How Do I... Talk My Son Out Of A Yoda Cake?

Decorating By SugarFiend Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 12:57am by nwnest

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:26am
post #1 of 27

So I keep saying, "Yoda... SERIOUSLY? How 'bout R2D2?" and the answer is always the same: just this falling of his little face. icon_sad.gif

R2D2 I think I could pull off, but YODA???

I guess I just have to try. So often the little guy only gets scraps from the cakes that come and go, I owe him my best effort. He and his Transformers cake ARE what started me on my whole cake decorating adventure, after all.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas? I think I'm going to try modeling chocolate for Yoda's head, because with all his creases and wrinkles, I don't think I'll have enough working time with fondant or gumpaste. I've not worked with modeling chocolate yet, though. Can I place it directly on a head I make out of a combination of styro and RKT ? And for anyone well-versed in modeling chocolate, do I put on a big lump and carve away, or am I better off adding a couple of small pieces at a time and molding them as I go?

Trying to achieve "Yoda green" in modeling chocolate will involve plenty of trial and error, I'm sure. And does anyone have any thoughts on how far in advance I can start it?

I also worry that the head will just weigh too much to be attached with skewers or dowels, since in sits a little forward of the body. And speaking of the body, is it possible to make it relatively realistic just using his robes for contouring, as opposed to carving the body at all?

This is by far the most intimidating cake I've ever considered doing. Any helpful hints, tips, or advice is welcomed! (Because I've actually given up trying to talk him out of Yoda...) Thanks so much in advance!

26 replies
cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:05am
post #2 of 27

This was on bakerella...sometimes I can fake my kids out with cookies instead!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/star-wars-cookie-cutter/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7CStar%20Wars%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:31am
post #3 of 27
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 27

That last link, scroll down a bit and there's a cupcake tree. They have little yoda heads on them. Seems doable.

SugarFiend Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 27

Thank you all for your suggestions! Ursula40, that link was helpful - thank you! icon_smile.gif

However, I must apologize, because I have apparently been unclear. icon_redface.gif Anything other than a 3D Yoda cake is just not an option at this point. I think my little guy's heart would break if I presented him with a cupcake or a cookie for his own birthday. He knows the difference. He saw the effort I put into making the apple for his teachers; he deserves at least the same amount of effort, even if it comes out looking weird. I guess my point is this: He believes I can do it. My little boy has utter and complete faith in me. What kind of message would it send if I didn't even try?

So, realistic or not, I'm going forward with trying to do a 3D Yoda cake, but I'm terrified of what the finished product is going to look like. I wasn't looking for other options to make for him, I was actually looking for input on working with modeling chocolate for Yoda's face.

Again, I apologize for being unclear. The bit about talking him out of the cake was supposed to be a joke (made to emphasize my fear of making this cake) - and I thought the rest of my post clarified that. But now I'm embarassed because it obviously didn't, and a moderator even moved my post from the How Do I forum to Cake Ideas. icon_redface.gif

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 27

I really like working with modeling chocolate. It softer than fondant and sculpts a little easier, but you have to be careful of your hands getting too hot or it will melt! I saw a little blurb on here the other day about using cornstarch (I think) when your hands get warm? And it is super easy to make too! I think it will work well if you do small pieces and mold them as you go. It blends together really well. I would probably carve the body a bit to make a basic shape, then let the robes do the rest. As for how long in advance to start, modeling chocolate does harden up if you leave it out and uncovered.

Good luck! Don't forget to post a pic so we can see it!

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 27

Also...for the color, I know that around Halloween time they sell that EXACT shade of green in candy melts. I just checked the Wilton site, and they sell them year round.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=1911-488

Good luck!

NurseNoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NurseNoa Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 27

Here is an idea from a friend's page. Scroll down a bit for her star wars cake
http://www.mycakerybakery.com/Cakery2.html

From experience, you can (and should) make the fondant figurine 4-7 days in advance so that it has time to dry (and therefore become lighter).

Good luck! I'm currently trying to talk my son out of a Little Mermaid cake (purely so his friends don't make fun of him) without much success!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 27

Hi SugarFiend! Did you see that Ursula's link had two 3-d tutorials? I had saved the first one several months ago incase my nephews ever ask for one!

