Just Tried Bake-Even Strips For The First Time....

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 1:12am by glendaleAZ

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 27

and they worked great! If you have trouble with your cakes baking even, try them! The cakes were so flat! Why did I wait so long?!

26 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 27

I love them too!

My mom decorated cakes when I was a kid, and she used to cut old dish towels into strips and used them the same way. Eventually, they would get browned and crunchy and have to be tossed, so I love that the bake even strips last longer. (although they do eventually lose all the silver side stuff)

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 27

Old towels, cut to manageable sizes and wet as you would the strips, work well, too. I read about it here on CC I think, but can't recall who mentioned that tip. It was a great one icon_smile.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 27

You guys will never believe that I have a version of these that are over 50 years old, been used tons (they were my grandmothers) and they show minimal wear...they are so awesome, just like the ones you buy nowadays, but apparently very high quality by the condition they are in!
They are great.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #5 of 27

I just started using them as well, and I love them too! :] I asked myself the same exact question "why on earth did I wait so long!!" :]

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #6 of 27

I tried the strips way back when I began baking. Too hard - but after listening to all of your happy results, I may just try it again! I am up to my eyeballs with CAKE TOPS!!!!! Thanks everyone. icon_biggrin.gif

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:35am
post #7 of 27

Ooh this is encouraging... I've been debating trying them, and it's good to know that they make that much of a difference!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:16am
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

I love them too!

My mom decorated cakes when I was a kid, and she used to cut old dish towels into strips and used them the same way. Eventually, they would get browned and crunchy and have to be tossed, so I love that the bake even strips last longer. (although they do eventually lose all the silver side stuff)

That's what I've just started using and it works wonderfully (I wet the towels first though). I've cut several strips from one towel and keep them with my pans for whenever I need them. The last cake I baked didn't need any levelling at all.

makeminepink,I'm glad the bake-even strips worked for you!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #9 of 27

Has anyone tried the pink silicone Rose Levy Beranbaum strips? I'm wondering how they compare to the silver ones. Although, I must admit that I really like eating the cake tops.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:56am
post #10 of 27

How do you make the strips stick so they don't fall off? I used a straight pin when I did it but wondered if there are different ways.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:07am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy7953

How do you make the strips stick so they don't fall off? I used a straight pin when I did it but wondered if there are different ways.

i have the small set with velcro but just bought the lager sizes and use a SS paperclip thing to keep them in place

i bought them after reading about them on this site and completely sold on the bake strips

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:10am
post #12 of 27

Could someone please explain how to use the towel strips?? I've never used the store bought strips, so I have no idea. I would definitely love to try the towels though!! TIAicon_smile.gif

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #13 of 27

I bought the bake even strips and had such a hard time pinning them together that I just quit using them. I find it just as easy to press down on my cake with a cake board when I take it out of the oven.

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #14 of 27

Honestly, I use a rose nail in the middle and you don't even have to have the strips. And no labor whatsoever. : )

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #15 of 27

i love bake even strips so much. i use bobby pins to attach them and they're perfect every time! pull the strips around as tautly as possible and put the bobby pins on them at an angle.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife

Honestly, I use a rose nail in the middle and you don't even have to have the strips. And no labor whatsoever. : )

Which way does the rose nail go in? So that the top of of it is lying on the bottom of the pan, and then batter poured on top? And does it change the bake times at all? Just curious, because it does sound a tad easier than the bake strips.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #17 of 27

I use paper towels or the towel strips. depending on whats on hand...I prefer the paper towels, I just roll them the size of the pan soak them enough without them dripping and then press them to the side of the pan. I use them till I finish baking all cakes I need for the project, then toss them.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:04am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermom3107

Could someone please explain how to use the towel strips?? I've never used the store bought strips, so I have no idea. I would definitely love to try the towels though!! TIAicon_smile.gif

You just take an old towel, cut a strip long and wide enough to fit around the side of your pan, soak it in water (ring out excess so it's not dripping wet), wrap it around the pan and pin it with a t-pin (any other pin would probably work as well) so it stays in place. It's ok to make it a little tighter if it's falling off of the pan. Once the cake is done you can re-use the towel, just make it wet again before you bake the next cake.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #19 of 27

I used a flower nail for the first time a few weeks ago and I must say it worked wonderfully. The cake came out really flat. I'll definitely be using again.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #20 of 27

For those having problems pinning or keeping them on the pan, I would suggest to NOT try to pin it while it's on the pan.

I get my baking strips on the pans as part of my pan prep. Wrap the strip around the pan; holding it in place, slip it off of the pan and THEN pin it. Then slide it back onto the pan. I usually pinned it just a smidgeon snugger before sliding it back on the pan.

It takes some practice to be able to pin it nice and snug on the pan ... you'll get there.

(Or maybe it's we moms who remember diapers you had to pin while the diaper was on the baby who have the advantage! They had to be snug .... couldn't slide it on afterward! icon_lol.gif

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:52am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoueiriCakeCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermom3107

You just take an old towel, cut a strip long and wide enough to fit around the side of your pan, soak it in water (ring out excess so it's not dripping wet), wrap it around the pan and pin it with a t-pin (any other pin would probably work as well) so it stays in place. It's ok to make it a little tighter if it's falling off of the pan. Once the cake is done you can re-use the towel, just make it wet again before you bake the next cake.

Thank you so much!! I can't wait to try this! I've used the rose nail and it didn't helpicon_sad.gif

millermom Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #22 of 27

[quote="ChoueiriCakeCo"]]

That's what I've just started using and it works wonderfully (I wet the towels first though).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you wet the towels too

icon_redface.gif

millermom Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:21pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

For those having problems pinning or keeping them on the pan, I would suggest to NOT try to pin it while it's on the pan.

I get my baking strips on the pans as part of my pan prep. Wrap the strip around the pan; holding it in place, slip it off of the pan and THEN pin it. Then slide it back onto the pan. I usually pinned it just a smidgeon snugger before sliding it back on the pan.

It takes some practice to be able to pin it nice and snug on the pan ... you'll get there.

(Or maybe it's we moms who remember diapers you had to pin while the diaper was on the baby who have the advantage! They had to be snug .... couldn't slide it on afterward! icon_lol.gif

Debi,
I wasn't a mom yet when we still had to pin diapers, but I changed more than my share of my younger brothers' diapers, and poked my fingers MANY times icon_lol.gif I had to smile when you brought back this memory!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #24 of 27

Oh, meant to also add that I removed the strips from the pan and leave them pinned. So next time, it's already pinned to the right size and I can slip it right on w/o having to re-pin. (Of course I had quite a few and rarely had to unpin/re-pin.)

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #25 of 27

I pin mine on before I put the cake batter in them so I turn them sideways and pin them and they are nice and tight!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm
post #26 of 27

I also place them around the pan , slide them off & make them a little snugger then pin & slide back on, I always make sure the strips are not too close to the bottome of the pan, that way they last longer as the don't burn on the oven rack. I also use a nail on a 10" & up. I never have domes!!! thank goodness. I have also use strips of wet towel & that works very well too.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #27 of 27

Well, I forgot to put my flower nail in my pans, so I tried the wet paper towel method. Well about 20 minutes into baking my cake I started smelling something burning. I went over to the over and found that a piece of paper towel fell off and hit the heating coil. My oven was full of smoke. My kitchen now smells like a campfire. LOL I won't be doing that again. Man, I hope my cakes dont taste like campfire food.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%