My New Cakesafe Box! Omg!!!

Decorating By ibake247 Updated 22 Jul 2013 , 12:49pm by Babbo

Loucinda Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #31 of 52

I am with you carmijok on the cab thing...YUCK, and from what I have seen (and ridden!) in those cabs..... icon_eek.gif

They definately should look into the cake safe!

kansaslaura Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:29am
post #32 of 52

This is the kind of equipment that seperates the boys from the men... so to speak. It looks like an awesome investment.---Just like your 5 qt mixer... or in my case a 20qt-- I've got a sheeter, a large professional oven. It's an insurance policy for cakes! I think it's awesome that someone made a container that can totally cover the cake. I've hated hauling uncovered large cakes--worrying about everything from having to stop short to a random bird that might poop on my cake!!

Great idea!

KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #33 of 52

If I did cakes professionally, there is no question but that I would purchase a cake safe. It seems like a fabulous product!

ayerim979 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

If I did cakes professionally, there is no question but that I would purchase a cake safe. It seems like a fabulous product!





DITTO !!! seems like a great investment !!!

Michelle84 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:50am
post #35 of 52

They look amazing - I'd love one in each size! If only they were available in Australia icon_sad.gif

Narie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #36 of 52

Bird Poop!...ick! Never thought of that one.

Ocean23 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #37 of 52

I have been checking these out as well as cake stackers. I'm torn...I love that this is an totally enclosed box to keep out dust, dirt, weather etc but it is so much more expensive than the cake stackers which also seem like a very safe way to deliver. With the cake safes...do you need to order custom boards to go under each tier?

Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:22pm
post #38 of 52

No, no custom boards. I use foamcore! I think KHalstead drilled holes in the centers of her plastic plates so that it would work with them. That is one thing that is great about the cake safe - you don't have to buy anything "special" to use it. I LOVE it. icon_smile.gif

Sues cakes Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 11:00pm
post #39 of 52

AI just recently started baking cakes. I've had a couple of orders and have made some deliveries and it has always been a nightmare I was looking online for boxes and good transportation methods and came across this site. I have a sweet 16 coming up in oct for a family friend that is in ct and I'm in va so it would be a six to seven hr trip up north. I myself think both are a little pricey but my friend was quoted a price of $800 for the cake so I'm thinking it would be a good excuse to charge her for this box only and then I would have it lol. The problem I see with getting these stackers is that I would have to hope that I get all the pieces back were as with the safe I will be able to set it up and take it back. I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments and reviews and I'm thankful to find such a great site with honest opinions Thanks again

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 11:10pm
post #40 of 52

Yeef. Those suckers are expensive. But then again, so is any other permanent shipping case designed to transport delicate items -- compared with, say, a brand new Anvil case, they're downright cheap. (I've never bought a new Anvil case, but I have reconfigured a used one for shipping a small IBM AS/400 midrange computer.)

howsweet Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 11:21pm
post #41 of 52

I'm a professional and it just seems like more work to me. And I sure as heck don't want to be assembling cake at the venue unless absolutely necessary. A properly stacked cake will travel just fine. When I first started, I was always panicked about delivering cakes. After a couple of years of delivering cakes most every weekend, I finally realized there were never any problems.
 

lkern777 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 2:22pm
post #42 of 52

AI have a cake safe and it is the best investment I have made. I would love to have several eventually. It is definitely NOT more work to put it in the box. It completely removes the stress from delivering. I have traveled over 2 hours at highway speeds with no problems. When I get to the venue it only takes me about 15 minutes to unload and I am done. You absolutely will not regret buying one. I bought the medium/short and wish I had bought the medium/tall. If I have a 4 tier cake that ends up being taller than 16" I have to stack the top tier on site. I plan on buying the taller sides/rods that work with the same base that I have to resolve that problem.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 3:43pm
post #43 of 52

I had one rather memorable occasion when I was transporting a pie. Not a multi-tier cake, but a boxed Marie Callender's pie. A grand total of a mile and a half. And I had to make a sudden stop, because of, as I recall, some yahoo who either had no concept of traffic laws, or (more likely) couldn't keep his or her furry friend from running out into traffic. Needless to say, the pie did not fare well (more like "farewell to the pie.").

