Wedding Cake Cutting Tradition? What Knife?

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 1:03am by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 3

Ok, the big day is on Saturday and I am working on these cakes in hopes all will go well.
5 tier wedding cake for 200 people is the biggest thing I have ever attempted.

Anyway, I have a question about the cutting knife. There will be the cake knife that the bride and groom use to cut the cake on the table. My question is do I use the same knife the couple used to cut the cake servings or do I bring my own knife?

I am just wanting to make sure I do this all correctly. Thanks!

2 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 3

If I were staying and cutting the cake, I'd bring my own knife. You have no idea what kind of knife the ceremonial cake cutting knife will be. It could well be some flimsy dull thing with a plastic handle, awkward grip and wobbly blade, all with ribbons and netting tied around it to get in your way. Not fun cutting a whole cake with that and not what it's intended for.

If you are leaving the cake for the venue/caterers to cut, they should have what they need if they're worth their salt.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 3

I have the ceremonial knife here and it's a nice knife but kind of thick. I read somewhere that the person cutting should use a thin knife to get a more precise cut?
This will be my first wedding cake not to mention the first time cutting a cake like that.
Thanks for the reply thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%