Guitar Cake. What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm by Bannette

dchockeyguy Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 22

I have agreed to make a guitar cake for a client for THIS Friday. Please keep in mind I have a full time job and do these cakes on the side. My plan is to start with a square cake. Does that sound right, or is a round cake better?
If anyone has any tips on how to do a cake like this, I'd appreciate it. I figure I'll cover the sides in darker fondant, cover the top in a lighter color, make a silver snake of fondant to cover the seams. I know how to do the frets and such I think, but would still appreciate tips.

21 replies
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 22

I actually have started with sheet/rectangle cakes on the two guitars I have done.

On the last one I did, I covered the whole thing in black fondant then did a white fondant cut out on the top. All depends on the look you are going for.

mama2_3 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 22

If you need a larger sized cake, I would try 2 round cakes. One slightly larger than the other. Then I would overlap the cakes slightly, trace where the one overlaps, carve out the bottom one and fit the two together. Of course I have never made a guitar cake, so... icon_rolleyes.gif It justs seems to me to be an easier way for me to get a nice rounded shape as I am not the best carver. Good luck and post pics of it when you're done! icon_smile.gif

idocakes4fun Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I actually have started with sheet/rectangle cakes on the two guitars I have done.

On the last one I did, I covered the whole thing in black fondant then did a white fondant cut out on the top. All depends on the look you are going for.

I started w/ rectangular also. Covered the body in white fondant and then airbrushed. Anything smaller wouldn't have worked for me, but I was doing a full size replica. If it had been smaller, either squares or rounds might have worked.

paulstonia Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 22

Mine was done with a sheet cake. I covered the sides in black fondant and the top in marbelized fondant. I actually made a pattern with my own guitar and just layed it on top and carved.

rainbow_kisses Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 22

I also used rectangular cakes. Mine was a half size electric guitar so I covered it in red and added the white sections. I used fishing line for the strings as they did not have to be edible. By the sounds of you description you are making an acoustic guitar. Try google for a template and enlarge it to get the size you need to print and carve around. makes it so much easier then trying to visualise the shape.

maendings Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #7 of 22

How big do you want it? Wilton makes a guitar pan and when I used it, I just carved the top a little differently. I have a picture on my photos of one that I did for a 10 year old with a Marquee cake to go with it

Colleen

momma28 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 22

I have done several (a friend joked that I should start advertising in music storesLOL) I always start with a half sheet. I make the neck out of rkt. Actually if you prepare its a straight forward easy (if not time consuming) cake.

My guitars are in my photos if you want to look (dont feel obligated not trying to up my views icon_wink.gif ) you can pm if you want and I would be happy to help

mama2_3 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #9 of 22

I checked out momma28's guitars and they are pretty cool. Looks like she's done a few, so I guess she is pretty close to an expert on guitar cakes! thumbs_up.gif

Bannette Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:16am
post #10 of 22

I use sheet cakes. I will try to post some pics.

luvmysmoother Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:04am
post #11 of 22

This link has a template - all you need is a 9X13 inch rectangular cake pan. I did it in fondant (most recent picture in my photos) and it turned out decent and was SUPER easy to do - hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/electric-guitar-cake/11f9e698-0220-4993-997a-967c4112d34c

momma28 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:32am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2_3

I checked out momma28's guitars and they are pretty cool. Looks like she's done a few, so I guess she is pretty close to an expert on guitar cakes! thumbs_up.gif

LOL not an expert but getting better icon_smile.gif My favorite is the Chris Lockwood guitar. Wish I could post a pic of the original (it got removed icon_redface.gif ) it looked EXACT and Chris Loved it!

aliciag Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #13 of 22

If you want it life size, I used 2 11x15 but you have to do some planning to make it fit.

aliciag Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:02pm
post #14 of 22

do you have to do it in fondant?
I did mine in bc and used wilton color mist to darken the edges. Can't help with fondant. lol

djs328 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:21pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Quote:

I started w/ rectangular also. Covered the body in white fondant and then airbrushed. Anything smaller wouldn't have worked for me, but I was doing a full size replica. If it had been smaller, either squares or rounds might have worked.

Yep - me too...did a 12x18 sheet and carved from there. I didn't do mine in fondant, so I can't speak to that part.
I also remember someone saying they used spagetti for the strings. HTH!

momma28 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Quote:

Yep - me too...did a 12x18 sheet and carved from there. I didn't do mine in fondant, so I can't speak to that part.
I also remember someone saying they used spagetti for the strings. HTH!

I extrude my strings out of fondant but wait until you are at the venue, the car ride jiggling will break them

dchockeyguy Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #17 of 22

Thanks for all of the helpful tips! I don't want the cake to be TOO big (They aren't serving a ton), so I went with 10" cakes for this. I plan to carve the cake tonight, then spend a couple of nights decorating it. It will be covered in fondant for those who asked. The side will be a dark brown marbleized fondant, and the top will be a light brown.

Momma, how do you get your RKT not to sag for the neck? I was thinking of doing those, but it seems like they would droop! I was planning on doing foam core for teh neck, but I'd really rather do it in something edible if possible.

You must use a really small hole for your extruder to get those strings out! wow!

KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

LOL not an expert but getting better icon_smile.gif My favorite is the Chris Lockwood guitar. Wish I could post a pic of the original (it got removed icon_redface.gif ) it looked EXACT and Chris Loved it!

You can download a free program (like photoshop) called GIMP and you can just do a collage with the real guitar and then your cake, here is one I did.......the top 2 photos are of the actual guitar and the bottom is the cake.

For the OP, mine was lifesized and served about 50 ppl. I started with a 12"x18" cake and carve a little away! HTH
LL

mama2_3 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

You can download a free program (like photoshop) called GIMP and you can just do a collage with the real guitar and then your cake, here is one I did.......the top 2 photos are of the actual guitar and the bottom is the cake.

For the OP, mine was lifesized and served about 50 ppl. I started with a 12"x18" cake and carve a little away! HTH

Wow! icon_eek.gif How did you do your coloring? It's amazing!

KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #20 of 22

just black fondant and then I painted it with silver luster dust mixed w/ clear vanilla (for the silver streaks) gold luster dust and vanilla (for the gold) and white powdered food coloring mixe with vanilla (for the white streaks)

I made this cake before I really even "made cakes" and was freaking out like the OP, especially when the week before it was due I was emailed the 2 photos on the top!!! I had no idea 1. it was a black guitar or 2. that it had paint splatters/drips all over the thing!!! lol

I went to my local cake deco. store and tried to figure out anything and everything to come up with silver, gold, adn white that could be painted on!

mama2_3 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

just black fondant and then I painted it with silver luster dust mixed w/ clear vanilla (for the silver streaks) gold luster dust and vanilla (for the gold) and white powdered food coloring mixe with vanilla (for the white streaks)

I made this cake before I really even "made cakes" and was freaking out like the OP, especially when the week before it was due I was emailed the 2 photos on the top!!! I had no idea 1. it was a black guitar or 2. that it had paint splatters/drips all over the thing!!! lol

I went to my local cake deco. store and tried to figure out anything and everything to come up with silver, gold, adn white that could be painted on!

I guess I didn't realize those would show up so starkly on the dark background. I can't wait to try it on something! thumbs_up.gif

Bannette Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #22 of 22

Yes, I used spaghetti that I airbrushed I just made sure to join them with royal before I airbrushed. Momma28 are really good make sure you look at them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%