Fondarific Help Needed.

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 7:42am by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a wedding cake and the bottom tier needs to resemble a log with bark. I would like to use Fondarific because I really like the taste of the chocolate. Has anyone tried using their fondant in molds? I plan on using a mold for the bark and want to make sure that I get a nice impression. Satin Ice chocolate is really dark almost black and smells like licorice to me. Any help greatly appreciated I need to make a decision and place my order. TIA

6 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't used the chocolate Fondarific because I use the Satin Ice chocolate but I don't know why it wouldn't work. I do find Fondarific to be softer though. If you don't get enough of an impression you can use a knife to add wood grain after the fact. Satin Ice isn't as "black" after you get it out and work it and I think it tastes like tootsie rolls!

Debbie

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 7

I use fondarific alot.
It depends on what kind of mold are you using?
You may have to dust the mold or fondant before
you place it in the mold.

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 7

I plan on using a silicone mold. The makers of Fondarific told me that the fondant is made for covering more than molding that I could add Tylose. Would this alter the taste of the fondant? I was also thinking about maybe mixing Satin Ice and Fondarfic together. I like the flavor and color of one and the molding abilities of the other. I used Satin Ice for the bridal shower cake but when it dries it's so dark.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

Do you have any Fondarific? Maybe try molding a piece and see how it holds up. I use it occasionally but i've never molded with it.

fondarific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondarific Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #6 of 7

Hi Sweettreat101,

You can use Fondarific in any type of mold. Do not dust the mold, press Fondarific firmly into your mold, with a sharp knife trim evenly to the back of the mold, put in freezer for 5 minutes for a medium size mold, pop the mold against the palm of your hand if it does not come out easily, put back into freezer for an additional 5 minutes. Let dry, depending on your area of the country about 1 hour. It will hold its shape beautiful. And tylose will not change the flavor of Fondarific. I have attached a picture that I just received from a customer were she has made an Avatar cake with the tree on top of her cake and it is beautiful done and all Fondarific. I hope this has help!

May you all have a great evening!

Laura
LL

sweettreat101 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:42am
post #7 of 7

Thank you. I love the flavor of Fondarific. I was just afraid of buying a large amount and not having it work and have to pay out of my pocket to buy a different brand. Unfortunately I won't be able to let it dry I will have to mold the fondant and apply to the side of the cake. I will try chilling in the freezer if I have trouble removing from the molds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%