiered cake for a 1 year old girl. Turned out ok, mom picked out the design which I'm not crazy about, doesn't seem girly enough to me. The good news is I really feel good about my fondant-covering skills with this cake, it turned out great! I usually do bc cakes & fondant covering was giving me problems but I think I have it down now, yay.

I was going to start on another 1 year old girl luau cake tonight but I'm too darn tired, it's not til sunday anyway so I'll work on it tomorrow. Having the darndest time though making the little girl, the face & hair are killing me! I made one that I don't like, looks too much like an older girl. It's gotta be just right since this is is one of our best friends' daughter's cake.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #15 of 60

I have a 2 tier cake due tomorrow the thing is iced in the fridge I just can't get myself motivated to decorate the darn thing arghh all decorations are made just need to put it together wish I could just snap my fingers.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #16 of 60

Leah, I was following your buttercream struggles. How did everything turn out?

Not much sleep last night, so I'll probably have to read your answer tomorrow (eyes keep shutting), but I'd love to hear how things turned out.

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #17 of 60

Working on a construction site cake. 11x15 2 layer...chocolate layer cracked wide open. Spackling crack and hoping to save it!! Reading up on CC for tips.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #18 of 60

Hi, Leah, I saw your meltdown and sent you a comment about how strange it seemed to see you freak out. What ever happened? Did things turn out all right? No cake projects for me this weekend, but I got some new drawers. I wish they were the lacy kind, but no, just the stackable plastic kind that come in threes. But I got six of them on sale, so I'm busy going through my colors, cutters, etc., etc., to see what I want to fill them with and how to label them. Also updating my portfolio. Just general housekeeping that has to be done every once in a while. The '63 Mustang cake I was working on last week didn't get finished until Monday. I spent about 20 hours sculpting and decorating it, and it turned out kind of cartoonish, but I thought it was a real triumph for a first car cake. I haven't posted it here yet, but I'll send along a pic as soon as I can shrink one down. My son-in-law liked it so much he hasn't wanted to cut it and now it's forming air pockets under the fondant. It may die a virgin!

leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #19 of 60

I scraped the cakes down, put all the Buttercream Dream in a bucket and made my tried and true NONcrusting bc. It's perfect. I'm using the Dream for filling, coloring it for decorating with, just not trying to put it on the outside of a cake. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #20 of 60

Leah, tell us a story, please! How did the Friday Night Cake Club start? I've been wondering about it so if you have the time tonight, I'd love for you to enlighten us!

I have no cakes tonight, thank goodness! I spent an hour and a half cleaning up from yesterday. I picked up my daughter from college on Wednesday and found out she hadn't really planned out the bachelorette party and she's the maid of honor! icon_eek.gif

We hurridly (sp?) made 9 mini cakes, 2 dozen cookies, set the menu, shopped at midnight like madwomen, rented videos, got party supplies, and raided my "catering closet." Everyone was impressed but my house showed the rush. I'm now chillaxing while hubby picks her up from the rehearsal dinner.

At least she handed one of my biz cards to a bridesmaid. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #21 of 60

Way to go, cheatize! Especially the part about making sure your business card got out there! I hope your daughter made everybody understand what a magician you are!

catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #22 of 60

Cherie...how hard this has to be...to start out with a cake design that was supposed to be a very happy one and now have to convert it to such a somber one. (((HUGS)))

Cat

Stella2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stella2010 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #23 of 60

This is my first Friday Night Cake Club as well! Made a practice cake for an upcoming birthday for a 7 year old boy. He wants Lego Star Wars. I was pretty happy with the Qui Gon Ginn I made. My kids were really happy when we served it up. Most cakes don't stay around for our consumption icon_biggrin.gif

Now, researching on-line. Trying to come up with a catchy name for my business so I can make business cards, etc.

Stella

leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #24 of 60

Gosh a couple of years ago, someone posted that in the olden days around here, there used to be a FNCC, where everyone who was up working could check in, get questions answered, etc. It was the one thread where people would regularly check in on Friday Night when a LOT of us are working. Whoever that was just lamented that it had faded away.

Soo, not being one to question who is the proper person I just jumped in and restarted the FNCC. I've only missed one Friday night, well maybe 2, because I remember a storm. Heck I even checked in from the cruise ship a few weeks ago!

Marianna46 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #25 of 60

Well, Leah, you have our eternal thanks for starting it back up. Even when I don't have anything to say, I'm usuallly lurking. Here's the Mustang photo, just to justify my existence. It's too short, too high off the ground and too lumpy, but what fun! Hope to do better next time!
LL

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #26 of 60

hi, still working on perfecting the hand. Also been playing with my new daisy fondant cutters. went to hobby lobby today to get some supplies. I hope oneday they get REAL cake supplies. Did find a few things, not the clay extruder that i went for tho icon_sad.gif but my americolor gel colors and sheens came in today!! icon_biggrin.gif how they crammed 60 bottles of color into this small box amazes me. so I am playing a few minutes and then looking at posts ..back and forth. I have now shelved the hand until tomorrow.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #27 of 60

I have 3 wedding cakes I'm working on for tomorrow. Delivered one tonight, 3 more to go! icon_smile.gif

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #28 of 60

up way too late. working on a princess cake and a "princess racecar cake" for a customer's 5 year old daughter. Worked all day yesterday and today in my friends chocolate shop (also makes pastries and cakes). Then home to make my own customers orders. burning the candle at both ends! ready for sunday afternoon and an extra nap!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Gosh a couple of years ago, someone posted that in the olden days around here, there used to be a FNCC, where everyone who was up working could check in, get questions answered, etc. It was the one thread where people would regularly check in on Friday Night when a LOT of us are working. Whoever that was just lamented that it had faded away.

Soo, not being one to question who is the proper person I just jumped in and restarted the FNCC. I've only missed one Friday night, well maybe 2, because I remember a storm. Heck I even checked in from the cruise ship a few weeks ago!

I like that about you! I was once part of a church and the kids wanted to do a musical. I volunteered for it but was told I couldn't step in until the last person in charge of such things stepped out voluntarily. I was not to ask the person about it or anything, even though she hadn't done one in over 5 years.
I say, "Step in and take care of bidness." Hooray for you and many thanks! I like reading about people caking in nearly real time. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the story!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:08am
post #30 of 60

Wow you ladies are very busy! It's funny, that's since school has ended I have not had a cake order. I am a school teacher and I have had about a cake a week for a while, but I do have a cake for next week. A man fixed my tire for free. Can't wait to bake him a cake. I love ya'll on CC and thanks for all of your advice. It's funny summer school starts next week and I bet that's when the cakes will start rolling in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%