They are: http://sandra-socake.blogspot.com/2007/04/yoda-cake-instructions.html

and

http://tagalishus.com/yoda/

Good luck! I bet your son will love and be proud of his birthday cake!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 27

I just did GIS search on yoda cakes and there are several good 3D ones. Also if you are worried about the head my suggestion would be to make the body cake and make the head out of styrofoam carved ball covered in fondant or MC - your little guy probably won't care as long as you can eat the cake. I had to do this recently with a tiger cake I made and it was the only way to make it work properly as the styro is light enough to sit on the rest of the cake. Plus that way you can make the head in advance (especially with those ears which need some drying time) and correct any errors that develop.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 27

You know what...yoda is funny looking anyway...you get close...color, big ears, robes I think your son will be most impressed with him mommy. You can totally do this and he will love it no matter what. I too would use styro for the head so that you can do it way in advance. If you want all edible then go with RKT for the head. They're pretty easy to mold once you get them smushed up enough.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 27

I thought the same thing when I did my Yoda cake in my pics. The yoda is made by my daughter, (I had 250 cupcakes and wedding cake to do). It is made from white modeling chocolate. I do believe we used moss green for his base color. Kelly green on a toothpick for the sword. We brushed him with a little brown petal dust for the weathered look. We then airbrushed the cake deep sky blue. We took white fondant stars and put edible silver glitter on them. For the Millenium Falcon, we cut it out of fondant and used black gel color and lemon flavoring to create varying shades. We were intimidated at first, and he's not exactly a perfect Yoda, but everyone was pleased with the overall results. So don't be discouraged. He will love anything you do with Yoda.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 27

Hey did you see this one it is a photo tutorial for making a standing 3-D Yoda cake!

http://sandra-socake.blogspot.com/2007/04/yoda-cake-instructions.html

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 27

Dude here is another one!

http://tagalishus.com/yoda/

LOL..... "Now I know I said 100% edible, but listen, Rice Krispy treats do not good ears make."

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 27

Great tutorials! will be really handy if I ever need a Yoda cake!

SugarFiend Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 27

Thank you again! Just an update: The 3D is still definitely going forward. I've gotten most of Yoda's head done. It's RKT covered in modeling chocolate. It's pretty heavy, and the ears aren't even attached yet. I have NO idea (aside from pletny of dowels) how it's not going to tear up the top layer of cake. Here it is, if anyone's interested.

(BTW, I've never posted an attachment, so this might not work![/img]
LL

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 27

It worked beautifully-both the cake and the attachment! I'd love it if you'd keep us updated on your progress!

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #18 of 27

Sooooo awesome! You are doing a great job. It's so realistic it's kinda scary. My daughter came into the room and recognized the picture as Yoda straight away.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #19 of 27

Wow, I can't wait to see the rest of it

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #20 of 27

WOW he looks awesome!!!

lorilori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorilori Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #21 of 27

Wow! The face would have been the scariest thing for me, but yours is stunning! I can't wait to see the final product icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFiend Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #22 of 27

Wow, thank you! The face was the scariest part, definitely. I was kinda thinking it looked more like E.T. than Yoda. icon_confused.gif I've spent so much time worrying about his face that I haven't given much thought to the structure of the rest of him. I have a general idea, but it will probably be a "make it up as I go along" sort of thing.

Now my biggest worry is that I have enough support to hold his head up. It's pretty front-heavy. I'm sure the party will be all sorts of fun if Yoda's head rolls off his body in front of a bunch of 6 year-olds! icon_surprised.gif

SugarFiend Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #23 of 27

Well, Yoda was finally finished. His ears are too big and I forgot to put his feet on. I also broke his cane, which made his hands and forearms fall off, so I had to to rearrange his cane, arms, and hands. So I'm a little disappointed in my fondant work for his arms and collar... I was also going to give him cotton candy hair, but it was too humid and my hands were just too hot - and I quite honestly didn't feel like messing around with work that required tweezers by then.

It's really hard to just look at him and NOT see all the things I didn't do or could have done better! But he was a hit at the party - a lot of kids and parents alike thought he was just some statue I brought in for decoration (until I stuck a Darth Vader candle on his head).

But here he is anyway, flaws and all! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1698983

Thanks to all on CC for your help!

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #24 of 27

He is amazing!! You and your son must be on cloud nine. What a great mom and what a great son for having the confidence you could go it. Again congratulations.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #25 of 27

Wow! That looks great! Your son must have been loved it, that is an awesome birthday cake icon_biggrin.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #26 of 27

He looks awesome! One of the best I've seen!

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #27 of 27

Most of us are overly critical of our own work. It seems like there's always something that could have been done better or differently.

It really turned out nicely. Just an incredible cake. Your son must have been thrilled, and I hope you were able to enjoy the party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%