How Do I Make This Flower?

Decorating By Ladybug09 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm by KTB4

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 20

I've looked & looked & looked but cannot find anything that gives me a clue as to how to make this flower. http://tweetphoto.com/18529581

My first thought was using gumpaste or a fondant/tylose combo, cutting the petals out individually & building it, similar to how I build a loopy bow but I don't really like how my "glue" turns out when I make the bow. It never seems to hold well.
Anybody have any suggestions or is that the way to go?
As always, I appreciate any assistance!

TIA

19 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 20

Looks like piped royal icing to me, but I can't tell you which tip off hand.

Rae

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 20

It's a gorgeous flower, so I hope someone has the answer!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #4 of 20

To me, it doesn't look like anything handmade, but rather dried.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #5 of 20

It looks like a dahlia to me if that helps you search.

krae0057 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krae0057 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #6 of 20

I agree with CWR41. You can see little fibers coming off of it, so I would guess it's a dried flower or made of paper.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 20

The idea of it being dried got me thinking--and I found a photo of it on a dried flower website. No name, bit it's definitely the same flower.

http://hubpages.com/slide/wholesaledriedflowers

Rae

nidachi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidachi Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 20

This is definetely a dried flower. I have seen it at Michaels where the dried flowers are. It's very pretty, but the tag had no name as to the type of flower or material it was made of.

Ladybug09 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 20

I really did wonder if it was silk or dried but I still need to recreate it from gumpaste b/c my client wants everything edible. I worked on it last night & it seems the best way to go about it, is to cut out each petal & build it up.

Thanks for your input!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 20

I thought for sure it was royal icing and that tip that looks like a double 81 (it's some type of ruffle tip)...like #100 on this page but bigger http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30E3AD-475A-BAC0-5B5F72A2563BB9A0&fid=3E332511-475A-BAC0-55A40A5591617A55 then, pinch the ends to a point.

Ladybug09 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 20

Well I might try it using royal icing today & see how it turns out.
Thanks!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 20

I have a flower like this, it is a dried one I got at Michaels. So I'd question if it was a real/dried flower or if it is an edible one.

Maybe you can see if Michaels still have it so you can atleast have something sitting there to look at while you try to recreate it.

Ladybug09 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I have a flower like this, it is a dried one I got at Michaels. So I'd question if it was a real/dried flower or if it is an edible one.

Maybe you can see if Michaels still have it so you can atleast have something sitting there to look at while you try to recreate it.

Oooh...excellent idea!!! Thank you. icon_biggrin.gif

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #14 of 20

This cake was made by Papillon cakes in Toronto/Regina,Canada- i would think if you emailed them they would let you know if it was dried or created by them and perhaps give you some help as to how to go about making it??

I think it's dried myself- but never hurts to ask!

http://www.papilloncakes.ca/

Hope that helps!!

thumbs_up.gif

Ladybug09 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 20

Oh wow...you all are FAB!
Thanks Kellymarie!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:48pm
post #16 of 20

You're very welcome!

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 20

Did you ever get a response to your question and figure out what kind of flower it is? I've been asked to make the same cake for a friend but am unsure how to go about the flower on top.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Ladybug09 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:05am
post #18 of 20

KTB4, I could never find anything like it. I even reached out to the originator & they said it was a gumpaste flower & "an original" design. icon_smile.gif

So I ended up cutting each petal individually & building it one at a time, one layer at time. If you look at my pics you'll see it on the black cake w/ silver ribbon. I wasn't 100% pleased & wished I could've rounded it out more but the client was happy. Message me if you have any more questions. Good luck!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #19 of 20

Is it just me or does it look kind of like orange segments? icon_confused.gif I don't think it is... but wouldn't that be fun to make a flower out of oranges! icon_lol.gif

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks Ladybug09 - I'll check out your pics for sure and I just may ask you for help. The bride is now looking at a cake topper so I may not need to worry about it.

Thank goodness she's a friend and paying me well because for all the changing her mind she's done I'm ready to smack her LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%