Cake Sticks

Baking By Barbi1024 Updated 24 May 2010 , 2:02am by ChRiStY_71

Barbi1024 Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 17

Okay I knoe this is cake 101...but why does my cake keep sticking in the pan, I have used pam, i have sprayed and used a light dusting of flour, but a part of it ALWAYS sticks....any suggestions??? icon_sad.gif

16 replies
floral1210 Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 17

Sometimes when a cake sticks for me it is because if a small area is not greased as well, and the cake hasn't cooled quite enough, that area will stick. Just a thought...

Adevag Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 17

If you like the cake as a recipe (besides that it sticks), you can cut out parchment paper to fit on the bottom of your cake pan. Grease your pan first, then place parchment paper on the bottom, grease the top of paper and then flour it all before you pour in your batter. (Or spray with pam if that is what you use) thumbs_up.gif

rebecabpg Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 17

I dont like PAM, it tends to leave a film over the pan over time. I use the Baker's Joy with flour spray http://www.kitchenkapers.com/baker-s-joy-non-stick-spray.html It has always worked for me, otherwise I use butter and flour, again, it always works for me. Make sure its well coated. Dont just use a little amount, be generous and it shouldnt stick.
Hope this helps icon_redface.gif

carmijok Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 17

I will give you my NEVER FAIL pan trick. Grease well with Crisco and flour (making sure to tap out excess flour). Then spray it again with Pam. This has never ever failed me. Even the sticky heavy cakes. Corners come clean. I've also used Parchment paper in the bottom (after greasing and flouring). then I've sprayed it too. It may seem overkill, but it beats having to bake a new cake.

Montrealconfections Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 17

Try rubbing the pan with Crisco the flouring that mine just pop out.

leily Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 17

also, how long are you letting it cool in the pan? Sometimes the pan grease/sprays can act as a glue if you let the cake cool too long because they become hard.

Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 mins and then flip out (and flip again so that the top of the cake is on top again) before the grease/spray cools completely.

Dizzymaiden Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 17

I use Baker's Joy, it has a bit of flour in the spray. Then I put parchment paper down and spray a bit more.

I wait until the cake is almost warmer than room temp and turn over into clear plastic wrap. It gets really moist overnight.

metria Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

also, how long are you letting it cool in the pan? Sometimes the pan grease/sprays can act as a glue if you let the cake cool too long because they become hard.

Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 mins and then flip out (and flip again so that the top of the cake is on top again) before the grease/spray cools completely.




Agreed. I use Baker's Joy and remove the cakes after 10-15 minutes of cooling. Longer than that, in my experience, the moisture from the cake cooling starts to make your anti-stick method backfire.

cheatize Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecabpg

I dont like PAM, it tends to leave a film over the pan over time. I use the Baker's Joy with flour spray http://www.kitchenkapers.com/baker-s-joy-non-stick-spray.html It has always worked for me, otherwise I use butter and flour, again, it always works for me. Make sure its well coated. Dont just use a little amount, be generous and it shouldnt stick.
Hope this helps icon_redface.gif




Thank you!!! I've thought this for years but everyone around me thinks I'm crazy.

pianocat Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 17

Bakers Joy and parchment or wax paper and it won't stick.

leah_s Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 17

wax paper and pan grease

ChRiStY_71 Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 17

I started using the cake release recipe that someone posted on here...it works great for me! I can't use aerosol sprays because I have a Macaw in the house (in my Florida room...but on the same venilation unit as my kitchen) and aerosol sprays can cause serious problems for birds.

cutthecake Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 17

I thought this thread was about "cake sticks" (like "cake balls" or "cupcakes"), and I thought it sounded like a great idea! Does anyone have a method for making "cake sticks" that won't break?

chellescountrycakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 17

I found that NOT allowing mine to cool for more than 10 minutes keeps them from sticking.. That was why mine were. AND I LOVE bakers Joy. But even with Bakers Joy, if I leave my cakes in the pans for too long, they will stick...

BrightDelights Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I thought this thread was about "cake sticks" (like "cake balls" or "cupcakes"), and I thought it sounded like a great idea! Does anyone have a method for making "cake sticks" that won't break?




lol, I thought the same thing! Mmmm, Cake Sticks sound pretty good!

ChRiStY_71 Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #17 of 17

They do make funnel cake sticks...why not make cake sticks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%