Removing Corn Starch From Fondant

Decorating By TheHeat Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 2:56am by TheHeat

TheHeat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheHeat Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 12

After I have rolled the fondant and placed it on the cake, what is the best way to remove the excess corn starch? Is corn starch the best to roll fondant with so that it won't stick?

Thanks for the help.

11 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 12

I use a handheld garment steamer to remove cornstarch. Extremely quick and easy.

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 12

I am curious about this too, how does the steamer work for this and how far do you hold it from the fondant?

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeat

After I have rolled the fondant and placed it on the cake, what is the best way to remove the excess corn starch? Is corn starch the best to roll fondant with so that it won't stick?

Thanks for the help.

I saw a video where the guy used a pastry brush

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 12

You can also put some shortening on a paper towel and wipe it down. The shortening will dry and there won't be any cornstarch.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 12

The steamer emits steam, which melts the cornstarch. It just disappears right before your eyes. For my particular steamer, I hold it between 4 and 8 inches from the cake, depending on how much steam I need to concentrate on various areas of the cake. I also always steam my fondant before applying things like fondant dots, stripes, and cut-out. It eliminates the need to paint gum glue, water, piping gel, etc from the pieces you are applying to the cake, which saves time.

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to try them!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 12

I thought steaming fondant makes it shiney so does that not happen?

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #9 of 12

You can wipe with alcohol - like vodka - but that leaves the fondant shiny. I've not tried the steamer. I've had the BEST luck with a bristle pastry brush - not a silicone one but a regular one. I just brush briskly - find that cornstarch brushes off easier than powdered sugar.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I use a handheld garment steamer to remove cornstarch. Extremely quick and easy.

Me too! It is so easy. With mine I have to make sure I don't point it down towards the floor because it doesn't have a tendency to spit little drops of water which will leave spots on the fondant. Steaming will leave the fondant shiny for a little bit but the shine fades as it dries (at least it does for me). I don't have much luck with a pastry brush. It brushes off a big portion but my fondant (especially if its dark in color) still looks chalky.
tigerhawk- does brushing/wiping with alcohol not leave the fondant streaky? what do you use to wipe it on?

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #11 of 12

I saw a tuitorial on satin ice fondant web site, Ron Ben Isreal shows how to apply the fondant, then after he uses a "handy wipe" dampened to celan up. You can have it wet or damp as you like to control shine. Better yet, i find them at dollar stores for a buck/10 pk.
I also use a steamer sometimes to complete my cake, but i really love this method to clean up after initial covering!
Blessings

TheHeat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheHeat Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for your help. I do not have a steamer and willnot be able to get one in time for my next cake. I have tried the alcohol and it did leave it steaky especially on dark colors. What I ended up doing on my black cake that this happened on was making it all kind of wet looking. I couldn't get the spots of cornstarch off, so I wiped down the whole cake. It actually turned out ok. I'll look into the handi wipes and pastry brush. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%