Where To Buy Fondant? Or Should I Make It Myself?

Decorating By GypsyQueen Updated 23 May 2010 , 6:40pm by andreamen1

GypsyQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GypsyQueen Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 40

Do you buy your fondant, or make it yourself? I'm new at this and have never used fondant before. I've had a pre made box of colored fondant that I have yet to use, but need fondant for the base of the cake. I know Walmart sells a small box of white rolled fondant but doubt everyone uses that. The cakes on here are amazing and use so much fondant that I wonder where everyone gets their fondant. Please let me know!

39 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 40

I get mines at a wholesale company over here. What area do you live in?

Sometimes when you just can't find a place, you'd have to get it online.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 40

I almost always make my own. I've had great luck with Toba Garrett's recipe, it's in the recipe section here on cake central. Good Luck!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of 40

I have bought the walmart wilton fondant once. It was okay. but high.
So I decided to make the 'kitchen aid fondant' here on the website. Its with marshmellows. I have a sunbeam mixer and it made up great.

Matter of fact, my 9 year old -opps he turned 10 a few days ago-, makes it for me. Its easy, and they LOVE it. It rolls out great, is wonderful for a beginner (which I am!!) AND costs next to nothing to make. Plus it keeps for EVER. unless your kids know where you store it and come by and get a pinch all the time... It also takes color like a dream, and can be painted on.

Both of which I have done.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:16am
post #5 of 40

I make my own. I use Michele Foster's Fondant receipe. It's very high quality and doesn't break the bank. I love the white chocolate version.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 40

I buy Satin Ice. Whatever you decide to do I recommend NOT using the wilton stuff (which is what is at wal-mart) I think the texture is good to learn with, expecially if you plan on making your own, so then you have a good idea of what texture you're after. But not to put on a cake and eat.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 40

I make my own and use Debbie Brown's fondant recipe. I tried Wilton (hated it!), and Satin Ice (dried too fast for me). Her fondant is very soft but dries firm and is great if you're just starting to work with fondant:

1 egg white made up from meringue powder
2 tbsp liquid glucose
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
a little Crisco

Put the egg white and glucose in a bowl, using a warm spoon for the glucose.

Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl, adding a little at a time and stirring until the mixture thickens.

Turn out on to a work surface dusted with powdered sugar and knead the paste until soft, smooth and pliable. If the paste is a little dry and cracked, fold in a little vegetable fat and knead again.

Store in a ziplock bag.

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 40

If you have never used fondant before, I would recommend to first buy a good brand so you get familiar with the texture, the way it feels and the way it acts when you use it.
Then make your own (now you know the consistency it should have) and practice with that. Making your own fondant is a lot cheaper than buying it (at least where I live). I use Michele Foster Fondant and I think it tastes much better than store bought fondant.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 40

I agree with mireillea that if you've not worked with fondant before you should buy a good brand to see what the texture should be. I also agree with her on Michele Foster's Fondant. That stuff is hands down the winner for taste and workability. It's also very afforadable and will come out perfect everytime IF thumbs_up.gif you follow the receipe just as it's written.

GypsyQueen Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 40

Thank you everyone! I didnt think anyone replied so I almost didnt even check back. I will do that then. I just dont know where to buy it because Michaels and Walmart only have the Wilton brand. I watched videos on youtube of people making the MMF...it looks so messy but eventually I want to try it when I know what I'm doing.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyQueen

Thank you everyone! I didnt think anyone replied so I almost didnt even check back. I will do that then. I just dont know where to buy it because Michaels and Walmart only have the Wilton brand. I watched videos on youtube of people making the MMF...it looks so messy but eventually I want to try it when I know what I'm doing.

Michael's is now carrying fondant with Duff Goldman's name on it. I have seen mixed reports, but it is either Fondarific or Satin Ice, so it should be a good place to start so you can see what the texture is supposed to be if you decide to make your own later.

But i wouldn't continue buying it there if you do want to continue to purchase, plan a few days in advance and you can buy either brand online and save a lot of $. It looks like the fondant with Duff's name on it is way overpriced.

mamawrobin Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 40
Quote:

Just want to make sure that you know that I give MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) not MMF (marshmallow fondant) a thumbs_up.gif . Personally I've never had good luck with the MMF but MFF is awesome icon_biggrin.gif

GypsyQueen Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Just want to make sure that you know that I give MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) not MMF (marshmallow fondant) a thumbs_up.gif . Personally I've never had good luck with the MMF but MFF is awesome icon_biggrin.gif

Oh wow, thank you for pointing that out. I forgot to thank everyone for letting me know the recipes too. The only thing I have seen on here was the MMF so I assumed it was one of those. I read through it and saved it. I've tried small batches with the MMF this week just to get used to it. I would melt a handful of colored Easter marshmallows (they are larger than mini marshmallows) which makes just enough to mess around with and test. I checked out Satin Ice and found some really good prices!

