My Cake Balls Were A Flop

Decorating By katnmouse Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm by kizrash

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #1 of 8

I tried making my first cake balls...well YUCK! I tried a basic chocolate cake mix (milk chocolate) and a "classic chocolate" frosting. Not only was my mixture grossly soggy...it had absolutely NO flavor at all. It was like putting wet bread in my mouth. YUCK! I threw me mess into the garbage icon_cry.gif

7 replies
bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 8

You might want to try mixing in less frosting, And maybe even try a different one, like cream cheese icing. I like dipping them in white choc, also. Good Luck if you try them againicon_smile.gif

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 8

I tried making them once too and hated them! It was like mush! I have read some posts since then and i think I put way too much frosting in. From what I read you don't need much frosting at all, and I think I used an entire can of frosting in mine.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 8

I made them once and thought they were horrible--never again.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 8

don't give up! add a little icing at a time. you need just enough for it to bind together ... some moist cakes don't need anything at all.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #6 of 8

I actually believe the cake would have been moist enough to work without adding the frosting. Of course it still didn't have any flavor. I will try making them again but will try for a new flavor...

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 8

I have a post running on how I can melt candy for my cake balls!!!!....flopped again just now....posted a pic of them in that post....

but I bind mine with whipped cream, just a tiny bit....

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 8

I just made some yesterday, rum and raisin flavour but I hardly put any butter cream in them. Just a bit and bind it all together with lyles golden syrup. Yummy!!! icon_smile.gif My son can't walk past my cupcake courier without pinching one and he's my best critic. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%