How To Get A Product Rep To Respond?

Business By slm0712 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm by littlecake

slm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slm0712 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:35am
post #1 of 11

Recently just opened a new bakery and have been trying very hard to contact a rep in regards to ordering cake mixes and other products. (I no longer want to make my weekly trip to Sam's Club)

I have sent inquires to Dawn Food, US Foods, GM, and even called. I have had no response to any emails or even inguires from their website. When calling I was consistently disconnected and then when I finally spoke with someone after many transfers she put me hold only to let me know that someone would have to call me back.

How do I get representative to give our bakery the time of day for orders?

10 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:02am
post #2 of 11

It's frustrating isn't it! I don't have any experience with the company you are dealing with, but I've been trying to get in touch with someone to place an order with Cupcake Wrapture for nearly 2 months now and no response. Guess some companies just don't want business????? I don't understand it. I could never imagine ignoring my customers. Anyway, I hope you get someone to respond to you soon.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:53am
post #3 of 11

I have the exact same experience. Once it took a MONTH to get a reply by email.
Sending a real, physical made-of-paper-letter with my business letterhead works best for me. Gets me a response within a week.

Of course, then you have to wait several weeks before they actually open your trade account icon_biggrin.gif it's frustrating, but I'm sure there is a good explanation. Somewhere...

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 11

I'm having the same problem...mainly with Dawn Foods. I contacted them before Christmas. Contacted them AGAIN in March. Finally got a response in April by email. Now I'm not sure I want to do business with them if that's how they operate.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

Now I'm not sure I want to do business with them if that's how they operate.

Exactly! If it takes them that long to return your call, how much longer will it take to get what you need delivered to you by the time you need it?

I don't know what's wrong with people these days, but we could all potentially be out of business in less time than it takes them to respond. I feel the same way... if it's not important to them to reply, then they don't deserve your business and you should move on searching for a supplier that does appreciate your business.

Keep a detailed list of those suppliers that never responded, and when their sales reps walk in to try to sell you something, you can show them exactly why you won't become a customer of theirs and tell 'em to get out!

If you really need a particular supplier, you could call their main headquarters location (rather than your local division), and ask to talk to the general manager to discuss the problems you are having with their local sales reps dropping the ball and not responding. That usually gets a quick response, and the manager may even have you deal directly with the local manager instead of the sales reps.

I hope you get results soon. We can only continue to be patient for so long, then it's time to go to plan B!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 11

i did business with dawn for a couple of years....i now go to sams club....due to excessive price gouging ...and i wasn't fond of the insects they brought with every load.

dawn charged me 75.00 for a 50 pound bucket of fudge...thought that was pretty good.....TILL I SAW IT AT SAMS for 39.99.

got tired of going to sam's...went to another distributer last week to buy some stuff to try...brought it home....noticed the expiration date was from april... LAST YEAR!

i'm done, going to sams to pick stuff up today....50 miles away...at least their stuff is fresh.

this has been my experiance...others may have done better.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 11

Have you tried GFS?

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 11

It is interesting to hear so many having the same problem with Dawn that I experienced. We had a terrible rep that thought we were a joke...he treated us like a bunch of silly girls that liked to bake in mom's kitchen...ARGH!! But, just as we were about to switch companies we got a new rep and he is awesome, he responds so quickly with all of our crazy questions! I could put you in touch if you want!

littlecake: where does one find the fudge at Sam's? So you have to order it from the bakery? I would love to know!!

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:35am
post #9 of 11

I go through sysco. What they don't carry they special order for me. I can use their test kitchen to try new products or create new recipes. I have also tried a couple other companies and was very disappointed. Bakemark was one of them. They had horrible customer service.

slm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slm0712 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:24am
post #10 of 11

anasazi17 I would love if you could give me the contact info for your rep.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 11

if you want fudge at sams just tell the peeps at the bakery counter, i forget what they call it, brownie icing maybe?

just point out one of the cakes that is iced with it...and tell them you want a bucket of this stuff...lol.

i ran out and made homemade with heavy cream and chocolate,,,the stuff in the bucket tasted better to me.

i make awesome chocolate icing mixing it 50/50 with my scratch buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%