How Do I Make Liquid Colors For Painting On Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm by dchockeyguy

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 11

I'm stuck. I see on shows like CakeBoss and Ace of Cakes, that when they are painting on figurines or fondant on the cakes, they have cups of liquid colors, both metallic and matte. It looks like a pretty sizeable cup of liquid color, and it never seems to evaporate. I have been using the lemon extract and petal dust, but it seems the extract evaporates very quickly and it doesn't go on as nicely. Any advice?

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 11

I use my americolor gels straight out of the bottle, or I use airbrush colors, depends on what I am painting or how strong of a color i'm looking for.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 11

I use vodka.. love it & works great for me. Keep it covered with plastic wrap when not using... or seal in rubbermaid tub/bowl.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 11

I'm glad you posted this question. May I piggyback if you don't mind?

When people eat the fondant covered cake that has images painted on it, does the color stain their lips and teeth? I mean... it IS straight color painted on, so even though it's dry on the cake, does it...uhm..."reliquify" when they eat it? icon_confused.gif

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 11

I am also going to "piggy-back". I have been wanting to ask this question for awhile and keep forgetting. . .

When you paint, how quickly does it dry? Does it dry?

Also, do you just dump luster dust in with the vodka or dip a brush in both? I need to make "tools" for a Handy Manny cake and am not sure how to make it silvery. . .

Thanks so much!

b-rat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b-rat Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:32am
post #6 of 11

I use lemon juice with luster dust. Depending what size the item is you won't need much. I usually use a couple drops of juice and dip the brush into the dust and mix till its consistency that you can brush it on with out leaving much brush strokes.

Brenda

leily Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

I'm glad you posted this question. May I piggyback if you don't mind?

When people eat the fondant covered cake that has images painted on it, does the color stain their lips and teeth? I mean... it IS straight color painted on, so even though it's dry on the cake, does it...uhm..."reliquify" when they eat it? icon_confused.gif

This cake here i hand painted the bottom layer with straight colors. I was at the party it was served at and don't recall any issues with it "reliquifying" when it was eaten.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=81374

leily Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

When you paint, how quickly does it dry? Does it dry?

This is going to depend on what you paint with. When I paint with straight americolor gels it takes a few hours for it to dry usually because it is just gels. If I mix it with alcohol then it can take less than an hr b/c the alcohol usually evaporates in less than 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

Also, do you just dump luster dust in with the vodka or dip a brush in both? I need to make "tools" for a Handy Manny cake and am not sure how to make it silvery. . .

I have a small little tray that I picked up in the craft department that you would normally put paint colors in, there are 6 cavaties in it. I dump in some luster dust and then add some vodka and mix to the right consistency. But once i actually empty a container of dust I will start using that to mix in, this way I don't have to try to put any extra luster dust back in the container, I can just let the vodka evaporate and us the luster dust later.

For the silver for tools I would use the silver luster dust mixed with vodka, should give you a good silver color. I used it on this cake for the company logo.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25555

rebahoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebahoo Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 11

Okay, so when you use the vodka to mix with gel food coloring or the luster dust, the vodka evaporates and leaves no taste, right? I have to ask because my husband is paranoid since I want to use this method for a 3 year old's birthday cake.

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 11

thanks so much for all your help!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rat

I use lemon juice with luster dust. Depending what size the item is you won't need much. I usually use a couple drops of juice and dip the brush into the dust and mix till its consistency that you can brush it on with out leaving much brush strokes.

Brenda

Did you mean Lemon Extract? I've never heard of someone using actual juice to paint on cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%