 

Sudden, unexpected G-loads in directions other than "down" happen. Whether you're traveling a hundred miles or a mile and a half. If having to de-spindle the cake at its destination, and patch the frosting, is the price you have to pay for a system that would likely enable the cake to survive a multi-vehicle pile-up with little or no damage, then I'd say it's a small price to pay.

howsweet Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 4:33pm
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkern777 

I have a cake safe and it is the best investment I have made. I would love to have several eventually. It is definitely NOT more work to put it in the box. It completely removes the stress from delivering. I have traveled over 2 hours at highway speeds with no problems. When I get to the venue it only takes me about 15 minutes to unload and I am done. You absolutely will not regret buying one. I bought the medium/short and wish I had bought the medium/tall. If I have a 4 tier cake that ends up being taller than 16" I have to stack the top tier on site. I plan on buying the taller sides/rods that work with the same base that I have to resolve that problem.

How can it possibly not be more work? Whatever goes on top of the cake has to be packed separately and I often make fragile pieces that travel great on top of a cake but less so in a box.  Living in a large metropolitan area, I routinely deliver steep (5-7-9) 3 tier stacked cakes an hour away. Nothing is going on with those cakes that would make me think it couldn't go another 5 hours. And I'm not sure what you mean by mentioning highway speeds -- there's nothing smoother than freeway driving. It's the regular roads that generally are bumpier.

 

I would absolutely regret paying that much for something I don't need at all. I have peace of mind delivering cakes. They are stacked properly and travel just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I had one rather memorable occasion when I was transporting a pie. Not a multi-tier cake, but a boxed Marie Callender's pie. A grand total of a mile and a half. And I had to make a sudden stop, because of, as I recall, some yahoo who either had no concept of traffic laws, or (more likely) couldn't keep his or her furry friend from running out into traffic. Needless to say, the pie did not fare well (more like "farewell to the pie.").

 

Sudden, unexpected G-loads in directions other than "down" happen. Whether you're traveling a hundred miles or a mile and a half. If having to de-spindle the cake at its destination, and patch the frosting, is the price you have to pay for a system that would likely enable the cake to survive a multi-vehicle pile-up with little or no damage, then I'd say it's a small price to pay.

With a cake you have to drive similar to the way an 18 wheeler drives, leaving many car lengths in front of you, right?  Of course an accident is possible, but if I'm going to take care that something in my car can survive a "multi-vehilcle pile-up with little or no damage", then I will consider getting a good driving helmet before worrying about how the cake comes out.

lkern777 Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 6:31pm
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

How can it possibly not be more work? Whatever goes on top of the cake has to be packed separately and I often make fragile pieces that travel great on top of a cake but less so in a box.  Living in a large metropolitan area, I routinely deliver steep (5-7-9) 3 tier stacked cakes an hour away. Nothing is going on with those cakes that would make me think it couldn't go another 5 hours. And I'm not sure what you mean by mentioning highway speeds -- there's nothing smoother than freeway driving. It's the regular roads that generally are bumpier.

 

I would absolutely regret paying that much for something I don't need at all. I have peace of mind delivering cakes. They are stacked properly and travel just fine.

With a cake you have to drive similar to the way an 18 wheeler drives, leaving many car lengths in front of you, right?  Of course an accident is possible, but if I'm going to take care that something in my car can survive a "multi-vehilcle pile-up with little or no damage", then I will consider getting a good driving helmet before worrying about how the cake comes out.

 

I always think it is funny when people knock a product they have never used. If you don't want to buy one, fine. I'm sure your perfect stacking and driving, not to mention everyone else's perfect driving around you, make your deliveries a breeze.

 

I never had a "problem" happen while delivering before I had my Cake Safe, but the stress was incredible. I worried constantly that if I had to hit my brakes suddenly my cake would get knocked forward and be damaged. My cake does not move even a little bit in the Cake Safe. All of the worry has been taken away. Granted, the first time I used it I was still worried because I wasn't 100% sure that it would work as described on their website (thanks to my husband's skepticism), but after the first hour-long drive (on rough local roads) I was convinced that it was the best purchase I had made in a long time.

 

The only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot have a cake without a hole in the top of it because the metal bar goes through the entire cake. If you want a have a cake with a perfectly smooth top you pretty much have to have a buttercream cake where you can fill the hole and smooth it back over once you get on site. You probably wouldn't be able to do it with fondant and make it look seamless.

 

These are just my opinion and we are all entitled to our own. I'm not trying to start a fight.

