Drawing On Edible Image Sheets

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm by 2txmedics

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:00am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I see some beautiful cakes with some awesome art work...and I go and I start to read and it says:

Image was drawn or painted on an edible image....ok first Im alittle lost here, Ive only worked with EI's twice...and I was told that if you dont work quick, it drys out and becomes brittle and breaks.

So HOW DO you draw or paint by hand on one? I mean do you get a dark dark picture off your computer, and then lay the EI on it and trace it with edible markers or paints?....cut it or what?

Curious here...I would love to try it....I have a baby pooh baby shower for my daug. next month at the end of the month.

4 replies
chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:21am
post #2 of 5

I did exactly that. I don't have an edible printer so I just printed the image and traced over it with gel colours that I had watered down a bit. Next time I will outline with edible pens and the colour in the outline with a little paintbrush using gel colours.

2txmedics Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 5

I think the one time I did try tracing on the EI, it was to thick to see through.....so how do you do that? and what do you mean you water it down? sorry Im just lost on this one....I know I had problems seeing through it.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 5

There are three different types of icing sheets out there to use. The Kopykake brand and Icing Images house brand which is the thinnest and therefore it drys quickly. The Lucks brand is the next level of thickness, it handles a little better and the then Icing Images Premium Brand. This does hold up longer in the air before drying, and it is somewhat opaque. I had sheets out all day at the ABE and they were handled and held up well. The ABE was in Atlantic City where it is more humid. But yesterday, in Virginia, I had sheets out for hours before it started to dry. I put it in a bag and it revived itself. There are thicker brands, but those are used for different purposes. I think people also use a rice paper as well

2txmedics Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 5

Wow I didnt know there were 3 different types, I had bought rice paper and didnt like it, and trashed it, when I first started doing cakes...dummy me, didnt save it until I learned more about cakes. lol

Then I ordered some and they are from:

American Cake Image
FDS and KOSER APPROVE
http://www.americancakeimaging.com/Edible_Paper_to_print_pictures_or_images_on_cakes_cupcakes_s/4.htm
But it doesnt say which EI I have!!!! How do I find out? I would really love to learn how to draw and paint on one to put onto a cake as I see some awesome cakes done like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%