How Do I Get Writing Like This?

Decorating By bluehawk1982 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 2:00pm by cakesbymindysue

bluehawk1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehawk1982 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 13

Hi i was hoping someone more knowledgeable can help me out on this, i want to know what is a good way to write on a buttercream cake? i have the wilton press sets but they are all capital letters (i want lower case letters) and i was hoping to achieve something like this

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=403963

Does anyone know of a good letter press set and where i can get it from
Thanks
Sarah
LL

12 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:29am
post #2 of 13

I'm pretty sure that's just freehand printing with royal or buttercream.

Rae

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #3 of 13

ummmm - this most certainly looks like straight freehand piping to me

and the best thing you can do for that is just to practice!

Print off fonts, phrases, words you like etc. Place a sheet of clear acetate over and fill your piping bag with toothpaste - when finished scrape it all off and back into the tube! When you are done scrape it back into a container to use again ... and again.... and again

Just the correct consistency - doesn't dry up and you aren't wasting ingredients to practice

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 13

Great idea! I never thought of using toothpaste. I will definitely try it. I hate making icing just to waste it.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #5 of 13

Method 1:
If your printer has the capability of printing backwards, you can type out and print backwards what you want in the desired size/font. (It needs to be backwards so when it transfers it will be legible.)
Then lay a sheet of wax paper or parchment over it. Secure the cover sheet so it won't shift while you work. Using a small round tip (#1 or 2) trace the letters onto the cover sheet with lightly tinted piping gel. Then gently turn the paper over and carefully lay it face down on your finished cake surface. Smooth the back of the paper lightly so that all the letters transfer to the surface. It won't take much pressure, and too much pressure will blur the letters. Allow to dry slightly. Next retrace the piping gel letters on the cake with your desired medium, royal icing or buttercream or whatever.

*OR*

Method 2:
You can print it off from your computer. Then use an overhead/cake projector to project it onto the cake. Then trace the writing with royal icing or buttercream.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 13

SugarFrosted.... awesome tips!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

SugarFrosted.... awesome tips!!!

Yes they are icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:29am
post #8 of 13

You're welcome! Always happy to help! thumbs_up.gif

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:10am
post #9 of 13

If your printer doesn't print mirror image, just type what you want...backwards icon_smile.gif 'yadhtriB yppaH'

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:12am
post #10 of 13

Definitely freehanded. My suggestion is to practice, practice and then practice some more. I've seen very few freehanded cakes that actually look good.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #11 of 13

Now that is one of the best tips I've ever heard!! I cannot write freehand for the life of me.

Sugarfrosted thanks so much!!! thumbs_up.gif

bluehawk1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehawk1982 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:54am
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone for the great tips, i really appreciate everyone helping me out icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbaker55

If your printer doesn't print mirror image, just type what you want...backwards icon_smile.gif 'yadhtriB yppaH'

Don't anyone use this method! For some letters it might work (t, i, H, and some others) but for letters like B, p, and y, you'll end up with backwards letters. It sounds good in theory, but you could end up with a bigger problem than you started with if you didn't realize what you had done until after it was on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%