Gumpaste

Baking By ChristianD Updated 18 Oct 2013 , 3:30am by johnbailey64

ChristianD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianD Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 7

i am about to make my first batch of gumpaste. I have some Wilton gumpaste mix. The directions on the can say to mix 1 pound of gumpaste mix with 1/4 of water. My question is how many cups equals one pound? I also have some gumtex. When do I mix the gumtex with the gumpaste? Thank you in advance for all of your advice.

6 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure how many cups equal a pound. I know that there are eight (liquid)ounces in a cup but I'm not certain if dry ingredients are measured the same. icon_confused.gif

Where in Arkansas are you located? icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianD

i am about to make my first batch of gumpaste. I have some Wilton gumpaste mix. The directions on the can say to mix 1 pound of gumpaste mix with 1/4 of water. My question is how many cups equals one pound? I also have some gumtex. When do I mix the gumtex with the gumpaste? Thank you in advance for all of your advice.

I can't help with your measurement question but I think the Wilton Gumpaste mix already has Gumtex mixed in, I could be wrong, but I think it was a just add water mix. The gumtex is for making your own gumpaste like adding it to fondant.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

I believe that the can of mix is a lb. So if it is , just pour that in a bowl, measure 1/4 c water in a liquid measuring cup. And mix. i I use to make this for class for the students when i taught g/p classes. But haven,t lately. When they came out with the premade g/p, i really liked it , so that is what we use in class. Love to work with wilton premade and nick lodges recipe. Either or. You don,t use gumtex in this recipe. ONly add it to premade fondant to make g/p. Sometimes, you have to add little extra powder sugar to make this g/p stronger and no so soft. hth I just checked a site to be sure. It says to just mix the can of powder with the 1/4 c. of water. And again, i usually had to add little powder sugar (little at the time.)to make it a little more stiffer and not so soft.

Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 7

When it comes to measuring you are miles ahead of the game if you scale your ingredients. Invest in a small kitchen scale if you possibly can and then convert your recipes to weights. All measuring devices are not created equally and you will have undependable results unless you use exactly the same cup for the same measurement in the same recipe every time. Some measuring cups are created for wet ingredients and some for dry and many of them vary. If you measure a cup of sugar in one of your cup measuring devices and weigh it, then repeat the process with another measuring cup, I`m betting you will get differing results.

If you go by weight then you will know that you are adding the exact same amount of water to the exact same amount of gum paste mix every time.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:15am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I'm not sure how many cups equal a pound. I know that there are eight (liquid)ounces in a cup but I'm not certain if dry ingredients are measured the same. icon_confused.gif

Where in Arkansas are you located? icon_smile.gif

Sorry to ask that again icon_redface.gif I remember now that you're in Little Rock.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 3:30am
post #7 of 7

I saw a tutorial that says 4 cups equals a pound, but google it to confirm, I'm sure you can find it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%