Experienced Wedding Cake Bakers-- I Have A Question

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 19 May 2010 , 4:14am by 2txmedics

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:13am
post #1 of 7

Do any of you bake three layers rather than torting and filling? I would rather do that than try and torte such big cakes. Does anyone else do that? If I'm making a 16" layer-- 2" deep and it takes 15 cups of batter per layer, then should I do 3 layers of 10 cups each?

6 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:56am
post #2 of 7

no, it takes longer to bake 3 separate layers (since I don't have 3 pans of my large sizes) than it does to torte

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:06am
post #3 of 7

I do all the time because I hate to torte.

makeminepink Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:12am
post #4 of 7

So would you make 3 big layers or try and divide what would normally go into 2 into 3? Thanks!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:19am
post #5 of 7

I bake three smaller layers. What I do is divide the amount that I would use in two 2" tiers into three pans (for example, a 16" tier should take 15 cups - times 2 equals 30 cups - divided by 3 would be 10 cups per layer.) Makes a taller tier -but because I use three instead of 4 layers of cake, probably close to the same height.

makeminepink Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you, Valerie icon_smile.gif Kim

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #7 of 7

Hmmmm, I was wondering how it was done. I hate to torte and Im also scared that when I do it wont come out even...and I will have an un even cake....so I just bake each layer seperate.....but I never thought to bake them thinner to stack them.

What is the basic height of a wedding cake?....is it two layers? or three? or do you bake a reg. size cake height and then torte it, thus the icing in between gives it more height?

sorry...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%