Odd Question From A Friend

Baking By missmikey Updated 28 May 2010 , 3:36pm by artscallion

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 6

I had a friend ask me if there was a way to use brownie mix,from a box, as a filling or icing. She wants to know if I can make the batter without the eggs and use it to fill or ice the top of a cake. I was kind of like eeww, but she thinks it would be great. Any ideas or suggestion or do you even think it is possible?

Thanks

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 6

Tell her to try it and let you know how it is icon_smile.gif

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 6

There is flour in brownie mix. Why would anyone want to make a filling/frosting with uncooked flour in it ? I vote...don't bother.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 6

I know exactly what's she is thinking! Raw brownie batter tastes awesome!! But I come from the raw cookie dough camp, too. icon_lol.gif

I think it might be too runny, but maybe if you experimented with less water? I can actually see possibilities as a filling, not an icing.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Tell her to try it and let you know how it is icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamus

There is flour in brownie mix. Why would anyone want to make a filling/frosting with uncooked flour in it ? I vote...don't bother.

I have a whole series of fillings/frostings based on raw cookie doughs (from chocolate chip to snickerdoodle to gingerbread) that contain uncooked flour. They are mostly an adaptation between the cookie recipe and American buttercream recipe, without the eggs and baking soda. They are the most requested of all my frosting/fillings.

I wouldn't use a brownie mix because it contains leavening, which is nasty when raw. But a scratch brownie recipe could be adapted to a frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%