Fondant Question Urgent

Decorating By gen13 Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 9:30pm by gen13

gen13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gen13 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 7

I am decorating a rock climbing wall cake with fondant. This is the first time I am using fondant. I made MMF recipe and the consistency seems perfect. Not too stick and not too dry. I iced the cake and put it in the freezer. I took it out and put the fondant over it. It is really sticky now that it is on the cake???? Should I take it off and do it again or put another layer of fondant over? Why did it get so sticky? It is a really hot day and temp in house is high. It is getting shiny it is so sticky.
Thanks a bunch!

6 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 7

Was your cake still frozen?
That would have something to do with it.

I have heard many others put entire fondant covered cakes in the fridge and whenthey take them out they leave them sit to come to room temp a couple of hours and the condensation takes care of itsself.

Personally I have never done that. I have however, put many a cake in the fridege that had fondant decorations on them and I only use MMF.

Try letting it just come to room temp before you do anything else to it.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 7

can't be sure of exact reason -- maybe because cake was so cold underneath. cake and fondant should be at room temp, and once fondant is on, do not refrigerate -- the condensation will make it get wet & shiny looking. If you can and want to take it off do so. knead it again with some powdered sugar. with your hot weather, it would be best to have it on the dry side to compensate. hope that helps

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 7

Your cake was frozen now it is thawing out creating moisture on the outside of the cake, the condensation should stop once the cake hits room temp then just let is dry then you can continue to decorate it.

If you remove your fondant and start again the same thing will happen, I just put my cake in the fridge there is no need to freeze the cake before adding the fondant.

gen13 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all for advice. I have a large sheeter machine for pasta making and I just added a little more powdered sugar into the fondant and it is not as soft. Should it be easy to make a thumb print in the fondant? I am worried it is still too soft compared to the wilton stuff I bought.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 7

NEVER put fondant on a frozen cake. You can cover a chilled cake with fondant but covering a frozen cake is not a good idea.

I'd also suggest that unless you're using a perishable filling that you leave your cake at room tempature after decorating rather than refrigerating it.

gen13 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you! Live and learn! I just finished it and I think it STINKS! Oh well practice makes perfect. I had to put it in my bedroom with the air conditioner on high. I also didn't have a board to put it on so it is on a silver tray. I still have to put some sort of boarder around bottom.
I tried to attach a picture but too many pixels.
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%