Parchment Vs. Dusting

Decorating By QueenMo Updated 15 May 2010 , 1:01am by leily

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 5

I was dusting some cake pans the other day and was really curious as to what the common preferred method of non-sticking pans was. I've always used the grease and flour method and it works great every time. I've also used the parchment paper with cooking spray(containing flour.) so my question is, what is your preferred method and why? just kind of interested to see what other people use for this basic and necessary cake baking step.

4 replies
lilrhodybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrhodybaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 5

I use non-stick pans (calaphlon) and always grease and flour before hand. If I'm making a chocolate cake, I use coccoa powder instead of flour. I haven't tried the parchment paper and baking spray though.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 5

I use pan grease with parchment circles or squares in the bottom of cake pans.

Pan grease is equal parts shortening + flour + veg oil. I'm a hobby baker so 1 Cup + 1 Cup + 1 Cup gives me a reasonable quantity. I blend the shortening and flour till combined, then slowly add in the oil till it's all combined. I store it in a covered container in my fridge - lasts a good time. Stir up a bit before using.

I brush nice layer using a pastry or silicone brush or a paper towel, slip in the paper and give that a swipe too.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 5

I do the same as Patty T unless I'm doing my carrot cake. Something in my carrot cake sticks so I parchment that oneicon_smile.gif I had bad luck with the sprays. And pan grease doesn't make a mess like flour.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 5

I have another vote for the homemade pan grease. I use this on the sides of my pan and then put parchment in the bottom.

I always use parchment in the bottom because i KNOW that the cake won't stick, doesn't matter what i'm making in the pans anymore, I use it for brownies, cookies, cakes, lemon bars.... Even my cornbread when I make a large batch for a family gathering, pop it out on a cooling rack just like a cake and the cut it and put it on a platter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%