Can I Get A Woodgrain Effect With Buttercream?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 4 May 2010 , 4:37pm by Spectra

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 7

So I want to make a hockey stick cake for a friend, and she wants to do it with chocolate buttercream. I was thinking of making a really dark chocolate buttercream and a lighter chocolate. Then ice the whole cake in light chocolate, put strips of dark chocolate down the length of it, then go over it with a spatula to smooth it out. My question is will this make it look REALLY bad or really cool?? Wondering if anyone has some great tips to make this effect with buttercream.

Thanks!

6 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 7

Spectra, i don't think the BC idea will work to well without becomming a sloppy mess. You can do this with chocolate in a much better way. The concept is the same just marble some chocolate and you can use a Christmas stocking cookie cutter to pour it in. when it's almost set remove the cutter and trim the end of the hockey stick.

Maybe someone else here will come along with a better idea.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 7

I have done woodgrain with buttercream. After I ice the cake, I take a wide paint brush and "paint" the buttercream. I makes a really cool wood grain effect. It looks best when done with white buttercream, then airbrushed brown. I have a pirate ship in my gallery that I used the technique with.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 7

You can also gently drag a fork through the icing before it sets. Go in horizontal, overlapping lines.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 7

I was thinking the fork deal, the paint brush sounds really cool , I will have to remember this icon_smile.gif

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7

I just did this on a cake (Basketball Court)... go to the Paint Store and get the Roller with the Wood Grain effect. Should be in the "faux" finish section ~ Mine came in a 4 inch wide roller, it was .. TA DA !!!

HTH...

Vicki

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

Awesome tips everyone! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%