Royal Icing Lilies

Decorating By customcakes_stamford Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm by Jeep_girl816

customcakes_stamford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcakes_stamford Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:43am
post #1 of 5

Need some help!

I made a few RI lilies for a cake today and let them dry for about 5/6 hours. However, when i try to take them off the foil, they're breaking. Am i doing anything wrong here? Is my icing consistency not right or shd i let them dry some more?

4 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:11am
post #2 of 5

Oh my gosh! I've had the same issue! I even let my lilies dry for 48 hrs+and they still stuck to the foil ans crumbled icon_cry.gif I did thirty for the Easter cake in my pics and one was usable(well it only lost one petal and I half-a$$ed glued it back on) I used the Wilton RI recipe, so I'll be anxiously waiting for any help/advice too.

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:25am
post #3 of 5

ill be working with royal icing for the first time on tuesday (the wilton recipe) any suggestions would gladly be accepted!!! does anyone recommend a different recipe? difference method?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 5

5-6 hours is not long enough for them to dry. These are going to take longer than the ones you do on the regular flower nail because you have alot of icing that is not touching air.

You can pop them in a warm (just the light on) oven, but you are still looking at several hours before they are completely dry. I usually suggest my students do them atleast 2-3 days ahead of time so they have plenty of time to really dry out.

I've also just used Wilton's icing. Jeep girl were you working with fresh royal?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 5

Yep, I made it that morning, seemed to be a good consistency, piped nice but well, just didn't set up, it set more like crusting bc. I did them thursday morning for a cake I finished Easter morning.They had plenty of time, I think I'll just blame it on strange weather/humidity. That's always my excuse when things go wonky(it's never because I make a mistake somewhere icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%