Guitar Strings

Decorating By yummy Updated 9 May 2010 , 6:44pm by costumeczar

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 7

Hi all. I'm not very good at piping straight lines and I don't have a extruder (Michael's never has it, isn't it supposed to be in the polymer clay section). What can I do to get straight guitar strings? I'm making the wilton guitar pan for a 4 yr. old and I want it to look more realistic; does anyone have a template/pattern for guitar accents? TIA

6 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #2 of 7

I don't have a template to help you with accents, but I've used spaghetti (raw) for the strings, lightly brushed dry with silver luster dust.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1166826

HTH somewhat. Good luck!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 7

Thank you Crisseyann. I thought about spagetti and your suggestion about dry brushed luster dust is so easy I was thinking candy melts or something. Now all I need is a template of a guitar faeplate.

saraisweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraisweets Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 7

an extruder works wonderfully. i made a life-size guitar and use a small hole attachment to make the strings. take a look at my photos and see how to turned out. i bought a cheap plastic one from a local cake supply shop and zipped in the microwave for a few seconds to warm the fondant. it came right out

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 7

how about black licorice strings?

cakewitch85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewitch85 Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 7

Hi, I made one yesterday for a friend of mine. I used silver string. tied it to a tooth pick. it worked for me I haven't put the photo yet.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 7

If you have time to do it in advance, you can use tylose mixed with water that makes the unbreakable gel. You have to let it dry for a day or so, but it makes good rigid strings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%