How To Package Cookies For Mailing

Baking By paintinggrams Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 2:29am by emilyc262

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 7

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have received a order for 26 cookies to be sent to California and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions on how they package their cookies to keep them protected from breakage. Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 7

I might go at bit OTT with my packaging, but to my knowledge, I haven't had any mishaps with shipped cookies!

I put a layer of shredded paper at the bottom of a box. Then a layer of bubble wrap. I then wrap each cookie (which is in a cellophane bag!) in some bubble wrap, and put them in a single layer. Then another layer of bubble wrap. Then more wrapped cookies. To finish off, I put another layer of bubble wrap and then some scrunched up tissue paper - the most important thing is to fill the box so that when shaken, there's no movement of the cookies !

HTH

Suzanne x

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 7

I start with a plastic food storage box.
1, Layer bubble wrap, leaving long enough that it will come up the sides, then cover the top once full.
2. Wax paper.
3. Cookies. wad wax paper between to keep cookies from sliding. Cover with wax paper.
4. Bubble wrap.
Repeat 2-4 to fill box. Fold over the bubble wrap. Use plastic shopping bags to fill any leftover air space, then snap on the lid. Package this in a larger box with filler, nice and tight to keep from shifting.

This has worked for me, and will be shippng more next week!

iamelms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamelms Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 7

yeah, bubble wrap is defintally the way to go. You can even get little pre-made pouches from target that work great for cookies. I've tried just using newspaper/papertowels for padding cellophane wrapped cookies and it was disaster. The second time I sent cookies, I used the bubble wrap and they apparently arrived all in one piece!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 7

Are you looking to ship decorated sugar cookies? Or drop cookies?

Here are some previous threads about shipping cookies that may help you. Some of these other threads also link to other ones that I may not have caught.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676305-ship.html+cookies
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-675580-ship.html+cookies
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669086-ship.html+cookies
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-640997-ship.html+cookies

HTH

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

I have shipped a great deal and have found it is imperative that you put the cookies in the box stacked vertically. I wrap each one (already in individual cello bags) win the small bubble wrap. I then put a good amount of peanuts on the bottom of my box. I stack the cookies vertically side-by-side snugly, then surround with peanuts on all four sides and top with more peanuts. I then make tags to go on the box that say "VERY FRAGILE", then on the next line "Top Load Only. Thanks!" I also bring cookies to my UPS guys each time I have a box to send and I don't think that hurts. icon_lol.gif When I send USPS I cross my fingers as I watch my box being tossed into the outgoing bin. Even with that, I have not (knock on wood) had any breakage if I pack them this way.

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:29am
post #7 of 7

I ship usps, usually in the flat rate boxes. Same as others- lots if bubble wrap. I have learned not to ship fragile shapes- martini glass, princess wand. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%