Crisp Edges On A Round Cake? (And Serving Sizes)

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:29pm by denetteb

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 8

I can get my sides nice and smooth, and I can get my top nice and smooth, but I cannot for the life of me get the "corners" of my round cakes crisp. What is the trick for getting that crisp "corner" on a round cake?

Also, I need to do a cake with a base of one 10 inch and one 8 inch layer. Would this be enough for 60 people (comprised of adults and children), or do I need to do two layers of each size?

7 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:16am
post #2 of 8

I had a hard time with the top corner till I watched some videos on youtube. The ones I liked best were by tonedna and serious cakes. The turning point for me was seeing that they brought their blade from the edge to the center, turn a bit, edge to center, removing frosting as you go. Prior to the videos I held the blade and turned the cake so I was removing frosting in a circle. Hard to describe but it made a big difference. OOO, I found it. http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1?blend=2&ob=1#p/a/u/1/dIXHFqpJK84

A 10 inch round will make 38 servings and 8 inch will make 24 servings that are 1 inch by 2 inch by 4 inches in size.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #3 of 8

The standard height for a tier is 4" tall. It sounded like you were planning something shorter. Standard serving charts assume a 4" tall tier.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:15am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

The ones I liked best were by tonedna and serious cakes. The turning point for me was seeing that they brought their blade from the edge to the center, turn a bit, edge to center, removing frosting as you go. Prior to the videos I held the blade and turned the cake so I was removing frosting in a circle. Hard to describe but it made a big difference. OOO, I found it.

omg - how cute is she!?! and she makes it look soooo easy. I could listen to her all day! icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:49am
post #5 of 8
Trina36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trina36 Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:24am
post #6 of 8

Edna does tutorials. But when you are icing your cake with fondant, do you put that much buttercream on? I never seem to get it right. Do you just put a thin crumb coat on and then fondant, or crumb coat, let it harden then ice some more then cover with fondant. When I don't put endough buttercream it seems that my layers show up underneath the fondant. But when i put more buttercream it seems that it as though there is too much because my fondant seems to look like its limp. i find it difficult to get smooth sizes when using MMF. Does anyone get some sugar lumps after the cake is covered. those thing seem to just appear as the fondant dries.

Trina36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trina36 Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:28am
post #7 of 8

sorry, meant to say that edna does great tutorials.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 8

Sorry, can't help with fondant questions. I am a buttercream only gal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%