Topsy Turvy Prices

Decorating By awestervelt Updated 6 May 2010 , 2:42am by sweetiesbykim

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 6

Being new to this buisness I have yet to figure out how to price a topsy turvy cake. Usually I price per serving and then if it's carved or flowers or very detailed that's all extra but with a TT cake I use 3 different size pans for one tier. I'm not sure how to calculate the serving sizes and then what to charge. What do you guys do?

5 replies
awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 6

I can't believe no one has any suggestions. icon_lol.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 6

I wish I could help you, but I have no idea. lol... I have seen many people ask the same questions. I think it's hard to figure out. Good luck icon_smile.gif

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 6

As a suggestion, maybe charge according to the size of the middle pan - it's an average of the three.... then add in the extra for carving as you normally do.

Regards,
Cris.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 6

I think someone posted before that they use the middle tier to calculate the servings assuming what's been carved out of the bottom avg is out with the larger top so you treat it like a slightly larger 2 layer of the middle layer size.. Also I think most people charge more for these because technically they are a carved cake and more work as well as more cake if you're using the 3 layers. Hope that helps. And hopefully someone else will respond as well.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #6 of 6

OK -I'll reply! I have Sharon Zambito's amazing DVD on making a 3-tier topsy turvy, and have watched it over and over, but haven't tried my own yet.
From the way she carves and does hers, it looks to me like you would cut it in a grid pattern on the top of every tier, like you normally would. Some pieces will just be taller or shorter than others, but none too short to serve. The shortest side of every tier is 2 cake layers high, and the tallest is the 3 cake layers she starts with. She also tapers hers in, but again, not enough to throw off the servings. If you tapers yours in a lot, I would go by the number of servings for the smaller bottom part of each tier.

You should send her a message about it -I'm sure she would answer. Her CC name is sugarshack. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%