DeniseNH Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 7:23pm
post #46 of 52

My husband made me a cake safe. It's a secure box with frozen cold packs in the bottom and a refrigerator rack above them. I put a non-skid pad on the rack then put the wedding cake. Close up the sturdy box and away we go. I also love to deliver cakes completely assembled (no more than 4 tiers). My husband cuts my cake boards for me, drills a hole in the center and inserts a 12" sharpened dowel (glued tightly). I cut small central holes in my foamcore boards and thread them down the sharpened rods. Between the sharpened center dowel, sturdy internal supports and the frozen cold packs, I am ready for anything - but I still white knuckle it to each delivery - force of habit. :-)

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 8:59pm
post #47 of 52

AMy husband is going to make me one. We had it designed and he lost the dumb paper it was on....so we have to start from scratch again, but he works at a metal Fab shop, and there are engineers there that will write programs for him for anything we can imagine and draw up. I am still waiting though.

I agree on the white knuckling trips. I am so stressed when I transport, but there is no way my designs will survive stacking g on site

howsweet Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 11:32pm
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkern777 

 

I always think it is funny when people knock a product they have never used. If you don't want to buy one, fine. I'm sure your perfect stacking and driving, not to mention everyone else's perfect driving around you, make your deliveries a breeze.

 

I never had a "problem" happen while delivering before I had my Cake Safe, but the stress was incredible. I worried constantly that if I had to hit my brakes suddenly my cake would get knocked forward and be damaged. My cake does not move even a little bit in the Cake Safe. All of the worry has been taken away. Granted, the first time I used it I was still worried because I wasn't 100% sure that it would work as described on their website (thanks to my husband's skepticism), but after the first hour-long drive (on rough local roads) I was convinced that it was the best purchase I had made in a long time.

 

The only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot have a cake without a hole in the top of it because the metal bar goes through the entire cake. If you want a have a cake with a perfectly smooth top you pretty much have to have a buttercream cake where you can fill the hole and smooth it back over once you get on site. You probably wouldn't be able to do it with fondant and make it look seamless.

 

These are just my opinion and we are all entitled to our own. I'm not trying to start a fight.


Lol, I don't have to try jumping out of an airplane without a parachute to know it's not going to be a good idea.

 

I've watched the videos - I know what it is and how it works.  Like I said, I used to worry, too and eventually I realized it was a waste of energy. This just seems like overkill to allay what I consider to be an irrational fear or to compensate for an inability to stack a cake correctly (or perhaps drive properly with a cake on board). If people were saying, "I want this product as extra super duper insurance because there's a remote chance I could be in a wreck or have to slam on my brakes", I wouldn't be "knocking " the product, as you put it.  But the tone of this thread is that it's a foregone conclusion that we all need this box and that's very misleading.

 

Do I think there's no place for it in the cake business? I wouldn't say that, but statements like, " This is the kind of equipment that seperates the boys from the men..." are unreasonable things to say in my opinion.

lkern777 Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 5:07pm
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I had one rather memorable occasion when I was transporting a pie. Not a multi-tier cake, but a boxed Marie Callender's pie. A grand total of a mile and a half. And I had to make a sudden stop, because of, as I recall, some yahoo who either had no concept of traffic laws, or (more likely) couldn't keep his or her furry friend from running out into traffic. Needless to say, the pie did not fare well (more like "farewell to the pie.").

 

Sudden, unexpected G-loads in directions other than "down" happen. Whether you're traveling a hundred miles or a mile and a half. If having to de-spindle the cake at its destination, and patch the frosting, is the price you have to pay for a system that would likely enable the cake to survive a multi-vehicle pile-up with little or no damage, then I'd say it's a small price to pay.

I wasn't going to post anything else to this string and then I made a 4 hour trip to Atlanta this week. I did not have a cake in the car with me, however, I almost wish I had to see what would have happened (it would have been in a cake safe). The first 2 hours were uneventful and smooth, but then an 18-wheeler started encroaching into my lane. I was going 75 mph and laid on the horn hoping he would move back over. No such luck. He kept coming and completely ran me off the road. We ended up fish-tailing all over the place when I hit the side of the road and tried to compensate. We drifted like in The Fast and the Furious and came within inches of hitting the trailer of the truck. I somehow got control of the car and stopped on the side of the road. I did have several dozen individually wrapped cookies packed in a box and seat-belted in that were unharmed, but would think that the side to side motion would have wreaked havoc on any cake. I guess I'll never know....at least I hope not. I was unbelievably paranoid the rest of the drive there and the whole drive back.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 5:12pm
post #50 of 52

If you even get the desire to recreate the accident with a cake in the car let me know. I will run you off the road at your bequest! icon_lol.gif

lkern777 Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 5:24pm
post #51 of 52

ALOL. I'll pass!

Babbo Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 12:49pm
post #52 of 52

wow looks great, but its a bit pricy for me at the minute

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%