Silver Fondant

Decorating By BRATTYR Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 3:21am by Creativebakes

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 18

i am hoping that someone might help me i am wondering how to get silver fondant. i dont see any silver colouring for wilton and just wondering what people use.
Thank you!!

17 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 18

I paint mine with silver airbrush paint.
Works Perfect.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 18

Make the fondant a nice grey and then paint it with a mix of luster dust and vodka. Makes for a really nice metallic surface but may take a coat or two to make it look real.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 18

i agree with the grey idea.....you could also try Duff's silver spray found at Michaels craft store. Its a little under $5 so grab a coupon cause its a little can. This would be a short term solution. Long term solution buy airbrush system, etc.

BRATTYR Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 18

thanks you all for your help!!!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 18

I used disco dust on the ribbons on this cake. Makes it a bit more sparkly! HTH!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1706237

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 18

Here's a cake I did by covering first with gray fondant, then mixing Nu Silver luster dust with vodka and painting it on with a soft paint brush.
LL

BRATTYR Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 18

thank you all for your advice!! i tried to make gray with just using a little black mixed with white fondant and it was coming out looking purple!! and then when i applied luster dust it went even more purple!! is there and actual gray out there that i am missing?
and maybe on the same topic i cant seem to get my fondant black. i have tried just LOTS of colour which still looks purple and the fondant became more sticky after adding all the colour. i tried first making the fondant darker with coco power and then added the black and agin was not happy with the result. just ended up painting the whole thing with black and vodka..
i would really apprecate any advice!
Thank you

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 18

It's really hard to get gray with the Wilton black. Use CK or AmeriColor super black.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:21am
post #10 of 18

Start with a light gray fondant and paint with silver fondant glaze. You can find it at fondantsource. Inexpensive and a great product. I like the pearl and the silver. The pearl can be colored using gel colors.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:22am
post #11 of 18

My football helmet is painted with silver fondant glaze. You need to wait thirty minutes between coats.

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:51am
post #12 of 18

In response to brattyr-
I recently tried the Duff brand gel paste. I had a horrible time getting my fondant a nice black, it always turned out purple too. That was using Wilton brand paste color. The Duff gel paste comes in a big tube, like toothpaste. I was shocked at how easy it was to use, and how quickly my fondant took to the color. In less than a minute I had pure black. Hope that helps.

BRATTYR Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #13 of 18

thank you, i will try both and see how it works!!!

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 18

BRATTYR:

Which brand of Cocoa did you try using in order to get your fondant black? I used to use the Nestle Toll House cocoa, but I wasn't happy w/the way it would look w/black mixed in, either, so I switched.
I now use the Hershey's 100% Cacao Special Dark blend....that in itself gets it nearly black to begin with....always works like a charm for me. I use the traditional MMF recipe, so don't know if that differs from what you use or not. The taste is really good, too. So far, everyone has eaten my black fondant & some say it tastes like a tootsie roll.

HTH...Crystal

BRATTYR Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #15 of 18

thanks hobbymommy, i was just using a standered coco but i have tried it in rolled fondant and MMF. i would be interested to try with the dark coco because i like the chocolate taste that it gets. how much coco would you mix in? just keep going until your fondant is really dark?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 11:46pm
post #16 of 18

I have tried painting on grey with lustre dust, but have found that dry dusting grey fondant is by far a superior technique. Try it and you will see. I use a cheap blush brush.I used it on my guitar cake and my blackberry cake.

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #17 of 18

BRATTYR:

Using the traditional MMF recipe, I just substitute some powdered sugar with 3/4 C of the Hershey's Dark cocoa.

Good luck! =)

Crystal

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #18 of 18

can luster dust and vodka be used for stencil? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%