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I make my own. I use Michele Foster's Fondant receipe. It's very high quality and doesn't break the bank. I love the white chocolate version.

Where do you find the recipe icon_razz.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 40

Here is Michelles Recipe http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Go to the top page here on recipes and there will pop up a page and on the right side click on what you want I went to fondant and marzipan I believe. Have fun!!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm
post #16 of 40

Oh, and I LOVE the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid!! It does pretty much all the messy work for me! I just add all the ingredients and let the hook do it's job and take out my ball of fondant and knead a bit of crisco into it and voila I have perfect fondant.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm
post #17 of 40

Thanks. i read it. when she say cream do she mean whipping cream and gelatin what is gelatin and where do Ibuy it. thanks sorry to hijack forum

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:43am
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Here is Michelles Recipe http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Go to the top page here on recipes and there will pop up a page and on the right side click on what you want I went to fondant and marzipan I believe. Have fun!!!!

Thank you for answering that. I just now saw sweet sensations post thumbs_up.gif

GypsyQueen Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:15am
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Sensation-Cakery

Thanks. i read it. when she say cream do she mean whipping cream and gelatin what is gelatin and where do Ibuy it. thanks sorry to hijack forum

Not a problem at all...everyone can hijack away because it helps me learn in the process!! lol. The more info the better

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:38am
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Oh, and I LOVE the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid!! It does pretty much all the messy work for me! I just add all the ingredients and let the hook do it's job and take out my ball of fondant and knead a bit of crisco into it and voila I have perfect fondant.

I agree. I would so hate to have to make fondant without my mixer icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 5:45am
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Sensation-Cakery

I use half and half or milk if I want a white fondant. I've used heavy whipping cream but prefer half and half. Gelatin is unflavored gelatin found in the grocery store isle with the jello. It's usually packaged in 4 small packets in a little box. Knox is one brand but I usually buy the store brand. It's cheaper and works just as good. thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:26pm
post #22 of 40

Gelatin is found in grocery store baking aisle it's called knox gelatin usually. Says clear gelatin on the box.

debster Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 12:28pm
post #23 of 40

Wish we had an off brand here that stuff isn't cheap by no means. I was just at Wal-Mart last night and didn't even think to look for it there. Duh

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #24 of 40
Quote:

Wish we had an off brand here that stuff isn't cheap by no means. I was just at Wal-Mart last night and didn't even think to look for it there. Duh

They have Knox at Wal-Mart. No off brand there though. But it is less expensive at Wal-Mart than the grocery store. In my area anyway icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 8:11pm
post #25 of 40

I bet I got a 4pack at our regular grocery and it was 1.89 Rip off I'm off sure.

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:19pm
post #26 of 40

This is a questions about Michelle Foster's Fondant. Can it be made without a stand mixer. I don't have one. Can I mix it by hand like I do for the MMF? Also, the recipe says "Cream" but the instructions say "Milk". What kind of cream/milk do you use?

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:

I bet I got a 4pack at our regular grocery and it was 1.89 Rip off I'm off sure.

I can't remember what I pay for Knox at my Wal-Mart but I pay $1.39 for a 4 pk. box of my grocery store's brand and I can't tell any difference between the cheap stuff and the Knox.

mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie1027

This is a questions about Michelle Foster's Fondant. Can it be made without a stand mixer. I don't have one. Can I mix it by hand like I do for the MMF? Also, the recipe says "Cream" but the instructions say "Milk". What kind of cream/milk do you use?

I've used heavy cream, milk and half and half. I use half and half because it's what I usually have on hand. YES you can make it without a stand mixer. I made many, many batches before I bought my mixer. It's more work but worth it in my book icon_smile.gif Be sure and strain your gelatin mixture before adding to the powdered sugar just like the receipe says. It's an important step that you don't need to skip thumbs_up.gif Also sift your powdered sugar. I hope you'll give it a try. I've never looked back since I made my first batch. It's that good icon_biggrin.gif

On your question about the cream/milk. If you do use heavy cream your fondant will be off white. Using milk or half and half will produce white fondant.

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #29 of 40

I would like to thank all of my fellow cakers. You guys are awesome

debster Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:32am
post #30 of 40

mamawrobin........I have a bulk food store by me and they sell it I found out by the pound, I have to go check now and see how much it comes out to be if it's a deal or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%