Coco Pops Cake Competition At My School! Ideas?

Decorating By crazy__caker Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm by 7yyrt

crazy__caker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy__caker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 13

So its my friends birthday on Tuesday, and she's having a Coco Pops cake competition. I'm 13 and I love cake decorating. I've got 32 tips, a small rosenail, a turntable and piping bags(obviously). Just tellin ya my materials. Anyway.
So I've got to come up with a coco pops cake. I only have two 8" baking tins for a layer cake and one 8" baking tin for a cake thats not layered.
On google there's a coco pops teddy cake, but one of my friends is already doing that. I need a great cake idea thats related to coco pops! I'm making a chocolate cake, and I need ideas of how to decorate it. I really want to win haha icon_smile.gif but yeah, any advice would be great!
anything coco pops related x

12 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 13

Do you mean cocoa puffs, the little chocolate balls with the bird that says I'm cuckoo for cocoa puffs?

If so, have you thought about making a cake totally out of cocoa puffs, kind of like how you would make rick krispy treats? You could make an 8" cocoa puff cake, just form it in a well buttered pan, and then make a smaller round for the top, depending on what types of dishes you have, use something that would give you a round shape about 4-5" wide, and then stack them, decorate using her fav colors of icing!

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 13

What about making a cocoa puffs ice cream cake? Use your two cake pans and then divide your mixture in half and press into the bottom of each pan. Partially melt some vanilla ice cream and put between the 2 layers. Then freeze. You can ice with BC or cool whip & refreeze. HTH

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

Do you mean cocoa puffs, the little chocolate balls with the bird that says I'm cuckoo for cocoa puffs?

Kellogs does make a Cocoa Pops cereal. It's the UK/Australian version of Cocoa Krispies.

crazy__caker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 13

Oh! Sorry, I forgot they don't have Coco Pops in America. But yeah, they're the same as chocolate rice crispies-much smaller than Cocoa Puffs.
One of the girls in the competition is already doing the krispy-cake thing, so that's a no-no. And since I'm taking it to school I cant really make it ice cream, as it'll melt throughout the day. But I appreciate the ideas!I'm really looking for a way to Decorate the cake though. Any thoughts on that?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 13

Why can't you do your own version of the bear, which I assme is the cereal "mascot"? Just because another girl is doing a bear doesn't mean you can't do your own interpretation of it, does it? I just googled Coco Pops, and the Kellogg's website refers to "Coco and his gang". Can you do something with that?

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 13

make a bowl of the cereal. the cake could be the bowl with the cereal in it or the cake could be a table with a bowl of cereal on it with milk and a spoon to eat with.

crazy__caker Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 13

No, no! the bear isn't a mascot, thats just an idea. The mascot is a monkey :/ I think I will do that bowl and spoon thing, thank you! icon_biggrin.gif what should I make the bowl out of? fondant?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

make a bowl of the cereal. the cake could be the bowl with the cereal in it or the cake could be a table with a bowl of cereal on it with milk and a spoon to eat with.

I agree with this! I love the "wow" factor of a 3d cake! thumbs_up.gif

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 13

I love all these ideas and am really looking forward to what you come up with - please post photos when your creation is completed icon_smile.gif

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 13

Bowl sounds like a good plan.Look forward to the pics x

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 13

love the bowl idea! oh....also love your user name (crazy__caker)
lol thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%