Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By linstead Updated 5 May 2010 , 1:00pm by jobueno

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 2

In February I took Mike McCarey's Mdoeling Chocolate Class. The MC they make is made with Guittard Gourmet White Chocolate Chipps - 2 lbs to 1 cup of corn syrup.

Last nite at cake club a discussion started on this: If there a difference between using tempered and non-tempered chocolate? If using a non-cocoa butter based white chocolate (e.g. Ghiradelli white chocolate chips, Guittard A-Peels, etc.) which usually contain palm oil and maybe some soy lecithin as an emulsifier but no cocoa butter, is the corn syrup ratio different? I found that with the Guittard A-Peels the palm oil separated from the mixture and I had to literally "squeeze" it out of the MC mixture and pour it out of the bowl before I could wrap the mixed MC in plastic wrap - overnight and it looked good, isn't oily and appears to roll well. The cocoa butter based MC is oiler and stays softer.

Any comments/advice/ etc? This appears to be a chemistry experiment based on which white chocolate products is being used.

1 reply
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 2

I have discovered that using Bark Coating works better with no mishaps. The chocoalte clay is actually wonderful to work with. Does not get greasy and hold up very well. As long as that's on the market I will not try any more with real chocolate.
BTW the ratio for Bark coating is 1lb to 1/3 c corn syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%